Thread: Sunbeam EM5800 dead... need advice!

Sunbeam EM5800 dead... need advice!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there, I have lurked for a long time and gained much info from these boards but tonight my coffee machine just died and I need help please!

I have a Sunbeam EM5800 with a Sunbeam grinder (EM0480 I think it is).
    I use fresh beans (Felici blend) from Di Bella Coffee and have been very pleased with the results to date. Machine is about 15 months old and has been used almost daily for about 1-2 coffees a day. Mostly I just get the shot and then pour milk in on top of it and microwave it for a minute, out of laziness and also the fact that Im not great at the whole milk texturing thing.

Anyway, this morning I decided to steam the milk. Made one coffee, steamed the milk, then pulled a second shot and tried to steam another lot of milk but it just took forever and the milk didnt seem to heat up at all so I gave up on it and went back to the microwave method. Cleaned the steam wand and poked the cleaning stick thing they provide into the steam wand to unblock any blockage that might have been there. Turned machine off and left it alone.

Then tonight during dinner, the machine which was off, but was still on at the mains power point, started itself up suddenly and made all sorts of strange noises. I went over and tried to turn it off at the machines power switch but it wouldnt turn off, so I killed the power at the wall. Left it for a couple of minutes and each time I restored power at the wall, it started up with its crazy antics again.

I will call Sunbeam in the morning but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what this might be due to? Do you think I killed it during the extended milk steaming session this morning?

What do you think my chances are of getting any sort of help from them, given that it is just out of warranty? I have been toying with upgrading to a EM6910 anyway but it seems such a shame to just toss this one out. Would be great if I could get it fixed and kept as a backup.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Megan

Re: Sunbeam EM5800 dead... need advice!

Cant really help you out with this particular machine meglim but if the worst should happen and the machine ends up being kaput then it might be worth keeping for spare parts, e.g. the pump may be very similar to the brew pump on the EM6910 :-?

Hope it turns out to be something worth repairing mate and cheap to fix. All the best :),

Mal.