Thread: gaggia carezza temp too hot! how to adjust?

gaggia carezza temp too hot! how to adjust?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello! I just got a carezza on ebay and it works fine except its temp is too hot. The coffee almost tastes "burned." Is there a thermostat I can check, or turn down? I never froth milk, I only prepare shots, so if I can turn it down permanently that would be fine with me. Any suggestions would be appreciated, it seems like a fine little machine.
    Thanks, Rick

Re: gaggia carezza temp too hot! how to adjust?

Gidday rickwest welcome to CS forum.

Is it new?....if so suggest direct your enquiry straight back to the vendor.

These thermostats are not adjustable, they are simply replaced if they fail although failure is relatively unusual.

There may not be anything amiss in the thermostat department. Are you operating it with the steam button depressed so that the machine operates way over coffee temp in the steam cycle?

Are you purging the group to check temp of brew water before applying the group handle and brewing, and are yoiu using a dark blend of coffee?

Not trying to be facetious but it could be technique related or caused by any number of variables and not necessarily the thermostat.

Regardz,
    FC.

Thank you, FC. I have been at this for a few 24 hours, however your comments are right on point and most welcome. The steam button is in the off position, and I use the same coffee and grind I use in my Rancilio S24 at my office. The carezza pressure is good. I will try purging the group extra (more than normal) to see if this helps. I just had a failure of the thermostat in my S24, so I know they do fail, although in that machine the failure opened the thermostat and the boiler would not heat at all. Since I bought it on ebay, I can not return it. I wonder what the temp of the water should be, 160? I could check that to be sure. Thanks again for your comments and your welcome to this wonderful forum.
    Rick

Rick,
    If you can put a thermocouple under the group, (I find thru a disposable coffee cup is good to sample) and check temps of the shot pour? Ill try and compare it to my Carezza.

Means Ill have to do some soulder work on my thermometer, but thats long overdue anyhow!
    Cheers,
    Andy

Thanks, Andy and FC. I tried purging the group really well prior to making a shot, and that helped very much. I have been using the same grind as my Rancilio S24, which may or may not be the best for this machine. I may try some different grinds, but the long purge prior to making the shot did wonders. I will get a thermometer (I have one on order, may be a week to get) and report the temp back.

On another machine, my S24, does anyone know how to change the thermostat? Do the threads need a heat compound, is there a gasket? Should I post this somewhere else?

Thanks, again, very very much.

Rick

Gday Rick,
    just a quick one for you, how long roughly is each shot taking?
    I only ask as you said that youre using the same grind that youre using on an S24, which may or may not be suitable for your Carezza. If the grind is too fine, and the shot is taking a very long time to extract, that may account for the burnt taste, rather than an overheated water problem.
    As FC said, there are a lot of variables to contend with, with water temp being just one.
    Hope this helps.

Another excellent suggestion. I will time it and see. The S24 user manual says it should take 25 to 30 seconds, and that is what it does take for an excellent shot on that machine. Do you have an opinion on the Carezzas time? Should it be the same?
    Thanks so very much,
    Rick

Rick,
    You can definatly get a very good shot from the Carezza in 25 seconds. Dialing in the grind for this is clearly the key. I dont get too hung up on the time, but if its taking so long that the boiler has time to come off and on, then its probably too long. If its "gushing" its easier to tell for sure.

I usually try for 30ml in 25-30 seconds.

This is harder than it sounds, as everyone has said there are a lot of variables.... grind, dose, tamp.

For me, I find my Carezza works well when I do the following. I try to dose and tamp the same each time, and adjust the grind if I need to... this is hard because I have a doserless grinder. During dosing I run the Carezza into the cup till the green light goes out (usually round 8-10 seconds). I then tamp, wipe the PF, drain the cup of the hot water and quick wipe, then re-fit the PF and put the cup under ready to run the shot. Usually the green light has just come back on - and that is the point I run the shot.

I find this method good because it runs a decent blank shot of water thru the machine. Also, you are always running the shot when the thermostat registers the machine at the right temprature. The boiler should be off, and the boiler should be full. Therefore you know you should get roughly the same temps in the shot each time you run it.

Hope some more info helps.
    Cheers,
    Andy

hey andy
    sounds like what i do.
    am wondering thou if waiting for 10-15 secs after the green light comes on will lead to slightly cooler water as opposed to straight away when the green light comes on?

aaron

I was finding I was getting about 95 when the light came on, which is at the high end of the temp range. During the shot, I believe it will dip slightly anyhow, so in the cup this runs pretty much to 93 which is good temps.

ok so then i can pour my shot straight away when the light comes on then eh?

aaron

Hi, Gentlemen. Thanks for all the great info. I got a thermometer and find that the temp is 187 f out of the machine into a styrofoam cup. This is the same temp as my S24, so that all appears to be ok. Time was 20 seconds. I see the key is, as Andy says above, to get the variables in order. You all have been of immense help, and I see that it was me, not the machine, keeping me from a good shot out of the Carezza. Thanks to you all.
    Rick

Glad to help Rick - Ive just modded my grinder this weekend, and I took a pic of one of the shots I ran after the mod... Ive gotta say - its almost as good a shot as Ive ever run! Its always good to be trying to better the coffee!
    Cheers,
    Andy