Thread: DeLonghi EC190 any good?

DeLonghi EC190 any good?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This model seems to be obsolete so its hard to find reviews and new prices but as far as I can tell it was at the lower end of the range (under $200). Does anyone know if its any good? I found one going lightly used but it would be good to hear from anyone who has used one. (Bargain? Discontinued because its no good?)

Any other recommendations on good value machines appreciated -- I prefer a simple mechanism and dont mind a bit of skill required but dont want to buy junk even though price is a big consideration. Thanks.

Re: DeLonghi EC190 any good?

I recently had one very similar, a Delonghi EC410. I upgraded from this to my Sunbeam recently (got the Delonghi virtually new on eBay for $60, and sold it for $50 after a couple of months use).

I really didnt like the steam wand, the lighweight portafilter (my Sunbeams is *much* more solid), the built in tamper and preferred the Sunbeams stainless construction to the Delonghis plastic.

From what I read here, the fact that it uses a stainless boiler is a plus. However I did notice the improvement in the taste of the espresso from my Sunbeam, which is a thermoblock machine, so ... hmmm.

Actually, come to think of it, I reckon I used one of these for years at my Mums place back in Adelaide (it looks identical). I vaguely remember having ok lattes, despite knowing basically nothing about making coffee (other than once you put instant in a mug of hot water, you usually stir), and microwaving the milk instead of steaming it.