Thread: Breville IKON - steaming cappuccino for one serve?

Breville IKON - steaming cappuccino for one serve?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Ive had a lot of trouble with window leaks and bad gutters so have had to spend almost $1k to get my gutters replaced.

So Ive had to adjust my budget for coffee machines. Was looking at mid-end or even higher, but now due to something beyond my control Ive had to claw back a bit.

Im looking at the Ikon and was wondering what the steaming is like? Ive heard mixed reports, but some say that they wont steam for more than 2 cappuccinos at a time? Was there different batches with different steam ability?

Is the steam really lacking in the Ikon if youre only texturing milk for a single cappuccino or latte? How is the steam compared to say the Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto? I know the steaming on the Ristretto was much better than the thermoblock-based machine I had a few years back.

I can get Krups baskets and I can also get a decent 51mm tamper, and of course, a Zassenhaus grinder and some nice roasted Honduran coffee beans!

But the machine is the thing on my list in doubt and just wondering how it would go. I only plan to make one cappuccino/latte at any one time, so i have no need to do more than one. I do enjoy doing latte art, and decent microfoam would be very nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Warm regards
    Ben

Re: Breville IKON - steaming cappuccino for one se

Gday Ben,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate....... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If I was in your shoes and forced to tighten up my budget, rather than opt for a new espresso machine and the use of a hand grinder, I would pool my resources and go for the best grinder that I could buy. Then, either use a Plunger, Moka Pot, an AeroPress or what have you as the brewing medium. That way, so long as you use high quality, freshly roasted beans only ground immediately prior to brewing, you get to enjoy the best flavours that coffee has to offer 8-).

Having a decent grinder is waaayyy more important than the brewing method used and you can always save the pennies and buy an espresso machine further on up the track but without a decent grinder, an espresso machine just isnt going to be able to perform. Go for the grinder first mate and leave the espresso machine for later, you wont regret it from a quality coffee point of view.

Cheers Ben :),
    Mal.

I could buy a 2nd hand Cunill grinder.

But just wondering about the milk texturing with the Ikon. Ive heard some say its good if youre doing one drink, while some say so-so if youre doing more than one drink.

Confused about this and wanted clarification.

Warm regards
    Ben

Hi again Ben,

Found this reference on another (substantial) Ikon thread and perhaps some of the info in here might be of help..... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...803379/180#190

Cheers,
    Mal.