Thread: A learning curve with the Presso

A learning curve with the Presso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive been playing with my presso for 3 months now, and Im learning all the way. Ive noticed that my system of putting boiling water in the top, with the arms down, and leaving it like that for 3-4 minutes does not pre heat it well enough. After doing the above, the first shot, has very little crema, and does not taste good at all.

But, after the first shot, I leave the pf locked in, and let the excess water drip out. The heats the unit to the point, that the second shot is as good as it can get considering.

Ive also noticed, that (I think) you can apply too much pressure. On my EM6910, a grind of 3 on my MDF makes a pretty good shot, in the 20-25 second range. But, even on a 2, the pour is too fast on the presso.

This led me to try a lighter force. Now bear in mind, I was REALLY pushing hard before, but with this lighter pressure (Ill edit with KG exerted when I get the time) I find I get more crema, and the shot tastes noticeable better.

Im interested to know what other presso users have found, and how you guys prep and pull your shots.

Hope you found it food for thought at the least.

Des

Re: A learning curve with the Presso

Youre right about the lack of heating by just leaving water in there. I have a feeling its also a function of the thermal mass of the unit, most of the heat from the first lot of heating water is just sucked up with little effect on increasing temperature.

Ill agree about the too much pressure but not for those reasons. I blew another set of arms last week...I love my pressure and theyve updated the design of the arms to increase the strength of that weak section.

So do you think that the higher pressure the better, but its unsafe?

Ive learnt a lot about my Presso this year as it has been the mainstay. Pre-heat is essential, even pre-warming it in hot sink water helps to start.

I pre-infuse for 30 seconds and use boiling water - by the time it gets to the coffee it has cooled enough not to scorch it.

Grind is critical and I find that the grind for the presso had to be oh so slightly finer than what I was using in my Faema.

Steady pressure, and even holding the arms and allowing the pressure already there to do its work before continuing - basically maintaining the pressure at the same level all the way through the process.

Love it!

AHHHHH

I snapped mine on Fri!!! It hurt like a [add something that really really hurts here.] Sprayed my stomach with boiling water! Ill post photos when i get a chance. Ive just moved house, so dont have internet, or coffee now, yet.

You snapped the Presso?

Iconiq, I feel your pain. Fortunately, I didnt experience that same pain with my recent Pressplosion, Im not sure where the water exactly went but it wasnt over me, the piston did disappear onto a cupboard though...

Give Cameron a bell and he should be able to fix you up with a pair of the new and improved arms.

Its a little late but yes, higher pressure is better but unsafe...I want some arms made from Titanium or similar extra high strength material 8-)

Yeah, not really fun! Im not sure if mine broke in the normal place, im at work, so cant put the acual photos i took, but here is a picture with some arrows...

[edit: see photo further down]

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Iconiq link=1204678639/0#7 date=1205195497
    Yeah, not really fun! Im not sure if mine broke in the normal place, im at work, so cant put the acual photos i took, but here is a picture with some arrows...
    Hi Iconiq,

Im sure that Cameron will want to hear about this? Have you contacted him?

Chris

Um, who is Cameron? Ive let the people at PressoAustralia know, and Ive contacted the supplier where I bought the Presso from... How would I get hold of Cameron?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Iconiq link=1204678639/0#9 date=1205197367
    Um, who is Cameron? Ive let the people at PressoAustralia know, and Ive contacted the supplier where I bought the Presso from... How would I get hold of Cameron?
    Cameron is da Presso Aust. man...and CS site sponsor.

Ha ha, Oh. right :-[ Ill try let him know then! Thanx

Here is an actual photo of the break, is this where they normally go?

Yep, exactly the same place. As I mentioned, Presso have made some changes to increase the strength of this weak point, so hopefully breakages will become fewer and further between.

Jasen from the place of purchase(they still arent sponsors yet!) will have your arms by Friday.

The designer Patrick Hunt from the UK has been in contact with me, as Daveze says the new arms have been cast differently to improve strength.
    washers
    It is disturbing to see you PRESSO so sad.

Once you get your new appendages:
    -undo the allen bolt?screw at the top of the unit.
    -force the pin at the base of each arm with a nail punch or stainless nail from the "hex" end.
    -careful not to lose the black bushes either side of the arm on the pins.
    -attach the new arms and re assemble.

Ill be keen to send your busted arms to Patrick so he can see the weak point in the cast. Feedback like this is invaluable. I appreciate you passing it on.

If you find your extraction taking longer than a minute or the pressure required to complete the extraction could crush a human skull then the grind is probably too fine.

Wed love to see some pics of your extractions!

Hey all

Sorry its been so long, been having limited time on the net recently! I recieved the replacement parts and changed them over, really easy, now its back to good ol espresso!

Thanx for all involved, didnt take long at all!

Des

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169640939/0