Thread: Tamp for the ESP4/51 basket

Tamp for the ESP4/51 basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. I have an Ikon BES400 and am using the Bar Italia ESP4/51 (1-2 cup) basket. Im new to all of this and so far Im enjoying the shots that I have been producing. My biggest issue is with the crappy plastic tamp that Breville supplied, it doesnt even fit the originally supplied pressurised baskets snugly!! I always end up with a raised Ďrimí of grinds around the inner edge of the basket, which I assume canít be conducive to good coffee extraction...

Does anyone know a good tamp that fits the Bar Italia basket correctly?

I know Greg Pulman can make me a custom one, but I donít know the size of the basket and donít have the equipment to accurately measure it. Cost is also a factor... Iím not sure if I can justify to my better half that I spent almost as much on a tamp as I did on the espresso machine. ;) But then again How much does a generic tamp cost??

Cheers.

Re: Tamp for the ESP4/51 basket

Hi Davmat, probably the best move would be to take the basket to a sponsors outlet and see if they can match a tamper to your basket, that way you would assure a good fit.

Hi Davmatt,

Weve got a bit of historical data on Breville filter baskets already that we could probably use to make a tamper if you decided to go down that path, but given your priority is getting the fit just right, as it is for most of our customers!) the preference would be to send your baskets in if you decide to take a tamper from us. If you decide to go down the generic path youre obviously going to be limited to off the shelf sizes, and while its possible yours could happen to be just on a whole number, theres probably a greater chance theyre not so any benefit would only be partial over what youve already got.

You can normally pick up generic aluminium or stainless steel tampers for around the $30 mark - you may want to try Di Bartoli or Coffeeparts in Sydney as I think they both carry some of the entry level stuff (as well as higher quality gear too of course).

If you do decide to take a Pullman, a couple of things to remember are that 1) a properly fitting tamper will help get the best results out of your machine which may put off or cancel any urge to upgrade; and if you do decide to move up you can return your old base to us for a changeover to a base to suit whatever machine you get next.

Greg

Greenman and Greg, thanks for your feedback. Im based in Melbourne, so Ill go through the sponsors list to see if I can find someone local so that I can take my filter basket with me to see if they have a tamper that fits well. Greg like you said, it all about getting the fit spot on and Im assuming the basket is a 52-53mm and from the looks of it, most of the off the shelf tampers out there are 58mm so I guess Im going to struggle...

Greg, if I cant find one then I guess Ill be getting in touch. *:)

Cheers.

Hi Davmatt,

I bought a 52mm Incasa Tamper ($19) from "The Coffee Company". It isnt a perfect fit with about <0.1mm gap, but heaps better than the plastic ones that came with the machine. I am really tempted with the pullman tamper, but unsure when upgraditis will hit me, therefore im holding off for awhile.

Cheers.

Danson

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzare link=1207527741/0#4 date=1207622950
    It isnt a perfect fit with about <0.1mm gap, but heaps better than the plastic ones that came with the machine. I am really tempted with the pullman tamper, but unsure when upgraditis will hit me, therefore im holding off for awhile.

Cheers.

Danson
    Wow nice tolerances, thats human hair thickness! We work to about 1/50mm tolerance during manufacture but you need a certain amount of clearance to be able to get the tamper in without jamming - and with <0.1mm the tamper would jam 9/10 times you tried to put it in. Sure you dont mean <1mm? :-?

Greg

Error on my part. ;D