Thread: Making the most of my sunbeam 4800 - help?

Making the most of my sunbeam 4800 - help?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

Im new here, and have been learning a lot reading through!
    I just won a cheap sunbeam espresso machine off ebay, i think its a 4800 for fifty bucks, and Im wanting to make the most of it (until i leave uni and can upgrade...)

From reading around, it seems like i should
    a) get a krups unpressurized 2 cup basket and seal
    (part #0907163 - basket, #620342 - seal)
    b) get a better flat tamper (what size/type do you recommend?)
    c) get a good grinder (what is the best one for the cheapest that will do?)
    d) keep fresh beans in airtight dark spot, not fridge..

Can anyone add anything to this, and or fill in the gaps/questions?

Any help would be great!!

Cheers,

R

Re: Making the most of my sunbeam 4800 - help?

Same here man, picked up a 4800 at the recent Harvey Norman sales...nowhere near as good a deal as yours though, obviously. Good work!

a) Yeah, Krups seal/basket combo seems to be the way to go for sure. Ill be investing. Seems to help to shop around as pricing isnt all that consistent.
    b) No idea on tampers, but the Sunbeam press seems to be alright according to others. Itll be a 52mm at any rate seeing as the baskets are 53mm.
    c) Grinder will be as good as you can afford basically. Minimum of Sunbeam 0450 apparently. Again, Im just using pre-ground at the moment.
    d) Bingo! Little Tupperware thingys are ideal, or ziplock bags/valve bags...anything you can remove air from. Make sure not to grind more than you need at once, Id be going a few days in advance at the outside.

Cheers - boingk

PS: Anyone, feel free to flame me if Ive said anything wrong/stupid/fatal.

The tamper supplied in the Sunbeam Baristas kit is OK for the EM4800 plus you get the milk jug and a cheap (very thin tamp mat) as well as the Chocolate shaker and group head brush (dont run the hot water when using this brush). I have the Krups basket but am still using the sunbeam group seal. I will get the krups seal when the Sunbeam one starts to leak.

Fresh beans and a reasonable grinder are the way to go especially with the unpressurised basket. I found the EM0480 grinder did the job. The 0450 is a cheaper version of this and would IMHO be the way to go. I got my EM0480 for $170 with a little bargaining but people have got them cheaper. the 0450 is about $150 I think as I have only seen them once.

I found this machine very adequate as the coffee from the unpressurised basket would be better than any coffee I have bought (except for one place). Best of luck ;)

Personally Id get a totally aftermarket tamper [take your baskets along to see what fits best], a bristle brush from the shaving section of the local woolies for a grand total of a buck fifty, a shaker with pattern templates from where ever you can [mine was $5 from Big W]....and lastly use an old neoprene pencil case or stubby holder as a tamp mat. I think $50 for the Sunbeam kit is a bit of a ripoff personally. Also, pretty much all machines come with a jug. So why provide it in the kit?

$0.00 - Jug [got with machine]
    $0.00 - Tamp mat [destitched stubby holder]
    $1.50 - Brush [wont melt like plastic one]
    $5.00 - Shaker [stainless, has templates and top-cover]

This leaves a budget of $43.50 [!] for other stuff. With this Ill probably end up buying a Krups basket, a tamper to fit [nothing specail, but nothing PLASTIC!!!], and then some beans.

EDIT: The kit does also come with a shot measurer and milk thermometer...but I cant see the latter being of much use to the majority of even minimally experienced milk frothers such as myself; visual, auditory and dextrous clues seem to be enough for me at the moment.

Cheers - boingk

Cheers,

thanks for the advice, that sounds good. I dont think i really need a shaker anyway, so thats gonna be nice and cheap! i can save some money for a grinder...
    good times.

TS, ive been down that road before with the 4800....

while you are waiting for your unpressurized basket and seal, pls see: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1214886480