Thread: God shot with cheapo machines

God shot with cheapo machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone...you know how every so often people talk about pulling a shot that just blows them away?

Well, it just happened to me! ;D

First shot of the morning was pretty average...kinda bitter which masked any good flavours. Meh, off to the shower. So I come back and measure, tamp, froth and shot. K, macchiato away! Hmmm...WHOA! Nil bitterness. Nil sourness. Max flavour, so smooth it shocked me. I used coffee, right, and not LSD infused honey? Affirmative! I swear, if I can keep this up Ill be quite the happy chappy...must have gotten everything just right for that one solitary shot.

For the record it was using an EM4800C w/Medaglia Doro preground stuff...yeah I know :o

So what other God shot pulling people are out there that have cheaper machines?

Re: God shot with cheapo machines

preground amd god shot dont seem to mix in my book...

its like asking about good instant coffee...

But its good to hear the planets aligned for you :D

Yeah I thought something was whacked as well...I mean it was probably the best cup Ive ever had to date. Cant wait to see what I can get once I save up enough dosh for a decent grinder!

I have a Sunbeam EM4800c and EM450 grinder......Id be interested in how long your shot took to pour.....I keep getting gushers!

My Sunbeam EM5600 has produced some amazing coffee too - though unfortunately cant predict when and how. *Seems to be a somewhat temperamental machine (one that needs the planets to align to get there :-?). *Cant face tipping anymore coffee down the drain, so am looking to upgrade in the coming weeks. *Will let you know if the God Shots come thick and fast with the new one! *;D

Isnt it great when that happens. Kind of makes all the fuss, time invested, learning, fiddling, tweaking and expense worthwhile.

I remember thinking when drinking, what i can only describe as a "GOD SHOT" that THIS is what makes it all worthwhile...

best
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno link=1218421431/0#3 date=1218541213
    I have a Sunbeam EM4800c and EM450 grinder......Id be interested in how long your shot took to pour.....I keep getting gushers!
    I have a similar combo with the EM3600 and EM0480 grinder.

I found the best thing I did was to go and get the krups non pressurised basket for it. I found I had almost 0 control and like you said no matter how well I tamped it was either a gusher or a blocked machine. Now the range is much larger and if its choking or gushing, well thats my fault and I can fix it :)

You already have a reasonable grinder (same as mine really) so nothing much to say there. I had a cheap mill grinder and again this change was worth every penny.

Anyway, I definitely recommend getting the krups basket (do a search in the under $500 forum) and then learning how to grind, tamp and correct properly.

:)

I just poured my first God Shot with my EM4800/EM0480 today too. Its nice to be able to do it with about $360 worth of gear and some modifications.

Ive done the Krups Filter and gasket but it never seemed to work - either gushing or choking and spraying grounds all over my cup - very frustrating. Despite that I though I was getting some good coffee. At least it was better than most chain coffee places... not quite as good as GJs (or anything from Lygon st) but better than Starbucks and Coffee Club which I know isnt hard.

After getting fed up with sprayed coffee grounds (id over-tamp and grind fine because the gushing shots didnt taste as good) I bought a bunch of silicone funnels from the REject shop and cut a slightly off-centre hole in one, stuck my group handle through it and, voila, what I thought was a nice little spray blocker.

Now Im not sure what happened... (I also gave my machine a good clean and a descale) possibly the tension of the silicone re-inforcing the seal, enabling more pressure, but the shot was unbelievable.

All the things that you read about: slow, even extraction (still quicker than ideal - about 20 seconds) tiger-striping, honey consistency.

AND the crema! There was a huge amount of it! (initially something like a 3 to 1 crema / coffee ratio) And it was gorgeously speckled, and, most importantly the best shot of coffee I have ever tasted, anywhere.

Im pretty sure its the silicone funnel seal, cos I never got anything like it even when Id just changed the gasket and basket.

If anyone is keen to see some photos I can post some in a few days.

Well done...great to hear!
    Im very interested in your modifications - looking forward to seeing some pics (I have a EM4800C & EM0450).