Thread: Help Krups not working well anymore :(

Kat

Help Krups not working well anymore :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Im new, searching for answers with my coffee machine. I got myself a Krups xp4020 for free from Flybuys. It has been a wonderful little machine, had it for about a year now and never a problem. I buy my coffee at a local coffee shop which grinds for me and Ive always been happy. However, a couple of weeks ago it started to not work properly. (Im not great on all this coffee language so youll have to bear with me here, bit hard to explain.) My espresso has always had a lovely thick foam on top. What has started to happen is it wont come through smoothly but bubbles and comes out dark and then sometimes wouldnt come out at all and when you take off the group (I think thats what its called that you put the coffee in) it almost exploded!!!! coffee went everywhere. I got my hubby to look at it and I did a descale, water comes through properly (were actually on high quality rainwater so I dont think thats the issue) the water comes through no worries, its just when you put the coffee in. So.... my hubby thinks its probably the coffee, so I took the last in this packet back to the coffee place, they looked at it and said yes it had been ground too fine, not sure why, usually wasnt (Id never had probs b4 either) so I carried on, now it seems sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont, Im getting very frustrated as Ive had a few different packets of coffee now to see if its the coffee and it doesnt appear to be. Ive even bought it from the supermarket uggh! Im not sure what else to do or why this is happening, does anyone have any ideas? Maybe it needs a service?? Please Help, Im missing my coffee.

TC

Re: Help Krups not working well anymore :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kat link=1213766001/0#0 date=1213766001
    Hi, Im new, searching for answers with my coffee machine. *I got myself a Krups xp4020 for free from Flybuys. *It has been a wonderful little machine, had it for about a year now and never a problem. *I buy my coffee at a local coffee shop which grinds for me and Ive always been happy. *However, a couple of weeks ago it started to not work properly. *(Im not great on all this coffee language so youll have to bear with me here, bit hard to explain.) *My espresso has always had a lovely thick foam on top. *What has started to happen is it wont come through smoothly but bubbles and comes out dark and then sometimes wouldnt come out at all and when you take off the group (I think thats what its called that you put the coffee in) it almost exploded!!!! coffee went everywhere. *I got my hubby to look at it and I did a descale, water comes through properly (were actually on high quality rainwater so I dont think thats the issue) the water comes through no worries, its just when you put the coffee in. *So.... my hubby thinks its probably the coffee, so I took the last in this packet back to the coffee place, they looked at it and said yes it had been ground too fine, not sure why, usually wasnt (Id never had probs b4 either) so I carried on, now it seems sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont, Im getting very frustrated as Ive had a few different packets of coffee now to see if its the coffee and it doesnt appear to be. *Ive even bought it from the supermarket uggh! Im not sure what else to do or why this is happening, does anyone have any ideas? *Maybe it needs a service?? Please Help, Im missing my coffee.
    Hi Kat and welcome to CS,

Sounds to me like your local has possibly botched the grind- which is so fine that its choking your machine.

Your machine will have pressurised filter baskets- many holes on one side and a single hole on the other. These baskets are designed to create a "false crema" from any old coffee- even plunger grind.

Notwithstanding damage to the machine, try a coarser grind first...

Good luck ;)

2mcm

It is possibly one or more things

1. Grind is to fine - try tamping with less pressure
    2. Your PF/Group head seal is worn and in need of replacement
    3. Your Group head seal is worn turn the handle further around
    4. Your PF is partially blocked.

I get this with the sunbeam (pressurised baskets) if I totally overdose or I set the grind to fine.

