Thread: Long black machine

b

Long black machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK, I know someone who wants to make espresso based long blacks (and currently makes them with paper filters). They have an EM0480 grinder. They dont make milk based drinks.

For a $200 to $300 budget is the Sunbeam EM4800C Cafe Crema one to get? What are the alternatives? Would a single boiler (Gaggia Cubika?) be better to avoid having to boil the kettle?

Theyve got the beans sorted from Rio, so its just machine that were concentrating on.

Cheers!

Re: Long black machine

I think a few people on this site have had some success with the Breville Ikon.

Rio? - Im guessing youre in SA then?

psaigh

My picks would be the aeropress, presso, or breville ikon (with the pressurised baskets removed and replaced)

b

Yep, live in Adelaide. (I have posted here a long time ago as black dog, though issues with changing email addresses made it easier to reregister.)

OK, Ill check the Breville Ikon out. Is the boiler big enough to get the water for the long black? Looks good enough, though I think that the brand might be a bit too sandwich toaster to get mrs bs endorsement.

I see from the web sites that Simply Coffee stocks presso and aeropress, so Ill wander over and have a look. However, cool as the presso looks, I think that they are after a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by b link=1217856931/0#3 date=1217897962
    OK, Ill check the Breville Ikon out. Is the boiler big enough to get the water for the long black?.
    With a machine like this I imagine (I could be wrong) you would have to heat up the kettle to heat the cups, you will have oodles of hot water.

Just be wary.
    Even with my Expobar long blacks are problematic.

I do my long blacks after all other drinks.

If I draw water for a long black theres a recovery time as the pump refills the boiler and then the steam pressure has to recover.

Im probably being fussy (snobby?) but Id imagine it would take even longer with the Ikon.

I suggest a hands on demo to make sure they are happy with it.

Dont forget vac pots, it is not espresso based, but you will get very nice, temperature controlled brewed long black. And it is vast improvement over paper filter.

^ Not to mention they look freakin cool!
    l

Quote Originally Posted by rudy link=1217856931/0#6 date=1217909713
    Dont forget vac pots, it is not espresso based, but you will get very nice, temperature controlled brewed long black. And it is vast improvement over paper filter.
    My personal fave after espresso.... mmm clarity.

b

Looked at the Bodum Santos vac pot. Can it be used on an electric stove top? Some of the other models clearly cant. Im sure that they wont be bothered to have a little gas burner to light up each time.

I second the vac pot vote:

I have been enjoying syphon coffee all week. I just got a new shipment of vacuum machines in (see my store link in the site sponsor thread). To celebrate I have got my vac pot off the shelf- in this cold weather it is a welcome change to having small espresso sized drinks. It is a good to have a large HOT mug of coffee- and to cut right back on the milk for a while.

The flavour is great- it is not espresso- but has its own uniquely tasty characteristics... hmmm. If it was not 2 am I would make one now...

Quote Originally Posted by b link=1217856931/0#9 date=1217991220
    Looked at the Bodum Santos vac pot. Can it be used on an electric stove top? Some of the other models clearly cant. Im sure that they wont be bothered to have a little gas burner to light up each time.
    Yeah it can for sure. I have one in my quiver. Note that its huge. I also have a smaller 2/3 cup that I use WAY more often than the 8 cup capacity of the Santos. My smaller one looks similar to the 2cup Sorrentina one, and with the forked feet, its fits perfectly over my gas burner on my stovetop.

Quote Originally Posted by SorrentinaCoffee link=1217856931/0#10 date=1218040516
    I second the vac pot vote:

I have been enjoying syphon coffee *all week. I just got a new shipment of vacuum machines in (see my store link in the site sponsor thread). To celebrate I have got my vac pot off the shelf- in this cold weather it is a welcome change to having small espresso sized drinks. It is a good to have a large HOT mug of coffee- and to cut right back on the milk for a while.

The flavour is great- it is not espresso- but has its own uniquely tasty characteristics... hmmm. If it was not 2 am I would make one now...
    Where were you when I desperately call to Canada for Hario products? 50 days wait with surface mailing :( ;D

"Where were you when I desperately call to Canada for Hario products? 50 days wait with surface mailing *:( *;D
    I was desperately waiting on my shipment of vacuum pots of course... Did you ever manage to get the replacement part you needed? My TCA-3 model is almost identical to some of the Hario models. There is a possibility that the parts may be interchangeable.

send me an email if you still need help getting your Vac pot back into service.

Concerning the stovetop: both models I currently sell can be used direct on my own gas stove. Both have enough of a gap between their legs to sit around my gas burner. Also the SCA-3 model has a handle so you can actually detach the vacuum body from the base and simply hold it over the stove top. In general I just use a little butane burner. The entire brewing process only takes a few minutes if you start with boiling water.

Hmmm,

These are very attractive units indeed 8-).... Might have to think about expanding my coffee paraphernalia a little more ;D

Mal.

Mal, you need one.

On a side note regarding the photo above - I usually let the water suck up to the top bowl before adding the coffee when I use my syphon.

Ireckon, as far as keeping it on topic, I reckon syphons are the goods. If I had the choice again from the start, and had a limited budget, Id be spending all my money on a good grinder and have enough left over for a syphon, as I used to drink a lot of long blacks.