Thread: ikon vs EM5600

ikon vs EM5600

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, first post to the group!

I had been looking at getting a sunbeam EM6910, until I started reading evrything here....

It was pretty much at the top of my budget and then from reading here realised that I was going to need to to spend money on a good grinder. So now I am looking at either the EM5600 or the Breville ikon and an EM0480 grinder.

So just after some advice on which of the two machines would be the better bet?

Re: ikon vs EM5600

Welcome muddymoo!

My advice would be, dont do it! If you can possibly afford it, save up for the 6910 - it cannot be compared with the cheaper Sunbeams in any way, shape or form. Better to get the grinder and a plunger for now, and start saving for the 6910!

With your tight budget, you might also want to consider the EM0450 grinder - same internals as the 0480 but housed in plastic and $30 or so cheaper.

If your budget is fixed, Id go for the Breville based on reputation.

Welcome Muds,

Ditto m@; if you can hold off youll get better results from the 6910 than either of them, particularly around this time when bargains are to be had. Perhaps post out your Christmas cards to the rellies this year with a 6910 in a stocking on the front so they know what youre after! "contributions gratefully accepted" :)

Failing that, since we all have a budget and a time frame, if youre stuck between those machines Id take the Ikon. It has a boiler rather than a cheaply made thermoblock which should lead to better temperature stability. With either machine you can get terrible or passable results depending on technique, beans, grind etc, but the Breville will probably help you a little bit more than the Sunbeam.

Good luck!
    Greg

Welcome muddy.

What they said.

I picked up a 0450 at Hardly Normal for $150, which was about $50 less than the 0480.

I got it to use with a Sunbeam 6900 that I found at work.

Together they made good coffee.

So if you can stretch to the 0450 + the 6900, Id recommend it.
    They are pretty good for those dollars.

P.S. Where are you?

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I am best going for the the 6900 / 6910. May well be that I but that this week and use preground coffee for a few weeks and then buy the grinder next pay :-)

I am in Palmerston North, NZ by the way.

Yes 6910, NO 6900. 6910 replaced the 6900 for a good reason - there were heaps of problems with the 6900s. Unless you know enough about them to identify a late model, stick with a new 6910 and you should be OK.

Get yourself a grinder first and then youll be able to have fresh coffee in a plunger until youve got the espresso machine. Not as fancy looking, but will give better results than stale pre-ground. Try doing a comparo of the taste of the preground over the next few weeks and then compare it to some freshly roasted beans (from a reputable roaster or outlet, i.e. NOT a supermarket) in your grinder and taste the difference!

Greg

Yes muddy, if you are definetly getting both, get the grinder first.
    That way you can start enjoying freshly ground, freshly roasted beans straight away.

Theres a guy at work that drinks preground made in a plunger.
    I ground some fresh beans at home and took them to work for him and he loved the coffee.

A few weeks later I bought the 0450 to take to work and asked him to try my coffee again, this time ground on the spot instead of from home an hours drive away.

Even that 1 hour difference in the grind had him in heaven compared to the one before.

Grinder first / 6910 second.

Quote Originally Posted by muddymoo link=1196660174/0#4 date=1196672944
    Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I am best going for the the 6900 / 6910. May well be that I but that this week and use preground coffee for a few weeks and then buy the grinder next pay :-)

I am in Palmerston North, NZ by the way.

Get an EM 0450 from Briscoes like I mentioned in the grinder forum. Bargain. (Assuming theres a Briscoes in Parmy. <edit - yes there is>)

A 69x0 with preground will be less than ideal. Grinder first.

Well I took the plunge today and ended up buying the whole lot! Got a very good deal though as got the 0480 for $160 nz and the 6910 had a barista pack, bang bang and two packs of coffee beans thrown in. So slightly broke the budget but not by much.

Took a couple of attemps to get any coffee though and seems I was grinding too fine or tamping too hard as was getting water coping out around the group head but no coffee! That was with the grinder set to about 14, backed it off a fair bit more and got a pretty good cup off coffee, looked pretty good for a first attempt but I know I have a way to go yet.

Thanks guys!

Congrats.
    Youll get the hang of it soon.

Nice one mate! Youll find plenty of helpful advice around these parts :)

I had similar quirks with the first few shots. If it happens in future make sure the group head seal is perfectly clean, I find that unless I wipe around the sides of the seal after each shot some coffee grinds end up stuck there and prevent the group from sealing. Youll notice the seal softening/wearing in somewhat over the next week or so; itll seal better and the portafilter will twist in further past the perpendicular.

If you havent done so already, its a good idea to get rid of the plastic liner in the portafilter: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167134124
    Its easiest if you twist off the spout and pop the insert out from beneath...

Have fun!