Thread: Breville ikon

Breville ikon

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi, im new to this forum but have been reading topics on here for a while now to help me decide what machine to start out on.
    i havent been drinking instant coffee, but found myself down at the cafe below my work 3 times a day, so i thought id give it a try.

all summer ive been umming and ahhhing about purchasing one, and finally bit the bullet today.
    just got home from purchasing a breville ikon (bes400??), but with a catch!

i did a bit of research into prices and scored one from the breville factory seconds place in redfern,
    it only cost me $129 when they are retailing instore for $350-400.

we will see if i get what i pay for, or if i got a great deal.

now... how to make coffee??

Re: Breville ikon

Nicely done, jubb jubb - great price for what is, by reputation, a great value and very capable machine for the price!

Do you have a grinder?

no grinder m@, there were a few breville grinders at the seconds place too,
    but ill start out on ground coffee before i move anywhere.

i still have to learn how to use it, and make a coffee!..
    ive never done it before.

i just bought some supermarket lavazza stuff to try out on,
    no point waisting the good stuff if i cant make a coffee to start off with!

ill let you know how it goes,
    but anyone else wanting to start it up, its a good place to get a budget machine!
    the next model up was $249.. the breville bes820 model

Google is your best friend, so is Youtube to watch videos on how to make coffee.
    As for preground, trust me I have spent (and wasted) loads of money on preground before I got my grinder, best supermarket ones I used were :

Grinders
    Monte
    Lavazza Il Perfetto Espresso or Caffe Espresso

It is so much cheaper in the long run to buy beans. I dont spend half as much on coffee as I used to and I am still drinking as much (if not more) so keep that in mind. I just have a Breville BarAroma and it does the job (on finest setting - could do better but its okay for now for me)

thanks LikeMyCoffee.

i actually bought that lavazza perfetto espresso. well see how it goes.
    i live in double bay, so i know theres a few coffee suppliers around here.

ill look into the whole grinder thing. thanks for the info.

Hi jubb jubb,

Although it might be cheaper getting supermarket coffee (even if just for prac), youve gotta be aware that its all stale. Theres nothing like grinding your own beans up as you go. If you want pre-ground coffee to start on (so that you get a better assessment of your techniques), head up the road to our site sponsor Di Bartoli at Bondi Junction (I wish I lived as close). Another place where you may want to try out, that I drop into every now and then, is a cafe called Bar Indigo in Double Bay that roast their own beans, and Im sure would grind some up for you. I also walked past another roaster (cant remember the name) in the little arcade across the road from Bang & Olufsen. All these places will give you better results for getting the best out of your technique with the equipment you have, than getting supermarket coffee. Definitely look to getting a decent grinder though. (Check out the Equipment Information pages or just go up the road to Di Bartoli and talk to Renzo or Ofra and havea play with a few they have setup there.

Good luck with the coffee journey!

YeeZa

thanks yeeza, i was just about to make the journey to the guy in the arcade near bang and olufsen.
    thanks for all the help guys!

well i just made my first coffee with it (i have never made a coffee other than instant before, so frothing was a bit funny.
    am i meant to place the steamer in the milk? or on the surface?..

im getting quite a kick from this coffee!

hi JubbJubb,
    i hope you got the steamer worked out, as you never got any more responses to that question.
    as its been a few weeks im sure youve made some good progress.
    im also getting an Ikon and am interested in your progress.
    please keep us updated.

Hi everyone,

New member here, and I have just purchased the BES400. As I am totally new to espresso brewing, I am using supermarket preground stuff to practice. I think it is really a fine looking machine, but the PF just looks cheap to me. Is there any better quality replacement PF out there? Btw, I think I got better froth without the froth enchancer.

This is addictive.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Lezzare.
    You can only get a litle benefit of practising with supermarket coffee because it doesnt behave the same way as freshly roasted beans do.
    I cant answer your question about the PF.
    What do you mean by cheap?

Removing the froth enhancer is a given.

Perhaps the PF from the Es800 series would suit. It is a heavier more robust PF. Call Breville and see if they can sell it seperately??

