Thread: Cafe Roma replacement

Cafe Roma replacement

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Ive had a cafe roma for 6 years and am looking at upgrading. *Chief requirements on the replacement are:

• The double portafilter basket doesnt hold enough coffee for a decent strength coffee. *I usually order double-shot flat whites from coffee shops and want to be able to make nice strong coffees at home too
    • It doesnt make very good microfoam
    • The steamer keeps getting blocked even after proper decalcification

I went down to good guys and the only machine that had a decent sized filter basket was the Sumbeam EM6910, but at that price I think I would spend the extra on a Silvia.

I notice that some people were buying bottomless portafilters for the EM6910. *What is the purpose of this thing? *I assume it is so you can put a bigger basket in it. *Is there some option for a cheaper machine to get a bigger basket and therefore more coffee into a shot?

I quite like the Breville 800ES and the price is about what I can justify, but the filter basket isnt much bigger than my Cafe Roma. *So where to now?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jeremy.

Re: Cafe Roma replacement

Hi Jeremy.

Yeah - I remember using a cafe roma years ago and, well, it wasnt an impressive machine.

If you are after strong coffee, as in seriously strong coffee, I suspect that youll have difficulty finding an inexpensive machine with a portafilter than can handle huge baskets.
    Your best bet is probably to do two shots.
    Having said that, I too like strong coffee (hate a cap where you can actually taste the milk over the coffee) and have recently purchased an 800ES (see thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1218887224) which produces excellent strength coffee even with the factory pressurised basket.
    If you upgrade to the non-pressurised basket, its even better!

The 800ES is a very impressive machine for the price.

I have a Cafe Roma, and like you, I needed an upgrade badly. After watching the documentary on coffee last night on SBS, I decided to upgrade. I almost bought a Silvia, but stumbled across the Presso, and thought - why not? So I did - a few minutes ago. Im pretty excited I can tell you.

Look at the videos on youtube showing the presso.

I also bought a pullman tamper, which he makes to fit the presso.

All up - together they were around $360.00 delivered. Ill let you know when I get them...

Gday DV....

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Youre well and truly started along the journey to coffee nirvana now mate; no going back ;) Probably the only other thing worth getting (and absolutely essential) is a decent grinder, if you dont already have one. Basically its ideal to get the best grinder that you can afford and if it is one of the so-called "Prosumer" models, then it would last you an entire lifetime. Some great info on grinders can be found here... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1194680556

By the way, any chance of reducing the image size in your Avatar? The ideal size is 80 x 100 pixels and at the moment the forum software is reducing it down from about a 1.5MB image each time someone loads the page into a browser. If youre not sure how to do this, these links might be helpful to you... *:)
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1187136315
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1191411894

All the best mate and keep in touch with the progress of your journey... [smiley=laugh.gif]

Cheers,
    Mal.

Thanks Mal,

I think I fixed the Avatar problem...

Fortunately I already have a Rancilio Rocky Doserless grinder - a wedding present (the best one we got...)

After reading some of the posts here, Im a little worried about the Pressos fragility. I suspect some people are using a bit too much brute force on it though.

It also seems you have to first heat up the PF in some boiled water or over some steam in order to get the best temperature. Im looking forward to doing some experimenting.

Ahh - the cafe roma. I, also, have one of these machines and to be frank found I got much better coffee out of a plunger. Although I suppose the machine does offer some sort of espresso like liquid (from its pressurised basket) and a degree of warm aerated milk (with the provided "froth enhancer") but most importantly the desire to get something better.

I have been considering getting a Silvia but Im not sure I want to deal with the fun and games of temperature surfing, and question if I am not better off getting a slightly more expensive machine rather than PIDing a Silvia.

Let the deliberation continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader link=1219444432/0#4 date=1220137697
    I think I fixed the Avatar problem...
    Thanks mate... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader link=1219444432/0#4 date=1220137697
    Fortunately I already have a Rancilio Rocky Doserless grinder - a wedding present (the best one we got...)
    Ahh, no worries.... The Rocky will serve you well 8-)

I think there are a couple of threads that concentrate on the Presso so if you do a bit of a search for them, Im sure youll be rewarded. All the best... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by danielm link=1219444432/0#5 date=1220153368
    I have been considering getting a Silvia but Im not sure I want to deal with the fun and games of temperature surfing, and question if I am not better off getting a slightly more expensive machine rather than PIDing a Silvia.
    My thoughts exactly. Ill keep you posted on my Presso experience...

Hi Jeremy, and welcome to CoffeeSnobs!

After getting 6 years out of a Cafe Roma (which Ive also owned briefly and upgraded from to my current setup), I reckon its definitely time to suggest you upgrade from a pressurised to an unpressurised basket machine. Youll be amazed at the difference in the flavour of your coffee.

A bottomless portafilter is extremely useful for analysing the pour, and consequently to make changes in your dose/distribution/tamping technique to refine the flavour of your coffee to ensure its the best it can be.

You can also fit a triple basket in a bottomless portafilter. The 58mm diameter Vibiemme double basket I have can take grammage from double to nearly triple shots anyway, so my triple Ive rarely used.