Thread: Ikon - Just starting out.

Ikon - Just starting out.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I bought dh an Ikon/grinder for Fathers Day and have had no problems so far with using the machine.

Im interested in what cleaning solutions people use and where they buy them from to do a detergent wash weekly/ or whatever. I have been doing a hot water flush after each session and cleaning it as well as possible.

I have had a little experience with espresso machines. It seems every job I started out in, the bosses all wanted me to make them endless mugs of cappuccino, but I dont have the knowledge that you guys have.

Where would I get a Krups non-pressurised basket (right word?) in Brisbane? Searches for a local Krups repair centre havent been fruitful. The grinder that came with the Ikon is doing alright, but the tamper is rubbish.

And, the freshest coffee beans that I could find, arent so fresh. *:(

So, Im hoping to use my cast iron pan and maybe roast a small batch of beans as I find that kind of thing relaxing - as long as the kids are asleep.

I got so sick of instant coffee and Im sure dh feels the same, although he says that what Im doing now is the freshest it can get, thanks to you guys, I know it can only get better.

I plan to order the Krups basket, send it off to get a proper tamper, and buy some green beans.

Any help with cleaning solutions and where to source the basket is Brizzie would be great. Thanks.

Re: Ikon - Just starting out.

Theres a thread somewhere on here saying the Breville Bar Italia basket fits the Ikon (unpressurised). So if you have trouble finding a Krups that might be an easier option.

If you go to the Breville Support Page (http://www.breville.com.au/care_agentsearch.asp?type=parts) and punch in your location youll get a few repair centres (not sure where in Brisbane you are but there seem to be a few there). Prices can vary - my local service centre wanted $18 for a single unpressurised basket.

Good choice with the Ikon - I just bought one also. Gave it its first full clean yesterday and its quite easy to keep clean. And yes, I agree, the tamper is terrible.

Thanks, Mr. Poppy for the reply.

I will check out the Bar Italia for a basket. Havent rung a local service centre yet, as I tried about 5 times but they were busy.

I found a specialty roaster today in South East Brisbane and they had a wall of coffee with all different types, a huge roaster out the front and some good food. I tried one of the beans when I came home, and even with a pressurised basket, it tasted great. The colour and texture of the coffee was a lot different, golder, thicker and with a tint of red.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Rush link=1220824186/0#2 date=1221122094
    I found a specialty roaster today in South East Brisbane and they had a wall of coffee with all different types, a huge roaster out the front and some good food. I tried one of the beans when I came home, and even with a pressurised basket, it tasted great. The colour and texture of the coffee was a lot different, golder, thicker and with a tint of red.
    Great news Rush.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thats what it is all about and what we try to convey at every opportunity, great coffee is only possible when high quality, freshly roasted beans are used and then ground only immediately before brewing. Excellent mate.... 8-)

Mal.

GDay Rush

Yep the Ikon is a pretty good machine. *Ive had mine for a year & it has serviced me well. *

Having a decent tamper really helps your shots, so my suggestion is to look around for a better quality tamper if affordable. *When you get an unpressurised basket (thats a must), take it with you to look for a tamper (around 49mm for the Ikon), otherwise you can do what I did & for a few bucks more, send your new basket to Pullman Tampers for an exact fit, I did & havnt regretted it *;D

With the un-pressurised baskets, there is a Krups double basket that fits very well too! *I got mine for around $10. *I wouldnt bother with a single basket...the shots it produced were not all that great *:-[

The next step would be a grinder upgrade, but let yourself get to know your machine & explore the endless possibilities down the track *8-)

Warm Regards
    Andrew

Sorry Rush

I just realised youve already been trying to get the Krups basket... :P

Warm Regards
    Andrew

nBC

ive played a bit with tampers for the krups and breville esp2 double baskets and reckon your safe up to 50.4mm for the krups and 51 for the bar italia. ;).....................well mine were 8-)