Thread: Upgrading Sunbeam with Krups Basket and Seal...

Upgrading Sunbeam with Krups Basket and Seal...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just rang a place in Perth to get the 2 cup basket and a new brew head seal the part numbers where :

#0907163 - basket
    #620342 - seal

The guy was very helpful and they had them in stock. All up it cost $29 and I will be picking them up today.

I just found it hard to find this information in one place so I thought a good topic title with all the info here would be handy.

Im off to pick up the Krups parts now and will get some cheap beans on the way home that I know Ive made reasonable coffee with before and get to trying this stuff out. I have a cheapy blade chopper/grinder thing but itll have to do for the next couple of weeks until I get $$$s sorted!! That and pre-ground coffee.

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Re: Upgrading Sunbeam with Krups Basket and Seal..

So I picked it up and have been using the Krups basket but the normal Sunbeam seal. It hasnt blown yet and Ive poured a couple of nice 25-30sec double shots. Im interested to see how much better it is with very fresh coffee as so far its already better than the old setup.

I am yet to buy some beans but after having three or four coffees this afternoon Im all out of pre-ground stuff :)

I took some pics too so Ill try and upload them later so the pics of what youre looking for are all together too.

Id be interested in how it goes.......what type of Sunbeam do you have?
    I have a Sunbeam EM4800c and an EM0450 grinder. I cant get much more than 10-15sec double shot pours. The Sunbeam doesnt seem to like the finer grinds and the seal blows quite easily. The lowest grind I can use is around the 14 setting. There have been a few threads on CS re changing to the the Krupps basket and seal.
    Cheers, John.

I was having trouble with blow outs with my EM4800 but I used a coarser grind and when this had little effect checked my tamp pressure. I was tamping to hard. I used a scale to check and now I have not had a blow out since and get good pours. Remember each different bean will probably require a minor change to the grind level. ;). Another cause is not locking the PF on firmly enough. I would check this first before changing anything else.

Cheers

I used to have trouble with blow outs too. The spoon/tamper that came with the EM4800 required alot of force to ensure that channeling didnt occur, so I found myself walking a fine line between too much force (blowout) and too little force (channelling).

I recently perfected my technique using some really cheap beans from coles ($15 for 1kg).

I got a decent tamper during the chaddy mid year sales and its really helped with the consistency alot. With the included EM4800 spoon/tamper, its quite hard to get the right tamp every time...but using the double basket makes it easier. With the 52mm tamper that came with the barista pack, I find that using the single basket makes much more consistent shots. Its almost like the single basket was designed for the 52mm tamper.

With the right tamper:
    1) dont need to tamp so hard (prevents blow outs)
    2) channeling less likely to occur (10 sec gushers..)

Attached is a picture of a 22ml shot in 25 secs. Standard EM4800 pressurized basket.

Tips for consistency:

1) Grind into another container, agitate with back of teaspoon or something to break up any clumps
    2) slightly overfill basket with coffee
    3) Use something round and smooth (i use a milkwand cover) to swipe over the grounds --> making a level surface with the basket.
    4) Tamp on a weighing scale.
    5) Make sure the tamper is quite level after tamping.

Prior to standardizing my technique, channeling was very common.. Its like a channel forms through the puck and water just spurts through in a few seconds... even with a pressurized basket :o

disaster..

Thanks for replies and tips. I will try them out through the week.

All the best....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno link=1213332054/0#2 date=1213496817
    Id be interested in how it goes.......what type of Sunbeam do you have?
    Hi, I have the Sunbeam EM3800 (Sunbeam Cafe Espresso) and the basket it s direct replacement. Its not super tight like the Sunbeam ones are, but I can hit the portafilter on the edge of the bin and the puck releases perfectly without the basket leaving. Its a snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno link=1213332054/0#2 date=1213496817
    I have a Sunbeam EM4800c and an EM0450 grinder. I cant get much more than 10-15sec double shot pours. The Sunbeam doesnt seem to like the finer grinds and the seal blows quite easily. The lowest grind I can use is around the 14 setting. There have been a few threads on CS re changing to the the Krupps basket and seal.
    Cheers, John.
    I bought a Krups seal at the same time, but I havent needed it yet and have pushed pours out to 30sec so far. It definitely isnt as tight as it was with the Sunbeam baskets but I have choked the machine once so far and it didnt blow. I would say that it depends on how good the condition is of the seal you have.

I was getting very nice 25sec, 60mL pours with crema from some pre-ground coffee. I am currently playing around with grind level with some new beans at the moment.

I really, really need to get a real grinder!

Just as a follow up ...

I bought some cheap beans to get my setup down on the weekend, I think theyre Harris Mocha Kenya and Italian Espresso beans. Not fussed really :)

I have a cheap blade autogrinder. Yes, my setup is lacking at the moment :)

However with all of this in the way I am producing the best coffee that has ever come out of this machine.

The group head needs to be spun further round as the seal is not as tight, however I did have some good 25-30sec pours and also choked the machine with the good pre-grounds I had and it didnt blow.