Hi everyone,

Its been a week since I owned the Ikon. The problem I have is that the pour comes out way too quick. Is because of the tamp or the amount of coffee used? I am using the breville bar italia 1-2 cups normal basket. Also I have just bought freshly grounded coffee from Epic Espresso and I store them in the VacuVin, so it cant be that bad right. *

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzare link=1202265479/0#12 date=1205288721
    Hi everyone,

Its been a week since I owned the Ikon. The problem I have is that the pour comes out way too quick. Is because of the tamp or the amount of coffee used? I am using the breville bar italia 1-2 cups normal basket. Also I have just bought freshly grounded coffee from Epic Espresso and I store them in the VacuVin, so it cant be that bad right. *
    Well....

Youre really fighting a losing battle here.
    Its most likely that the grind is too coarse.
    However, ground coffee is past its best after 3 minutes.
    And, try as they might, places can only give you an approximate grind. If they make it too fine, it will just choke your machine, so many places err on the side of too coarse.

Without your own grinder and certainty of the age of your beans, there are just too many variables out of your control.

If a grinder is a no-go, then perhaps get the next grind done finer. Tell them the sequence of events and if possible, take a sample of the last grind in with you.

Thanks for the reply fatboy.

A grinder is on the way, I have just bought a used Iberital Challenge off a member here. *:) So there is no way to fix things now without the grinder? Even if I tamp it read hard? Btw, Im still using the tamper given by breville. A nice stainless steel tamper is on the way to me as well.

Yeah, a harder tamp might help, but it is not ideal, and can only do so much if the grind is too coarse.

You also dont want to get into bad habits.

Generally, you are after about 15kgs of pressure for a tamp.
    When you get your grinder, try to stick with the same tamp pressure and same dose. That way, the grind becomes your main variable.

Hi everyone,

I received my Iberital Challenge, spent about 2 hours setting it up, choked my machine 3 times. But the end result was sweet. It was once of those instances where you smile to youself. I ordered my fresh beans online from Five Senses and *it took less than a day to reach me.

BTW, I still do not understand the ageing beans theory, so as the beans age daily, do I tune to grind it Coarser or Finer?

Thanks to everyone who have given me advice and have a splendid Easter weekend.

Hello coffee snobs,

After reading some comments on this great site I went and purchased the Breville Ikon and grinder. As recommended I also got fresh beans from my local favourite espresso place and got to work. It made a prefect cappuccino right away! It has been a week so far and every day my wife and I are making flawless cappuccinos, espresso shots and Americanoís . We always get good amounts of crema in the shots and no problems at all getting great tiny froth bubbles for a very creamy cappuccino. No clogging problems so far as we do clean the unit well after every use. I am sure the 30 seconds fresh coffee grinds make all the difference and I only pull an 8-10 second shot from start of drip.

To help ensure a hot cappuccino I also fill the cup with a hot water pull first to keep it hot and then do the foam straight away, lastly I pull the espresso shot. This process order helps give a very hot cappuccino.

I recommend the Breville Ikon machine to anyone looking for a better coffee experience for only $389.00 CDN ( in Vancouver Canada including grinder). Only 5 more months and itís paid for itself.

Cheers and thanks for the great advice!
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzare link=1202265479/15#16 date=1206150392
    Hi everyone,
    BTW, I still do not understand the ageing beans theory, so as the beans age daily, do I tune to grind it Coarser or Finer?
    Interesting theory and I tend to disagree a little... I havent needed to do this in 1 week of using the same bean blend - but Id say after 2 weeks, perhaps a slightly finer grind maybe required. But on a everyday aging basis, based on my experiences havent been necessary - I do however only fill my hopper the amount of beans Im intending to grind up at the time and keep the rest well stored.

I dont start using most of my beans until at least 7 days post roast.
    I take about a week to go through 250g and by then I have to grind a little finer for the last day or two.

Hello there! Ive bought Breville Ikon recently too. Now I wonder, how to make more hot coffee with it. Could you guys share your experience with it?

The problem is, its making "ok" temperature coffee. Its isnt cold, but in my opinion it isnt hot enough. Im sure that my previous coffee maker from Saeco make more hot coffee.

I just bought one of these, just wondering is the pump noise suppose to be really loud when ever you press the coffee or steam button?

Are you letting it warm up for 20-30 minutes before making coffee, spacer?

22a

Ive been using this machine for a while now and I have a few observations I thought should probably be in the thread.

First, if you try and pull a shot as soon as the machine is turned on (once the power light stops flashing) then it often comes out a bit cold. To avoid this you can either turn it on earlier (as m@ mentioned) or push the steam button until the steam wand is warmed up as well, then the shot usually pours nice and hot - and pre-warming the cup helps too.

