Thread: depressurizing a via venezia

depressurizing a via venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After reading a few of the older posts, I pulled the filter apart and removed the false floor, the spring and the plastic mechanism. The basket now pours without any extra pressure from the portafilter. I read that you can buy non-pressurized filters, but Im wondering if my modifications will work or if this filter isnt designed to work without the extra pressure (ie. shape and design of basket etc.). Hope that question makes sense.

Cheers,

Kit

Re: depressurizing a via venezia

Yes, those modifications will work fine. The portafilter shouldnt supply any extra pressure. And I believe the filter basket is identical between both the pressurised and non-pressurised portafilters.

regards,
    Bill

Thanks Bill,

It seems to be working (though Ive had little experience with nonpressurized portafilters). Im now appreciating the need for a very good grinder and tamper.

Cheers,

Kit

Yes, itll be more sensitive to grind setting now, and youll need to grind a fair bit finer than with the pressurised portafilter.

Bill

... and for your trouble youll be able to get much much better results from your new setup. Thats why pressurised baskets are popular with cheaper machines - people spending $200-$300 on a machine generally cant be bothered spending the time to make coffee properly or tolerate the thought of spending that or more all over again on a grinder, so the manufacturers give them something that looks like the real thing but tastes nothing like it, but without the effort of doing it properly.

At least some manufacturers (e.g. Kenwood historically) give you unpressurised baskets and portafilter and supply the pressure-generating device that you insert separately, so you still have the choice to go unpressurised if you want to do it properly.

Greg

speaking of baskets...Im planning to send mine to you (Greg) to get a custom tamper. Have spoken with Robin via email.

Kit, interesting work with the Via Venezia. *Great to see you go naturale. *For grinders, I have a rancillio rocky doserless and I love it. *About 300 here. *For a tamper, I got the .75 kg stainless tamper from Sweet Marias and its the bomb (excellent bludgeoning item as well). The other comment from me is that roast depth and roast age seem to require adjustment of the grind once you get into this more. *Darker roasts have more oil and require a "looser" grind. *As coffees age (and emit oils) over the first week, I usually have to loosen the grind as time passes...usually there is a point where it becomes just right. *Im just learning this whole gig myself so others may have ideas. *PA ;)

thanks for all the help. Im going to have to order the tamper this week. Its become too hard to pour consistent shots with an ill-fitting plastic job. my modified starbucks "barista" grinder while now producing finer grinds is probably not helping me much either. my quality just took a temporary dive but looking forward to reaching new heights shortly.