I have removed the plastic insert in the group handle because the plastic that protrudes made it difficult to tamp reliably. Now the handle sits flat quite easily and its easier to get the required tamp force. I have a crappy non-fitting metal tamp though and so after the grinder I think I will upgrade this too.

Pucks come out of the handle with a swift tap which is cool, much nicer than having to scrape it out with a spoon. It just feels like Im getting closer to making real coffee too.

I definitely suggest having a decent burr grinder before doing this mod otherwise you will need to have the money to buy one straight away :) More than ever I see the difference a grinder and grind level make.

I have a lot more experimenting to do yet.......it seems there are so many variables in getting a great coffee! Patience is a virtue.

Welcome to Upgraditis [smiley=evil.gif] - you are well on the way to becoming a Coffeesnob. The better the grinder the better the taste. I went from a Sunbeam 0480 to a Mini Mazzer and the difference even with the Cafe Crema (EM4800) was astounding. I am still waiting for unpressurised baskets.

Hello,

I rang a store to order the krups basket and seal for my sunbeam, but the guy said he needs to model number of the krups machine they are made for... he wouldnt just take the part numbers... does anyone know how i could find this??

Hi All, long time lurker here.

I have a EM3800, it used to pour a great shot (i think) but now wont.

Im guessing a krups basket and seal will solve, but just wanted to make sure.

I use a em0450 grinder and used to be able to fill the basket, tamp the crap out of it, and pull a nice long thick double shot. Now it wont even dribble out unless the grind is coarse and barely tamped. Im not getting blow out but i take it either i have a blockage, crap seal (losing pressure) or god knows. I take it that it must be a part that car wear dowd like the seal as it used to work. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Hi Gibbocore and welcome to CS!

I dont know that replacing the basket will necessarily solve the problem though if this is blocked with coffee residue it would explain the difficulty youre having pulling a shot.

Does water flow freely without the group handle in place?

If no, the blockage is higher up - perhaps behind the shower screen and will need to be backflushed or have the showercreen replaced. If yes...

Does water flow freely with the group handle in place? If no, the blockage is between the basket and group handle so soak it in coretto. If yes...then I have no idea! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1213332054/0#13 date=1216361001
    so soak it in coretto. *
    How do you soak it in a breadmaker/heatgun Dennis? ;D ;D ;D

I think you mean Cafetto right? I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1213332054/0#14 date=1216361154
    so soak it in coretto.
    How do you soak it in a breadmaker/heatgun Dennis? ;D ;D ;D

I think you mean Cafetto right? I had a laugh
    Nah, I meant to put some cafetto in a coretto and soak it....too many late nights....I had a laugh! Yes, soak it in cafetto and unplug the coretto if you decide to use that.

;D

I dont know that replacing the basket will necessarily solve the problem though if this is blocked with coffee residue it would explain the difficulty youre having pulling a shot.

If no, the blockage is higher up - perhaps behind the shower screen and will need to be backflushed or have the showercreen replaced. *If yes...

Does water flow freely with the group handle in place? *If no, the blockage is between the basket and group handle so soak it in coretto. *If yes...then I have no idea! *;D
    Cheers mate, i see what youre getting at. I can pour two legs of water out of the group handle with no coffee in it, so is it fair to assume then that i need to clean the back of the shower screen?

Might as well throw the laundry in there too I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbocore link=1213332054/0#16 date=1216362370

If no, the blockage is higher up - perhaps behind the shower screen and will need to be backflushed or have the showercreen replaced. *If yes...

Does water flow freely with the group handle in place? *If no, the blockage is between the basket and group handle so soak it in coretto. *If yes...then I have no idea! *;D
    Cheers mate, i see what youre getting at. I can pour two legs of water out of the group handle with no coffee in it, so is it fair to assume then that i need to clean the back of the shower screen?
    Also, i just unscrewed the showerscreen, it was a bit dark on the back and i gave it a good wash and put it back together.

[QUOTE=Gibbocore link=1213332054/0#18 date=1216362819]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbocore link=1213332054/0#16 date=1216362370

Also, i just unscrewed the showerscreen, it was a bit dark on the back and i gave it a good wash and put it back together.
    So, try making another coffee and let us know if its made any difference.

richierichie - They should only need the part numbers the model number of the machine is not relevant. I ordered just by part numbers and got the right parts. Dont order the single basket it is waste of time it doesnt fit properly and the double basket makes a great cup. :)

Hi all :) Have been lurking for a long time but I need to post!

Ok, so I have the EM4800 and I know I NEED the krups basket/seal combo. Trouble is, I rang the Krups agent on the Gold Coast (where I am) and he told me that the old krups basket was non-pressurized, but now the new one is the same as the sunbeam (pressurized) and is no different.

But here you are getting them!! Can someone PLEASE tell me where the heck I can order them from?? In Brisbane, or anywhere for that matter!

Thanks for any help

Rosie - check out this thread on using a Breville unpressurised basket in Sunbeam machines. Ive got the 4800C and am probably going to do what is suggested here:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1214883549

Sounds easy and should be simple to get as I dont have a Krups service place near me.

Cheers, hope it helps - boingk

Oh thanks for that link, that could be the way to go 8-)