Thread: Coffee in a Caravan

Coffee in a Caravan

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Snobs

Could anyone suggest a machine that is cheap and cheerful (<$200) that will spare us roadhouse horrors (instant & frothed milk = cappuccino) whilst we are on the road for a year in our caravan.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I cant face doing the rounds of the stores with my two anklebiters in tow and my bad case of mummy-brain.

Cheers! *

Re: Coffee in a Caravan

Two immediately spring to mind. Presso and Aeropress. Both are powerless, and both are fairly inexpensive. However, to appreciate both optimally, youd need a "decent" grinder paired with them.

If you want something that froths milk, you might want to look into one of those "whisk-like" thingies. Just heat your milk in the microwave, and froth away.

Hi Mizuko,
    Welcome to CS!...

mmm, a fellow traveller, ay? i know what you mean, finding drinkable coffee on the road is near impossible ;D

well, in our jalopy it went from plunger and stove-top to a GranGaggia (the smallest Gaggia available) before we decided to go for broke and put about 25 kg of "very noice" equipment and the same in green beans on board.

if you buy pre-ground roasted coffee for a plunger (a course grind) or stove-top (an espresso grind) you will still not get the nicest brew, but definitely better than the road-house stuff.

if you want to use beans, (better than pre-ground..) for both the plunger and stove-top a good hand grinder will do the trick, and maybe also for a small espresso machine if you are willing to crank the handle a LOT ;)

in truth, if you want to make quite a few espressos per day, with either a stove-top or Presso, you probably will need to look at a small footprint electric grinder, like a Rocky, particularly if you choose to roast your own coffee (and believe me, you will find it hard to find fresh beans in most supermarkets, let alone those outside the suburban fringe...)

but, the reward of having great coffee while sitting somewhere in the great outdoors is well worth the effort... and so addictive!! before yo kw it your pile of coffee paraphernalia grows and grows... ;D ;D

have fun, Mizuko!!

cheers,
    L

DONT USE

hi
    depending on your taste in coffee stovetops give a fuuller flavoured coffee, can make black coffee or there are ones that do both, black coffee and froth milk

plungers - also available in unbreakable plastic,(bounce better in cupboards)
    plunger and filter attachments that sit on your cup make easy coffee

brass turkish grinders are great hand grinders, compact, easy to use, and better consistency than cheap hand grinders

If space is at a premium a plunger and a decent grinder would probably be the way to go, plan ahead and get some roasted beans oz-posted to your next destination!!
    Have a great trip and keep CS posted on your progress and coffee experiences along the track..........................

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. *When we travelled in our Kombi 12 years ago we had a stovetop which was great until it welded shut after being washed in saltwater too often.

Ive seen a stovetop that froths milk on e-bay and maybe thats the way to go. *Has anyone had any experience with a Bellman?

Lizzi, sounds like you have an amazing set up. *Hope we pass you on the road!

Mizuko

Hey Mizuko...

well, passing us on the road... we are heading for Tasmania next Sunday ( eagerly/excitedly/impatiently counting down the days here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...824727/248#248 )with the intention to stick around there for some time to come, so unless you plan to tour the Apple Isle yourself, chances are you wont see us :(

there are some people who have one of the frothing stove-tops in their motorhome, and have reported good things about them on a motorhome forum; i think they go for about $80, and are made out of stainless steel... better in all respects than aluminium.
    but, never underestimate a good cup of plunger coffee....made double strength from fresh beans it is the perfect drink early in the morning :)

cheers,
    L

Hi, i am also looking for a travelling espresso machine. Because we have a generator we can use power. yay!
    what is the general opinion on the Bugatti Diva espresso maker.
    or does anyone else have a suggestion taking into account it needs to be small and froth milk as well.

thanks. this is my first contact with you coffee people. exciting. :)

Quote Originally Posted by phudson link=1202514238/0#7 date=1203946179
    you coffee people
    It sounds like you are a "coffee people" too. :P

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

I only know Bugatti for fast cars not espresso coffee so maybe someone else can help with your question.

Hi Phudson and welcome!

If appearance and general blurb on the "Diva" is anything to go by, Id say Bugatti could also have called this machine "Prima Donna". ;)

From the little Ive read, the working and innards remind me of the Gaggia Classic. So for about the same cost as the Diva you could buy yourself a nice Classic with a decent grinder. Many of the site sponsors would be able to help with your choice.

All the best with your choice!

Hi Phudson

We have just made our first coffee in our Bellman Stovetop ($130 online) and are very impressed. *Even though we will also carry a generator on our trip we didnt want to have to rely on power. *The Bellman is smaller than I had anticipated so will be easy to store (still makes up to 9 cups though).

We have a really old Gaggia grinder and ground some Biobean Femenino beans. *Were very pleased with ourselves but hope well get quicker with practice as it took nearly half an hour to make our first coffee!

I think Ive just turned into a Coffee Snob!

Mizuko

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic feedback to my query about coffee in a caravan.
    what a lovely feel this group called coffee snobs has.

Mizuko - thankyou for your suggestion to try the Bellman. i will do some research.

cheers and talk again.
    :)