Thread: Breville 800es wont build pressure

Breville 800es wont build pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I have been lurking for a while now enjoying the site and finally have a reason to post.
    I picked up a new 800es last xmas and everything has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago. *:(
    Now when I turn on the unit, it does its usual few pumps to get the pressure up but then it fails to stop pumping and ends up draining the water tank into the drip tray!
    I can only assume there is a valve not shutting off fully inside for some reason?
    It doesnt do the same thing every time either. Sometimes it stops long enough to reach full temperature but most times not.
    I have operated all the various functions but to no avail.
    I have to say I havent used it all that much as I am only home for 2 out of every 4 weeks and then it might be for only 1 or 2 cups a day.
    Options are: open it up and have a peek, or take it to the service man.
    That is of course unless someone can offer me some advice. (I havent decalcifyed as yet)
    Hoping someone can help.

Ado

Re: Breville 800es wont build pressure

Update:
    Well I called the local service center today and explained my problem.
    His response- You better bring it in, sounds like a card fault! :(

Not ready for that yet so I ducked out and picked up some white vinegar as per the manual to try de-calcifying it.
    I have spent the last hour running a 50:50 mix through he machine switching between espresso/hotwater/steam modes and back to standby in between.

Initially it had same problem.
    Going from espresso to standby the pump just keeps going draining the tank to the tray.
    Go to steam mode and let it run for a bit and then back to standby and it stops OK.

After about 1/2hr of this it appeared to come good :)
    Not convinced I kept cycling it for another half hour and flushed it with fresh cold water and it didnt miss a beat. :) :)

Im wondering if it was just too little use with me being away so much?
    The proof wil be in the next week if it continues to behave itself.

From now on Im just going to have to ramp up the coffee consumption!!! :o

24hrs later!

3 successful coffees during the day yesterday. :)
    Put the unit on to preheat for one more after dinner and came back into the kitchen 15 minutes later to the sound of the pump working!
    Luckily it hadnt run dry at this point.
    Tried everything but to no avail.
    Proceeded to empty the tank and get it ready to go to the repair man!
    Dropped it off this morning and will be without for about a week. :(
    I suppose it is back to instant for now!

that sounds like the first 800es I had, almost 3years ago I bought it new, for a week it worked fine, but a couple of times it turned itself off and the water catch tray full to overflowing, then a couple of times I heard it go by itself pumping water and trying to drain the tank dry, eventually it went completely bananas.

something totally screwed up the programming :( anyway I returned it to the Good Guys and they simply replaced it, the replacement has performed flawlessly, the only problem I had was when I snapped the steam wand off :P it was leaking water around the joint when steaming the milk, so I took it off, it looked like a 1/2" brass fitting with a nylon socket and flat rubber washer, so replaced it, torque it up with the spanner, snap!, turns out the 1/2" brass fitting is an elbow that fits into the alloy thermoblock, took me a few hours of drilling out the broken thread out of the block and turning up a new thread, silver solder the thread to the elbow, refit it all, works now no leaks :)

anyway I what I mean to say is send the machine back and get it replaced, there is a fault in the logic board, so it should be still under warrantee.

ceeya

dAz

Daz,

Sorry to here someone else had the same problem but at least I know someone else has had the same thing happen.

I have to call the service centre tomorrow but as far as I know it is covered by warranty so should be no charge.

Looking forward to a coffee after drinking tea for a few days. :)

Ado