Thread: pairing a rocky with a mere ikon espresso ??

pairing a rocky with a mere ikon espresso ??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    i have the breville ikon grinder and espresso combo. with unpressurized filter

with fresh grind beans.. the espresso is pulling nicely i think... 25 sec ish shot for 2-2.5oz... brown crema with the "guiness" effect while brewing...

a little inconsistent... the crema looks not bad (could be better.. but for a breville. i thought they are decent) .. the taste is decent but not great ..

i MAYBE upgrading sooner or later... so i wonder.. if i begin to upgrade the grinder now... would it make the breville produce much better shots??

is pairing the rocky with an ikon a stupid idea?? afterall. the grinder is MORE expensive than the espresso machine itself!!!

is rocky going to give me much better espresso than the breville grinder???

thanks

Re: pairing a rocky with a mere ikon espresso ??

In short - YES.

The Rocky will produce a WAY more consistent grind than the Brev. I think youll find if you search around that the grinder is more important in a lot of repects than the machine.

I second what YeeZa said. Go the upgrade of the grinder before upgrade of machine. You will definitely be getting better shots primarily due to grind consistency. The Rocky and the like are much more consistent than the breville and the like. Even the top end of the budget market, the Sunbeam 0480 have had reports of some inconsistency due to quality of burr assembly. You wont be having this issue with the Rocky!

If youve got the spare cash lying around, Id say go for it!

psaigh

When I upgraded my sunbeam 480 to a compak k10 the quality of the shots coming out of my breville 800 (which IMO is actually worse than the ikon) jumped imensely. I say definately go for it!

I went from a Sunbeam 0480 using a EM4800C and then upgraded to a Mazzer Mini and the difference in the coffee was astounding. It allows you to enjoy good coffee until you can get a better machine. In some instances the grinder may cost more than the machine. It is a sound investment as a good quality grinder will last a lifetime unless you get upgraditis. I have now upgraded to an EM6910.

I concur with Stan get the best grinder you can afford and then save up for your upgraditis espresso machine...............................

Quote Originally Posted by psaigh link=1216883655/0#3 date=1216896533
    When I upgraded my sunbeam 480 to a compak k10 the quality of the shots coming out of my breville 800 (which IMO is actually worse than the ikon) jumped imensely. *I say definately go for it!
    A K10 on a breville 800 :o

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Monkey link=1216883655/0#6 date=1216986146
    A K10 on a breville 800 *:o
    Yeah.... But what about when youve got that beautiful 2-Group beauty standing next to it. Youll never have to buy another grinder 8-),

Mal.

psaigh

Well actually the k10 was a spoil of victory (winning the state barista comp earlier this year) and is now is planned for the cafe. But to be honest, I dont think id ever upgrade past an isomac tea for home use, and when the cafe opens ill be getting a new k10 for home.