Thread: Is it worth me buying a new machine?

Is it worth me buying a new machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    A while ago I was given a Sunbeam EM4800 espresso machine and purchased an EM0450 burr grinder to go with it. Not being experienced coffee drinkers, were more-than-happy with the result. Our household only ever makes 2 cuppas a day.

Alas, the EM4800 is on its last legs so its time to buy something new. I have a total budget of around $500 and am looking at a Gaggia Classic.

Is the combination of the Gaggia and the Sunbeam grinder going to give me a decent coffee, or am I going to be let down by the grinder?

I imagine the advice will be to get a better grinder, but as I said the total budget is $500, so I cant imagine I can upgrade both the espresso machine AND the grinder for that amount. Dont want to waste my money, so if the result is not going to be worth it, Im likely not to replace anything and just go back to drinking tea. *:o

Re: Is it worth me buying a new machine?

The EM0450 is basically a better and cheaper version of the EM0480. The next step up is really a few hundred bucks more. If you dont drink that much coffee, its probably going to be more than enough for you. Its an exceptionally good value grinder.

If you mostly drink milk-based drinks, its probably well and truly worthwhile stretching the budget to pick up a Sunbeam EM6910. That way you can brew and steam at the same time. Both the Sunbeam and the Gaggia have pretty big baskets, which gives you a bigger margin for error.

Cheers,

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1214019919/0#1 date=1214021343
    The EM0450 is basically a better and cheaper version of the EM0480. *The next step up is really a few hundred bucks more. *If you dont drink that much coffee, its probably going to be more than enough for you. *Its an exceptionally good value grinder.

If you mostly drink milk-based drinks, its probably well and truly worthwhile stretching the budget to pick up a Sunbeam EM6910. *That way you can brew and steam at the same time. *Both the Sunbeam and the Gaggia have pretty big baskets, which gives you a bigger margin for error.
    Good to hear my grinders worth keeping! *:) But your last paragraph leads me to another question. As I said, I only make 2 coffees per day - 1 cappuccino and 1....um.....er..... whatever its called when I have a shot of coffee and then add water til its about 3/4 full and then add steamed milk. *:-? And I make em both at the same time.

So - Im not sure if that sort of output warrants stretching the budget to the EM6910. Do I need to brew and steam at the same time?

Would it maybe be a better idea and take a step BACK from both the 6910 and the Classic? Not being a connoisseur, I was quite happy with what I churned out using the EM4800. Maybe I should just replace that with another of the same model? But this IS a rare chance to upgrade!! *But every cent I dont have to spend, can go to other very worthy causes. But...... man - Ive got a headache!!

Whatcha reckon??

Hard decision SpeedBump.
    Sounds like you were more than happy with what you had before but as is human nature, you are forever wondering what you can get out there that will be "bigger & better".

With total output of 2 coffees per day I would say that the EM4800 will probably suffice. However, what beans are you currently using? A fairly important factor for anyone to know before spinning advice off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Christretto link=1214019919/0#3 date=1214101042
    Hard decision SpeedBump.
    Sounds like you were more than happy with what you had before but as is human nature, you are forever wondering what you can get out there that will be "bigger & better".

With total output of 2 coffees per day I would say that the EM4800 will probably suffice. *However, what beans are you currently using? *A fairly important factor for anyone to know before spinning advice off to you.
    Im a dedicated CoffeeSnobs BeanBay green purchaser and I roast em up in my reliable little popcorn machine. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Well it is great to hear that you are using quality, fresh roasted beans. If you only have the budget of $500 then you would probably run with the same machine and start a new savings fund for a new grinder in the near future. At least you know the beast that you will be using. If you were having a higher output of coffee then I would side with Lucas suggestion and stretch it to a 6910.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the helpful replies and comments, Christretto and luca. Since I was quite happy with what I had before, I think Ive decided to replace the EM4800 with either another EM4800 or step up a tad to a EM5600 or EM5800.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBump link=1214019919/0#6 date=1214179016
    Thanks for the helpful replies and comments, Christretto and luca. Since I was quite happy with what I had before, I think Ive decided to replace the EM4800 with either another EM4800 or step up a tad to a EM5600 or EM5800.

Thanks!!
    With your budget you could buy a replacement EM4800 and upgrade your grinder to something in the $300 range (Iberital Challenge, Nemox, ASCASO I3 Mini).

Tony,