Thread: Help with different brands

Help with different brands

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    I have no idea about coffee as I am a tea drinker, but I would like to buy a coffee machine so I can become a coffee lover. I drink instant coffee at home and I dont mind it but when I go out I love a good cappuccino. I realise the coffee is good in cafes because they have the correct equipment which is why I want a machine.
    I am not fussy with the taste of coffee just yet so I dont want to spend too much (up to 500). I am looking at a couple of models which are; DeLonghi EC750I & EC330S or one of the sunbeam models. I like the idea of using pods (sounds easy) but would appreciate any advice on these ideas and models or any other basic models that would get me started.
    Thanks
    Wannabe coffee lover.

Re: Help with different brands

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Most cafes dont use pods. Guess why? So forget those.

You will also need to budget for a good grinder, if not, any money spent on a coffee machine will be wasted.

So is $500 the maximum?

DONT USE

hi kylen
    there is coffee drinkers and then there are COFFEE drinkers
    i prefer to have control over my coffee making, grind tamp roast etc, but this is not for everyone.

the main problems with pods apart from freshness, is availability.
    at present there is approx 20 different types of pods on the market, most of these will only fit a particular machine, giving you no choice but to buy from a certain supplier. if that supplier leaves the scene, you are stuck with a machine that you cant use because other types of pods dont fit.
    the best of these i have found are the nespresso machines. these use a pod that will only fit there machine and the coffee is only available through nestle.
    they have a good selection of pure and flavoured coffees
    price per pod approx 70c ea

Or you can buy standard size pods to fit most handle type machines(rancilio, gaggia, saeco, expobar, etc) by using a pod adaptor or pod filter inserted into the standard handle.

in this way if you decide to experiment with other types of coffee, buy a grinder and pull exceptional shots you can.

all methods of making coffee have their good and bad points. it about what works best for you

Apart from the freshness of pods from what I have seen they are not a cheap way of producing coffee--bad coffee at a high price, not good Jan!!
    A good grinder is the key to good espresso, with the right method even a low-end prosumer machine will produce good coffee with freshly roasted and ground beans.

Hi all and thanks for the welcome
    Very good advice on the whole pod idea and I no longer want a machine that takes pods, so thanks for that.
    I get the impression from this site that a good grinder can make a cheap machine look alright, so I think that is what I am going to do to get me started. Afterall I wouldnt pay big money on a top of the range sports car if I didnt know how to drive.
    I have been to a few electrical shops to look at what they have got and for a bit of advice, but most of the salas assistants have never even used a coffe machine which is why I am on the net. I have learnt plenty from this site.
    I think I might buy a Breville or a Sunbeam (because thats about all they sell in a small town), start learning the rights and wrongs of coffee making and then look at buying a decent grinder. When I get confident and obtain a taste for really good coffee I will look at upgrading somewhere down the track.
    Which models from Breville or Sunbeam are recomended or are there other brands that I can buy online. I want to be able to make good cappuccinos with ease. (I dont ask for much do I?)
    Thanks for the help.

At 70c per pod as fix said, they would indeed be expensive.

I roast my own and double shots probably cost me less than 25c.
    So thats 12c per single shot.
    And they are fresh.

Keep an eye on the coffee hardware for sale section a good second hand machine could appear on there.
    If buying a cheaper machine some have aluminium boilers and some stailess steel, the latter should last a lot longer especially if you use filtered water in them.
    I started out with a Saeco Via Venezia and that was a good little machine, I teamed it with a Sunbeam EM450 grinder and it produced good coffee. Since then I have gone to a Silvia/Rocky combo and now achieve great espresso (most of the time!!).