Thread: Buying a machine in Italy... Advice please

Buying a machine in Italy... Advice please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings from Canada from a first time poster!
    My wife and I will be spending one month in Italy. First three days in Venice, and then in a small hill town, Campello Alto near Spoleto. Is it economically advantageous for us to buy our first Espresso machine while in Italy. We were initially considering a Gaggia Carezza, based on pretty strong reviews, but wondered if there might be another machine that we might buy there that would represent a real deal. Assume a budget of about $400.
    Many thanks for any help you might offer.

Blog Entries

Re: Buying a machine in Italy... Advice please

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Polonski,

Most of Europe is 220v from memory so you might find that its more trouble than its worth sourcing something electrical to take back home.

However Im sure that shopping for espresso cups or the like will be fun in Italy.

Enjoy your month in Italy and I look forward to hearing what you thought of the coffee scene there. Pictures would be great too!

Lucky you! :)

I cant offer any recommendations, but some things to consider:
    -warranty - you would want an international one
    -access to a local service agent in the event anything goes wrong/the machine needs service

Just some thoughts I had when I went to Japan and contemplated buying lots of electrical goodies to bring home.

Enjoy your trip.

Javabeen.

I wouldnt go out of my way to get a Gaggia Carezza -- mine has given up the ghost after 6 years of fairly light use -- average about 4 cups a week. Ill also echo the voltage problem -- we have 240V in Oz and most appliances designed for 220V can tolerate that sort of difference but you dont want to run an appliance off a transformer as youd have to in a 110/120V part of the world with a European machine. (Been there, done that.)

Rather I propose you explore the machines people in Italy use and compare with reviews when you get home.

Perhaps a big advantage of buying in Italy would be the 2nd hand market.. youre not going to have a warranty anyway and they probably have millions of old Italian made coffee machines just lying on the nature strip ;P

But as Andy says, youll need an inverter for the voltage if Canada is on 110..

Also consider charges for transport home.
    Weight being the main factor.

Many thanks for the helpful tips, and based on your input,I have decided to buy here in the Frozen North. Here now is my new dilemma.
    As a first time espresso machine buyer Im torn between these models.
    The Saeco Armonia and the Gaggia Carezza are both available here in the Montreal area for about $250. I have noted positive feedback on various sites for both (many more postings for the Carezza).
    Now to confuse matters for me there is the higher priced Saeco Aroma which also gets plenty of kudos at a price of $400 which is about the extent of my budget
    Aside from styling, and the plastic versus steel finish, the "guts" of the two Saecos seem quite similar.
    So my dilemma appears to be at the lower price point : Armonia versus Gaggia, or is the Saeco Aroma at the hgher end worth the price differential of either of the other two models?
    Any advice would be welcome.

If the guts are the same then it comes down to whether or not you are willing to pay the extra for the look (if you choose Saeco).

You havent mentioned a grinder though.
    Without one the machine is as good as useless.

You need the best grinder you can afford in order to bring the best out of the machine.

I haven`t had a good experience with Gaggia. But to be clear i have killed 3 sub $300 machines of various brands in 6yrs b4 the Gaggia
    I had a baby Gaggia & it needed new brew valves - 2 in 3 yrs and then it died.
    I now Have a Saeco Gran Crema Deluxe and it is consisitent and is still alive after 3 yrs.