Thread: EM4800 - weak & wet steam

VC

EM4800 - weak & wet steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know what might be causing weak and wet steam on my EM4800? I recall, once upon a time, that the steam could actually cause a whirlpool in my milk jug while steaming... now that is a distant memory.

I have descaled my machine, stuck the wand in a pot of boiling water (in an effort to dissolve any muck that might be stuck inside)... but still no joy.

It still steam the milk... it just takes forever, which means that the end product is reasonably watery.

Might next guess is that the o-ring might need replacing - something I did before when I noticed excessive steam was gushing out of the interface between the machine and the steam wand.

Any thoughts? Also, any thoughts on whether its possible to open up the machine and tweak the steam pump to make it more powerful or drier?

Re: EM4800 - weak & wet steam

Check that the steam tip is not clogged with old milk. If it is you will need to use the pin that comes with the machine under the water tank. If it has built up over time soaking in hot water will not remove it. The plastic spoon that comes with the machine has a spanner section for removing the steam tip. :)

VC

I didnt realise the steam tip could be unscrewed! Now I know why there are hex holes in the scoop! Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, the steam tip is fine.

Any other ideas? I am not hopeful about the situation improving by replacing the o-ring because, if it was an o-ring problem, Id notice steam escaping where it shouldnt... but this is not happening at the moment...

Have you tried descaling the machine? You could have a build up blocking the water channels. Use the recommended chemical - Dont use vinegar see another post as to the consequences of using the wrong stuff. The below link should tell you more about descaling.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1212802805

This was a machine I briefly researched and rejected it fairly quickly. You could try soaking the steam nozzle in cleaning solution but I would say its the pump.

If it is under warranty, take it in for repairs; if it isnt, dont throw good money after bad.

e.g. http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=6444&section=REVIEWS&order_by =item_rate_score&is_asc=1

VC

Resolved!

If anyone else has this issue, heres what I did to fix the problem:

- Got some new o-rings from the plumbers co-op . They gave them to me for free to save the paperwork. I think they were size 5. These go above and below the discharge point of the steam from the main machine (not the wand). Remove the wand and youll know what I mean.
    - Got some slightly larger o-rings and put one between the bolt (for the wand) and the wand itself, and another between the wand and the machine-proper. These o-rings were from a standard tap washer kit.

The result is that all the steam now exists from the steam wand and not through little gaps here and there.

The steam is now as good as new and Im a happy chappy. Im seeing whirlpools and textured milk that I thought my machine could no longer produce. The difference is amazing.