Thread: Who has the best deal on a Classic?

Who has the best deal on a Classic?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

There are talks in the office about getting a coffee machine. Who has the best deals on a Gaggia Classic at the moment? Work is going to pay ;D !!!

Hopefully they will shell out for a grinder next.

Cheers
    Derek

TC

Re: Who has the best deal on a Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by mingonn link=1195454583/0#0 date=1195454583
    Hi,

There are talks in the office about getting a coffee machine. *Who has the best deals on a Gaggia Classic at the moment? *Work is going to pay *;D !!!

Hopefully they will shell out for a grinder next.

Cheers
    Derek
    Hi Derek,

Sorry to spoil the party, but I would STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST a Gaggia Classic which is not appropriate for the office environment.

This is a domestic unit, designed for domestic use. What happens when you run it on tap water causing corrosion? Who will clean it and who pays the bill for a new element when someone invariably leaves the steam switch on and the element blows?

At the very least, Id be recommending a HX machine....

I would recommend that the bosses consider a more appropriate solution...

Chris

What is the price jump to a HX? There are only 3 or 4 of us who would use it, so if it is big $$ I dont like our chances.

TC

In which case ask em to buy a good grinder and a plunger and you can think about a machine next time around ;)

I have to agree with 2MCM.

As a Classic Owner, these need good maintenance and plenty of TLC. A good HX machine is about $2000+ and they also need regular maintenance and TLC.

In an office environment getting a plunger and a decent grinder and learning how to make good plunger coffee with top quality freshly ground beans will be a far better idea.

My partner dos this for his workplace and they are legendary for their great coffee.

Hmmm I see both points, but Id rather drink tap water than plunger coffee, and there are other things to consider (caffeine levels for one)

A HX at least has an auto-cutoff to prevent element damage, and a larger tank, and would only need cleaning once a week. HX about $2000-3000, you might consider something like the Ascaso boiler + thermoblock jobbie or the E61 single boilers but I dont know as much about them. However these would still set you back well over $1000 and youd need a grinder on top. Id talk to Talk Coffee and Di Bartoli and see what they suggest, personally.

The classic Gaggias are only really intended for light, single person, home use though.

4 x $3.20 (takeaway coffee) x 1.5 coffees a day each x 5 = ~$100, so if you take off the cost of beans ($20ish) then youre looking at saving about $80 bucks a week on the cost of takeaway coffee for 4 of you, with my sums. That pays for a nice HX and a $1000 grinder over a year, and you still have the asset of a coffee machine and grinder worth approx 75% of purchase price. Sell it to the management as a slowly depreciating asset which improves productivity.

No arguments about shelling out the big $$ here but I work for an impoverished department in a University and they have just shut down our cafe due to funding so dont think they will come at $2000+

I am in Identitys camp when it comes to plunger coffee, after having finally discovered the true glory that is Espresso I struggle with plunger coffee.

I am trying for the path of least resistance at the moment, we have a crappy machine here which pulls dreadful shots even with home roasted beans (courtesy of another CS member) and a daily grind from my Iberital Challenge.

The plan is to get a Classic, show them what can be done, get them hooked then push for the upgrade.

Derek

If the few people that are there are willing to look after the Classic than for three or four people it should be fine. especially if you are only making one or two coffees at a time.

You all have to be willing to use it properly each and every time.

OG is banned from mine because:

a) he makes a huge mess,

b) he doesnt measure the beans properly and check the grinder is empy leaving stale grinds behind,

c)he doesnt tamp properly (and I have told him how),

d) he does not remember to get rid of the excess steam and flush a little water from the steamer to stop milk being sucked into the boiler.

If I am noty home and he wants a coffee than it is plunger for him.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by mingonn link=1195454583/0#7 date=1195515948
    The plan is to get a Classic, show them what can be done, get them hooked then push for the upgrade.
    Derek
    Good plan.

Lizzis right. As long as everybody does their part, you could have very good espresso for relatively little cost.

"The plan is to get a Classic, show them what can be done, get them
    hooked then push for the upgrade. "

That can work. 10 years ago we bought a secondhand Gaggia and
    put it in our Uni dept. That worked fine for a while, but demand soon
    exceeded its capacity and it turned into a Saeco semi auto something
    or other. That spent a lot of time at the shop talking to other sick
    Saecos so was replaced by an even more super duper Saeco. Same
    result. For the last two years weve had a two group Wega and Rossi
    grinder which with a little training stays in good condition and keeps
    everyone happy.

The Gaggia needs care and as lucinda and 2mcm point out, can
    be temperamental. So if at all possible start with the HX but a Gaggia
    will get everyone addicted :)

Great to hear of your experiences Hazbean, sounds like the same model should work here. Im looking around for a second hand Classic or Baby at the moment, just in case the $$ doesnt come through from work. Then Ill be charging per use ;)

Derek

I also work for a university. Its difficult to justify the expenditure on an HX for 3 or 4 people. We reluctantly came to the same conclusion as Chris (2MCM) and avoided the domestic machines. We decided to try a Presso along with my spare EM0480. Its working really well for us and a big thank-you to Cameron for all his help and for the excellent discounts he gives to coffee snob members.

4 people x 2 coffees each per day = 40 coffees per week.

$2-50 per takeaway coffee x 40 = $100 per week.

$100 x 48 weeks per year = $4800.

If you each put away $2-50 each time you bought a coffee you could save up for an HX in 6 months.

Factor in the time it takes to go an buy a coffee and maybe you can justify the expenditure.

Remember to factor in the savings of not buying any more instant.

Things are getting complicated now, the saying Death by comittee is starting to be applicable.

Some one has thrown the idea of an automatic machine into the pot, stating they have one they got off ebay for $400 and it makes a great cappuccino, its a Krupps :-(. You get the picture I think. I asked about budget and they said less than $1000.

Is there a thread out there comparing automatic machines suitable for office use? Is the HX an automatic? Looking for entry - mid level machines so I can give the Committee a couple of suggestions.

Decided to buy my own in the mean time, might give the presso a go.

Derek

Be wary of some autos, if they are not maintained properly they die,
    my neighbours have a saeco something or other that spends more time in the repair shop then making coffee.

I had a friend who said he wanted to get a saeco, I spent the next ten minutes telling him why he didnt want a saeco and as I am his coffee supplier he got the message.

He hazs a dripolater at present and a stove top so it will do him until I take him shopping one day.