Thread: first shot with nonpressurised basket on em5600

first shot with nonpressurised basket on em5600

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    after purchasing an em5600 four weeks ago, i then did some research, found this site and discovered the difference between pressurised and non-pressurised baskets.

after receiving my krups double basket (lightning delivery time - thanks groupseb) and removing the crema enhancing plastic from the pf, i attempted my first real shot with the little machine.

with only 12 month old lao beans (souvenirs from a holiday) left in the house and a spice grinder, i managed an 18 second pour that created a bordering on bitter espresso with a mild crema. will purchase some locally roasted beans tomorrow to give things a proper go, but the most rewarding part of the experience was... the puck!

I hadnt actually seen a puck before with the pressurised basket . now, its one tap on the knockbox and out it falls. simple. brilliant. im starting to understand upgradeitis.

and must say this is an excellent forum. thank you all for your advice so far.

Re: first shot with nonpressurised basket on em560

Great to see you on CS pequod, of course you realise that you have started your journey into upgraditis, the yearning for that better shot, sparkling equipment, roasting your own beans etc etc etc, its a wonderful obsession, welcome to the club!!!!.................................. gm

Hi,

After my beloved machine packed it in recently Im looking to replace.

The choice magazine comparison is rather confusing by my experience - it rates the 6910 quite low in terms of taste, and the E5600 the second highest. Although Ive never tried the 6910, a friend rated it quite high.
    Another friend of mine bought a E5600 and I cant get it to produce a decent coffee, it just seems to have too MUCH pressure, and making the grind finer to the point of it stopping doesnt seem to help. I suspected it was faulty but Im not really sure.

Im curious to know how your unpressurised basket is going after another week and if its worth getting the 5600, or if I should just splash out and get the 6910 (the other candidate Im considering is the 800ES).

Coffee taste is basically my only criteria.

Sk

I owned and still do own an EM4800C and I used unpressurised baskets with it and produced reasonable coffee which was better than you could buy in a shop. However I upgraded to an EM6910 because I was unable to save enough for a HX machine. I found the difference in taste between the EM4800C and EM6910 was again another quantum leap. I have no experience with the machines you were mentioning but I would recommend getting the best grinder you can and a machine you can afford which will allow you to save for the better machine and still drink reasonable coffee. Apparently there are some good deals around on the 6910 which put it close to the 800ES and the EM5600

Also fresh roasted beans are a must. You only get the best taste fro the best ingredients. ;)

Skinner
    i feel im going really well a week afterwards. after getting the nonpf basket and removing the plastic from the pf I took the next step and purchased an em0450 grinder, and while im still fiddling with grind size (between 14-16) im able to get reasonably long pours that produce drinks i find tasty. im not getting the mello sweetness of my local cafes, but hey, so far ive invested about $400

sadly i cant recommend other machines as ive not used them. i can only say im happy with my current setup - im enjoying working on my grind/dose/tamp.

prevailing wisdom on this forum seems to be grinder first, machine 2nd, and the choice article was not necessarily aimed at the coffee snob, which im certainly not. yet.

thank you greenman - i did buy a tamper this week too :)

Quick update, even tho its off topic.
    Ended up buying the 6910 - couldnt go past $540 with the free grinder (Good Guys, and barely a hint of a haggle). Its a far cry from the $250ish i was looking at spending on the EM5600, but what the hell, weve all got to have [expensive] hobbies. Unfortunately some of us have more than one!

Producing OK coffee with the 3wk old stuff I had in the cupboard after just returning from O/S, but not as good as my now-dead Krups yet (laugh if you will, but he punched well above his weight). I believe the problem is with the Delonghi KG100 grinder I have, which suited the Krups fine, but the 6910 seems to have a bit more punch (even tho they both claim 15bar). It will have to do on its finest setting and a superhuman double-tamp until the 0480 grinder turns up!

Would have liked the Silvia, but not just yet... maybe in 12 months + 1 day when the 6910 packs it in ;)

Thanks CS for enlightening me on the ways of the home machine (Id never even heard of a pressurised basket until signing up here!).

Sk

Welcome Skinner....

I think you got a great deal there mate and once you get the grinder and obtain some freshly roasted high quality beans, about the only thing left for you to do would be to attend the Sunbeam Free Training Course and you should be.... Smokin [smiley=evil.gif] 8-)

Mal.

Yeah Im pretty happy with it and the machine, while not spectacular, is certainly a cut above my baby Krups (or Frtiz as I liked to call him). Whether it lasts 4 years like Fritz though remains to be seen!

Fresh beans are not as easy for me to come by here in Canberra. In Sydney I used to drop by Tobys regularly, but I never seem to get time here to get the good stuff. Ive tried a couple of the Jindebah which werent bad and the Cosmorex Guatemalan which was so-so (but that was more about my taste than the quality of the bean), but so far Ive not had anything to touch the Tobys PNG or Kenyan, which both appear in my top five. Going to try the Cosmorex Kenyan on the weekend if I get there before they close.

I did the Epic (Perth) training last year which was nice to play on their machines, and I dont know that itd be worth going up to Sydney to do the Sunbeam course. Who knows, if im up there... I know what Im aiming for, I think just getting to know the machine will take a little time... Unlike when I started out with my old machine and DIDNT know what I was doing... it took many months for me to discover all the tricks and aiming points that I probably could have learned in an evening reading CS or a day doing a course :)

I believe producing good coffee is as much about experience as anything else. Ive seen some shocking cups made with decent beans and top-notch equipment (randomly pick a cafe in Canberra and theres a fair bet itd match that description :) )

Sk

I take it you are waitihng for the grinder to arrive. Once you get it dialled in you will find the 6910 produces good espresso (I cant comment on how good compared to the $2000 plus machines) but it will be better than any you can get in a cafe.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey (It is an expensive hobby but then I also fish as well and own a boat so the money spent of coffee pales into insignificance. ;D ;D ;D)

Stan

Yeah still waiting for the grinder. With newer beans my Delonghi grinder is doing ok for the moment though, so Im happy.

Following on from this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1214883549 and back on topic, on the weekend I picked up the breville ESP4/51 ("1-2 cup") and an 800ES/192 seal and stuck them in my mates 2 month old EM5600 (the "2-4 cup" ESP4/78 basket is on order). Wow, what a difference. For a machine that I had previously thought was faulty (before I knew what a pressurised basket was) its now producing passable coffee - and the beans were a month old (not that he would note the difference yet, half the time he microwaves his milk!).

With the ESP4/51 basket there was leakage around the group when used with the old seal. Interestingly, upon removing it I could not discern any difference between the stock EM5600 seal and Breville 800ES/192 seal, however after inserting the Breville one there was no more leakage and some nice long pours were achieved.

Surprisingly, the double filter basket from my old Krups machine didnt quite fit, although there would only have been 1mm in it, so it seems the "Krups basket" always referred to on this forum is not a standard size across their range (mine is about 4yrs old).

Sk