Thread: wheres my crema? D:

wheres my crema? D:

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    so i got my cafe roma just this tuesday and im having a little trouble.

it has pressurised filter baskets so it should be making tons of crema [im aware of the fact that its not REALLY crema]

but my machine isnt making much crema at all. it just sort of makes some around the edges with lots of bubbles, or it makes a very thin and weak and slightly blond crema. i think it might be to do with my tamp but im not really sure.

i know itd be ideal to get the non pressurised baskets but i cant get those just yet. im interested to know why my pressurised baskets arent working properly.

can someone let me know how to pull a decent shot with crema from this machine with the pressurised baskets?

i want my fake crema D:

oh& im using cheap preground espresso from the supermarket to practice. i know this kind of coffee wouldnt get much crema on a normal portafilter, but hence the pressurised, it should be doing something.

oro

Re: wheres my crema? D:

Hi amy arabica

I dont have the same machine, but Im a pressurized basket/supermarket pregrind user too. *Ive noticed a big change in crema depending on the pregrind - freshly open packets give a decent result, totally stale gives next to nothing. *Try changing your brand of pregrind. *Make sure that the brand/grind youre using is designed for home espresso machines, not just labelled espresso - some arent and are better suited to plunger. *I played around with a few brands and settled on vittoria oro as one that will give a decent, consistent result (although as always with the supermarket stuff, some batches can be dodgy). *

Tamp could also be the issue - it has to be firm enough to not allow any channelling.

Could also be a heat issue - make sure you warm up the PF/basket with the machine, AND your cups. *All makes a difference in my experience to the quality of the shot you get from pregrind.

hope that helps *:)

Belinda

Hi Amy,

huge difference between fresh and stupormarket in the Crema department. I started out with pressurised baskets and stale (home ground) beans initially. If you can grab fresh roasted and ground at the same place in Melbourne, depending on where you are there is plenty of roasters and that will help a lot.

The Brown beans here are really good but you would need to buy a 2-3kg to make it worth posting and that is to much if preground :(

A good thing to do eventually to save some $$ is buy green beans when you get a grinder and the cost/250g drops to $3 instead of $8-9.

You could try using this as a sales pitch with your parents and tell them they would be saving money ;)

Hi Amy, I used to own a Cafe Roma (still do - its in the garage). I tried about 20 kinds of supermarket style pre-ground, but only one version had the right grind size for the CR basket to produce the best fake crema.

I would highly, highly recommend you find a local roaster. Take in your basket with you. Ask them to grind coffee that would approximately suit it. Ask them exactly what grind setting their grinder is on. Go home and test it in your machine. Play around with increasing your tamping weight to see if you can tweak the length of time for your shot a little. Go visit the roaster again and ask them to grind slightly finer/coarser depending on what you think you need. They understand people are passionate about coffee - its what they are passionate about too.

Its the best you can do without buying your own quality prosumer grinder. Check out some of StuartGrants threads here on CS - hes got a Cafe Roma and has done some excellent work in his experimenting that youll learn a lot from.

okay so ive been experimenting a lot. ive been using ground espresso from gloria jeans and ive found that even though in the users manual and on various websites it says not to tamp too hard. that if i tamp really firmly (idk how many kg it would be, probably not many because im a weedy anorexic) i get better crema, a lot thicker, stronger and a more red colour

ithink for christmas (or whenever i find enough money) ill get a decnt grinder and have fresh grounds. im pretty sure freshness is what is missing in my equation here yeah?

Yeah.