Thread: EM5600 Constantly having problems with it blocking

EM5600 Constantly having problems with it blocking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Can anyone help in with ideas in modifying the basket in this machine. Constantly having problems with it blocking. Would love to have a none pressurized version, what would someone have to do with this machine. ANY help with save my brain cells.

Re: EM5600 Constantly having problems with it bloc

You may need to grind a little courser. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mdhatter link=1213939897/0#0 date=1213939897
    Can anyone help in with ideas in modifying the basket in this machine. Constantly having problems with it blocking. Would love to have a none pressurized version, what would someone have to do with this machine. ANY help with save my brain cells.
    Gday Mdhatter,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

When using a pressurised style basket, the type that is normally furnished with appliance espresso machines, you need to use a grind that is quite a bit coarser than a typical true espresso grind. The reason for this is because the basket itself provides the required back-pressure and generates the ersatz crema to go with it.

The easiest way to find the ideal grind for your particular machine is too start out with a grind that is quite coarse, similar to that of castor sugar when rubbed between the fingers, and then continue to set the grinder one notch finer until such time as you are achieving shots of 30/60ml (Single/Double) within the 25-30 seconds time frame. You need to make sure that you stop the shots before the stream becomes noticeably blonde in appearance, as explained here on the Home Barista website. You also dont need to apply much tamping force with this style of basket either, just enough to make sure all the coffee is packed down into a homogeneous cake or puck.

Naturally, we will all advise you to replace the pressurised basket with a standard or non-pressurised basket, either the Krups one or the Breville one (generally preferred lately as it is a better fit in most SB and Breville PortaFilters). If you do a search of the forum with either Krups or Breville basket as the keywords, you should be able to find info about these. One thing you need to keep in mind though (with standard baskets) is that you will need to buy yourself a decent grinder with the Sunbeam EMO480 grinder as the minimum entry point. If you can afford to buy better then this is to be highly recommended. Hope that helps out a bit, :)

Cheers,
    Mal.

Thanks guys and thankyou Mal that helps alot. When I tried a shot with just an empty basket I still have blockage problems, the single shot works fine. Also cleaning the basket with the provided attachment has no effect. Will purchase a krups none pressurized version. Currently using the 480 grinder, its the Parents machine so its good practice for my eventual purchase of the syliva and rocky combo dream machine I had a laugh. Thanks again mate