Secondly, if you cant find non-pressurised baskets to replace the standard pressurised ones you can simply dremel the bottom out of the ones you have. Its hard work to get the plastic crap out from the inside but works a treat (and all at the low cost of a couple of cutting blades for the dremel - or, if youre cheap like me you can just fit them into a power drill).

Third, the BCG450 grinder that often comes packaged with it (see here) is a pretty average grinder. However, if you follow the instructions for a quick mod found in this thread, it improves significantly - i.e. to the point that it actually produces a fantastic grind.

Fourthly, ditch the tamper that comes with it and find something better. Doesnt need to be the flashest tamper on the market but you just need to get rid of that horrible plastic monstrosity.

Fifthly, yes, you will be showered with wet coffee if you whip the portafilter out straight after pulling a shot. There is a way around this, its a technique known as not doing things at a billion miles an hour. Seriously, if you ease the PF out slowly it will barely even spill on the drip tray.

Unfortunately I dont drink coffee with milk in it so I cant give anyone steaming advice. I do know the machine is capable of making great coffee. Especially once you start home roasting and getting your beans just the way you like them (Ive got some Ethiopian Sidamo I roasted early last week that is smelling fantastic that is going to make its debut tonight).

Anyway, those are just some of my experiences with the Ikon. Hopefully they help someone, if not, not too worried. Its a good machine for the price its listed for.

Quote Originally Posted by 22a link=1202265479/15#23 date=1210572775
    Secondly, if you cant find non-pressurised baskets to replace the standard pressurised ones you can simply dremel the bottom out of the ones you have. Its hard work to get the plastic crap out from the inside but works a treat (and all at the low cost of a couple of cutting blades for the dremel - or, if youre cheap like me you can just fit them into a power drill).
    I have removed the base of the filters (I didnt find any plastic in them) are you perhaps talking about the group handle? you naked boyz....

I will post some pics of my "modded" baskets after i recharge my camera batteries!.

22a

I refuse to post pictures of my modded baskets they look so horrible. They work a treat though. Im fairly certain Im talking about baskets (unless I have some fundamental terminology mixup here). They were composed like so:

Yeah, stuff was really difficult to get out. I dont even know what it did either

Quote Originally Posted by 22a link=1202265479/15#25 date=1210595727
    Yeah, stuff was really difficult to get out. I dont even know what it did either
    What colour was that plastic stuff?

Mal.

22a

It was a dark grey plastic, quite dense. I cant be sure of exactly what it looked like because it got damaged pretty badly when I was cutting through the metal but from the looks of it it was just a flat disc that sat in between the two metal surfaces, I dont think it had any holes in it so any coffee that came in would have to go right around this disc to get out the hole in the bottom. Like I said, Ive got no idea what it does. Have I discovered something new?

An Italian designed crema enhancer perhaps...

22a

Possibly. Those sneaky Italians are always trying to enhance things.

Also, fun fact for the day - the swiss ball was invented in Italy.

Hi folks, another newbie here. After using various coffee perks & plungers for years, took the plunge this week and got the Ikon after reading info on the site for a few weeks.
    I am very happy with results so far, lovely coffee, getting better each brew !!
    Im using an old blade grinder, so off looking for something better this weekend.
    Curious about the un-pressurised basket, why is this better ?
    Learnt a stack so far, thanks for all the info.
    Im in Nth Perth, any tips on good deals about ??
    Regards, Sidfish :)

hi sidfish,

Welcome to the CS!
    The deal with pressurised baskets is that it works more like a perculator. In that the water going through the coffee puck has to be squeezed out that little pinhole at the bottom of the basket(being pressurised), and doesnt allow for the natural flow through the puck into the cup. Those baskets are basically catering for the masses as far as people going to the supermarket, buying stale coffee that offers nada-crema and basically bubbles it through the pinhole and looks like real crema, when in fact its not. With those baskets it seems to work better if you dont really tamp with any great pressure. If you can get your hands on some non-pressurised baskets(unless theyre supplied), paired up with a better grinder and fresh beans, youll definitely be up for something that far exceeds the quality youre getting now.
    Ckeck out the Grinder section in the infor/reviews to see the minimum you should/could spend. Id opt for something >$275 if I where you.
    Hope that helps,
    YeeZa