Hope this helps :)

Kat

hi 2muchcoffeeman, Are you saying that the grind could be blocking something? Is there something therefore I can clean out? I have unscrewed the filter thing and the seal, they all look brand new and perfect condition, I can hold the screen that I unscrewed out up to the light and see through every hole. Can having used this fine grind really have damaged my machine in a way I wont be able to fix? or get fixed? yikes
    Last time I had my coffee ground he did it a bit coarser than normal aswell to see if that helped and it doesnt seem to have made any difference.
    Yes, that is what the basket is like. What do you mean by a false crema?
    One thing I have noticed also is that when I take the group off there is a layer of water on the top of the coffee grinds, they are very wet when the water comes through, also if it doesnt come through at all its really dry and barely wet on the top at all. I figure from what information I have read, the grinds should be looking damp but no water on top is that correct? Does this explain what else could be wrong?

Stan, what is a PF? Ihave tried tamping with less pressure and then tamping with more pressure and nothing seems to change it. I always have the handle turned firmly around.

Any more ideas?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Kat link=1213766001/0#3 date=1213774585
    hi 2muchcoffeeman, Are you saying that the grind could be blocking something? Is there something therefore I can clean out? *I have unscrewed the filter thing and the seal, they all look brand new and perfect condition, I can hold the screen that I unscrewed out up to the light and see through every hole. *Can having used this fine grind really have damaged my machine in a way I wont be able to fix? or get fixed? yikes
    Last time I had my coffee ground he did it a bit coarser than normal aswell to see if that helped and it doesnt seem to have made any difference.
    Yes, that is what the basket is like. *What do you mean by a false crema?
    One thing I have noticed also is that when I take the group off there is a layer of water on the top of the coffee grinds, they are very wet when the water comes through, also if it doesnt come through at all its really dry and barely wet on the top at all. *I figure from what information I have read, the grinds should be looking damp but no water on top is that correct? *Does this explain what else could be wrong?

Stan, what is a PF? *Ihave tried tamping with less pressure and then tamping with more pressure and nothing seems to change it. *I always have the handle turned firmly around.

Any more ideas?
    All of those symptoms make me inclined to think that your coffee supplier mucked up and has ground the coffee too finely- i.e the grind is blocking the flow of water. If the machine operates perfectly without coffee, the coffee you have is probably too fine. Imagine yourself trying to find a pathway through talcum powder as compared to rocks...

2mcm

Most machines with pressurised baskets come with a pin to unblock the hole in the baskets. The hole may be blocked.
    Have you tried this?

Kat

As the problem comes and goes and only since the time of the too finely ground coffee, I think you may be right that it is in the bottom layer of the basket and thereby partially blocking it, my husband has a special little bath unit that jiggles components to clean them, I think I might try that and see if it works. I spoke to a friend yesterday who had exactly the same happen to her and her husband blew it out with a high pressure hose so it sounds like it might be to do with the basket. I tried this morning using the double cup basket and that works fine so Im pretty sure thats what it is. The only thing I dont like about the double basket is it hasnt ever had as good a crema on top, so I dont like to use it. Is that just how the double ones are?
    Thanks for all your help. This is a very interesting site, its even made me curious to learn more about the roasting of my own beans just to try it even once. I have a spare popcorn maker ;) also I homeschool my children and so love to find things like this to learn first hand the whys and how tos in life.

a PF is the porta filter - this is the thing with the handle that holds the basket that holds the coffee. The pressurised baskets have a small hole through which the coffee is forced to give the false crema. Sometimes if the grind is to fine a ground blocks it. The machine will usually come with a pin to unblock this hole. If it didnt a very fine needle will work. :)

Hi Kat-

I found your post whilst searching for parts, but my hubby pulled our Krups apart (we got the same one as you with the flybys deal) and the group head seal is totally split! Just like Stan mentioned above.

We had the same problems as you, and in the end the coffee was just spitting out the top of the handle and flying everywhere! It just slowly got worse and worse until it stopped working and we were happy to pull it apart :D

Now our problem is just trying to find a replacement...
    :-? anyone know any good websites to start looking? Im not having much luck.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 536F7269636275606863070 link=1237642712/3#3 date=1237682401
    go to krups.com and select "International" then find "Contact" at the bottom of the next page.
    From there you should be able to find the Australian contact details.