Thread: Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto HELP

Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto HELP

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have recently become addicted *cough* i mean i have discovered the wonders of coffee. Problem being now that i have just purchased a Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto and have not been able to make a good coffee yet. :( To explain my problem;

I am using Dome esspresso beans and filtered water.

The coffee comes out bitter - This is even after only running a small ammount of water through it.
    The water comes out with a plastic taste even after the water has been filtered.

Any ideas?? Is it me or the coffee machine and what should i do to fix this?

Thanks,

Arts

Re: Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto HELP

Welcome arts.

I hadnt heard of Dome before so Googled it.

Are you in Brisbane or WA?
    Can you tell when they were roasted?
    How long is the use by date?

How does the filtered water taste before you run it through the Sunbeam?

Have you made many coffees on your machine yet?, new machines will have a "boiler" taste till youve run a few lots of water through them. If your in brisbane, walk a few doors past dome to dancing bean and come see me, ill give you a quick how to and see where your going wrong.
    Phil.

trumboli

Well, well, well, I finally, although not happy about, someone besides myself getting a plastic/chemichal taste in my coffee from a Ristretto. I bought mine from Dick Smiths Power House in Bankstown Sydney. This info is in case there was a bad batch of machines somebody may be tracking.

This was happening for about 2 weeks after purchase. I did all the required fills and flushes. I ONLY use distilled water that I make myself.

Anyway, one day my wife was sniffing around the machine to see where this smell was coming from. It was coming from the plastic water tank. Now I had flushed the machine and refilled many times over the two weeks so any packing smell (as Sunbeam Customer Service told me) should have been gone.

I promptly emptied the machine. Filled the reservoir 75% with pure distilled water. 30 minutes later there was the smell, as strong as ever. I gathered all the original packing I could find and took the machine plus the water in the tank to the Dick Smiths service desk. Asked for a supervisor who I promptly asked to take a whiff of the water in the tank. He literally screwed his face up. after telling him it was pure distilled water, which by this time, was only 1 hour in the tank, he offered me a refund without prompting. (I even forgot to give him the s/s jug back!)

I contacted Sunbeam as I was really getting concerned, particularly after recent news reports of stuff coming out of China, such as kids clothing with formaldahide etc and plastics containing all sorts of carcinogenic chemicals, Sunbeam ASSURED me that their stuff is manufactured to strict guidelines. I told them many other companies have issued similar statements in regards to their shoddy products from China.

I picked up a new Gaggia Classic for a few more bucks at $499 retail (good price) and am extremely happy with it.

I would, knowing what I know now, prefer next time to buy from one of the site sponsors (maybe cost a little extra) that sell, repair, service and do the odd mod and most importantly know the equipment they sell.

Take the Ristretto back, show them a copy of this reply, because you will not get rid of that smell OR the taste.

NB:
    The "Highlight" tool is great but please dont use it for the entire post.... wwwaaayyy too hard to read :o,
    Mal.