Thread: Upgrade Advice

Upgrade Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. Brand new here but looks like a good site. I have a birthday coming up and I get to choose a new machine.

Today I have an old Moulinex Doumo Caffe. 10 years old, made in Switzerland, as basic as they come (not even switchable for steam output), but to a non-coffee-snob (and my friends) it makes pretty good coffee. I have recently purchase a Krups GVX2 grinder for $50 that also seems to work pretty well.

It sounds like the Sunbeam Ristretto will produce the same results as the one I have, so no point going cheap. The Breville 800ES ($389) is what I was going to buy until I found this site. I gather it looks good but produces the same outcomes as the $200 Brevilles, and most people suggest spending a little more and getting the Sunbeam 6910 ($600) instead.

And then I find I can get either a Gaggia Classic or Gaggia Baby Dose for under $500, which seems like the way to go. The only problem there seems to be NO information on the site about the Baby Dose, so I keen to know if there are any opinions.

BTW, I always drink latte/flat white, so the comments about thermoblocks and cold/wet milk are pushing me away from the 800ES also - not sure how valid that is?

Re: Upgrade Advice

Hmmm...how about I put it another way.

For the same money, would most people recommend a Gaggia Baby Dose or a Gaggia Classic?

kevviek,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

For me it would be a simple choice....

The classic is a "classic" semi automatic.... built like a tank and with a bit of TLC will last for ages...... also happens to make great coffee...

The baby D is an automatic with volumetric dosing..... lots of electronics.... extra bits to fail and cause problems..... and if you want great coffee you wouldnt be using the volumetrics in any case...... so it wont last as long as the classic for no real gain in any useful way......

It would be Classic for me!

Yes, thought as much. My wife says the Baby Dose looks better, but I think I can win her over. Thanks

I have had a Clasic for quite a few years now.

I get fabulous coffee from it.

One thing I must mention is your grinder.

To get good results from your machine you will need a decent burr grinder. I would recommend a Gaggia MDF or a Iberital Challenge. Both priced at about $300.

Not sure what city you are in, but you could get a package deal of the two of these from one of the site sponsors.

I think I get the picture re the grinder...am thinking of a second hand Gaggia MDF. Do they last long/wear out or is there anything to be wary of?

Based in Melbourne.

Im sure lucinda will rave about the MDF but before then let me get in my worth.

I foumd a 2nd hand MDF a while back and replaced a Sunbeam 0450 for everyday use at work.
    ITs been great.
    Cleaner and quieter for a start.

If you read up on the MDF youll see they have an excellent reputation.
    Ive seen one review that said theyd had one for 20 years IIRC.

I have had one problem with mine.
    Unusual I think as the spare parts guy at the Gaggia importer hadnt heard of it and I couldnt find anything on the internet either.

What happened was that the cam inside the doser lost a tooth.
    It looked to me like the moulded plastic had some bubbles in it and that caused a weakness.
    Initially I glued it back together and it lasted many weeks that way.
    Eventually though it broke again (in a different spot, I think due to the inherent weakness in this particular cam).

When I rang the importer thye guy was going to send me one for free.
    Luckily they are only 10 minutes down the road so I grabbed it at lunchtime.
    It was lucky too that I did because the guy would have sent me the wrong part.
    He was thinking it was the part that went between the external handle and the cam.
    That part would suffer more stress because its constantly being wacked to dose the coffee.
    The cam on the other hand is not subject to those sorts of stresses hence his mistake.

Im not trying to scare you off at all.
    Remember that no one else sems to have ever had this problem.

Also, the Sunbeam 6910 has become very popular since I brought in my grinder.
    Subsequently the MDF is getting a solid workout every day and is holding up well.

The MDF is a bit ugly, but it is tough as old boots.

These things are built to last.

ok thanks. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I have only just graduated to buying beans.

With these grinders, is it ok to keep the beans in the grinder hopper (takes me about a week to use them all), or should they be stored fully sealed in a dark cupboard?

Hi kevviek and welcome from me.

Best kept in the cupboard/pantry - away from light, heat and air. Having said that, personally, I dont think it hurts to have a few in the grinder - they look pretty and I can get a quicker coffee fix. :)

Some people will also open a new bag of coffee for more than an hour before its ground - a bit like decanting wine.

All said and done, give a few different methods a trial and then decide what suits you best.

So in the end I bought a Gaggia Classic and Sunbeam EM0480, $650 all up. After 3 weeks I have done the OPV mod and replaced the steam wand with a Silvia, and then bought a real tamper. Fresh beans, ground just before brewing, and the coffee is nearly as good as what I got out of my old Moulinex *-) Practice, practice, practice I guess. Its certainly a lot faster, and starting to be more consistent. The aim is to get some latte art happening one day and Ill be content.