Thread: Cafe Roma Unpressurised Baskets

Cafe Roma Unpressurised Baskets

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I am in New Zealand and it is not so easy to get Breville spare parts.

I have a Cafe Roma and want to get some unpressurised baskets. Can someone point me in the direction of options? I tried a search but got a jumble of results.

This is what I found I can use:
    - the original basket with the floor drilled/ground out (see this thread),
    - the older Breville baskets [part #ESP4/51 or ESP2/41],
    - a Krups one [part #0907163 for the basket, #620342 for the seal].

So Im not going to be drilling, but I think I might be able to buy a Breville Basket from the ESP4/2 if I can convince someone selling the machine, to just sell me the basket...

Does anyone know if my pressurised double basket will work with the ESP4/2 if the owner decides they only want to "swap" baskets?

I presume that I will have no further use for my pressurised basket.

Also does anyone know what Krups models are suitable if I couldnt get a Breville Bar Italia basket?

And are there any other things to consider? Thanks.

Re: Cafe Roma Unpressurised Baskets

Btw, what should the puck look like in an unpressurised basket?

I had the same issue as you, trying to get unpressurised baskets in christchurch (posted in http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1225524793).

I got in touch with the local service agents to get an ESP4/51, and they all were out of stock, and breville told them it would take 5 weeks to order one, which is silly. *I ended up getting a 2nd hand Krups vivo off some guy on trademe ($10 local pickup), and the basket works perfectly. *Apparently the machine still goes so I might order the breville basket anyway and give the Krups machine to someone else, but i have the basket for $10 in the meantime with no waiting.

Id recommend trawling trademe for a similar deal, the ESP2 machines seem to go cheap though I believe the ESP4 basket is possibly better. Just make damn sure they come with the right basket.

Edit: RE ESPx working with the pressurised baskets, I dont think they will. The Cafe Roma is a pump machine with higher pressure than the Bar Italia.

Quote Originally Posted by tashie link=1226278400/0#1 date=1226967523
    Btw, what should the puck look like in an unpressurised basket?
    Probably the same as for non pressurised,
    Wet pucks are often more to do with whether the machine has a three way valve.
    Machines without three way valves cannot vent away the water remaining on top of the puck, so they tend to be a bit soggy.

I disagree.
    I think pressurised baskets leave pucks wet.
    The 6910 has a 3 way does it not?
    At work those who use the pressurised baskets struggle to dislodge the puck from the basket.
    I think this is because its still a bit wet and sticks to the basket.

The unpressurised basket knocks out cleanly and very easily.
    I put this down to the extra holes not allowing any vacuum to form and a drier puck.

I agree partly with TG -- I find that with the unpressurised Bar Italia baskets in my 800ES, the puck knocks out easily, while the pressurised baskets require scooping/scraping. I think this is partly because of the lack of vacuum between the puck and the basket, but also partly down to the different basket shape (the bar italia baskets angle in at the base, while the original ones are straight-sided) and the relative age of the baskets (the bar italia one I have is brand new and very smooth and shiny; the originals are a couple of years old and more "grippy")

In both cases, though, I get wet pucks.

I started up my Cafe Roma again, and after reading stuff here I realised I needed an unpressurised basket. Quick call to the local Breville distributor (Adelaide Service Centre 82621755 if anyone is interested) and asked for a ESP4/51. They didnt have one on hand, but said theyd be able to get one for me. 2 1/2 hours later I gave them $12 and had it in my hand. Now to test this bad mofo out with my new grinder (Sunbeam conical burr Cafe Series)

ahmadnz, pm me with your address and Ill post you mine (the Breville unpressurised) which was only used for a session.

Beware: a fine grind that suits a higher-end machine can cause explosions of coffee grounds from the Roma, so start slightly coarser and work your way finer.

Doug81: Thanks for the information... this is exactly what I was looking for after getting a surprise gift of a Cafe Roma for Xmas.

Hi!

I just ordered the ESP4/51 direct from Breville (call 1300 139 798 in Australia, 0800 273 845 in NZ) and it cost me $19.15 shipped to Adelaide. The part only cost $9.15 + $10 shipping.

Hope that helps!

Hi,
    I bought a non-pressuried Breville ESP4/51 which worked fine on my 6 year old Sunbeam EM4800, before I sold the Sunbeam.
    I have a Breville Bar Roma ESP8C at work, it leaks from everywhere around the ESP4/51 filter basket no matter how much I tighten the group handle. I installed a new group seal two weeks ago. Still no go.
    The original Breville pressurised basket works fine without leaking.
    Has anyone had the same problem?

Hi CSs,
    Phil, at least you have 1 working basket.
    My Cafe Roma has started the same blowout habit.
    It had been no trouble until a month ago, then:
    I havent been able to pull a shot without a blowout.
    I have been switching on/off/on/off/etc. to get the volume through.
    Attempted fixes:
    Replaced the "steam ring" Breville call it - no improvement.
    Converted the basket to unpressurised by drilling out basket exit hole - no improvement (I thought grinds may be backing up in the exit hole and contributing to the problem and wasnt game to try the ESP4/51 basket thing)
    I may be compulsively putting too much coffee into basket (Ill try and watch myself from a discrete distance but I dont think so)
    Im wondering if the Krups group seal (steam ring) may help?
    To make matters more critical my work machine has just split its group seal.
    I realy cant cope.
    Im ready to try silicone sealer, thats how desperate I am.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

Replace the group seal, but as was mentioned before make sure your grind isnt too fine.
    These machines dont have the 3 way valve like others. So if its too fine, you get no coffee coming out, and the pressure keeps building up.
    I made the mistake of taking off the handle after it did that to me. Coffee and hot water everywhere!

Hi CSrs,
    Breakthrough!!!!
    A coffee at least satisfactory to my own "ignorance is bliss standard".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A2F282235273F3427460 link=1226278400/11#11 date=1242226278
    I havent been able to pull a shot without a blowout.
    Replaced the "steam ring" Breville call it - no improvement.
    Converted the basket to unpressurised by drilling out basket exit hole *- no improvement
    Im wondering if the Krups group seal (steam ring) may help?
    Im ready to try silicone sealer, thats how desperate I am.
    I think the seals design is not quite good enough for dealing with the pressure the pump dishes out.
    Yes desperation reached actual USE of silicone sealer and it worked!

The fix that worked for me was:

Disassembled the shower screen, steam ring (group seal) and separated them.
    Removed a small amount of metal from the shower screen where the mounting screw goes through (so the shower screen could be screwed down tighter onto the group head).
    Applied a modest bead of silicone sealer all the way around the groove where the shower screen fits, and reassembled the seal and shower screen.
    Applied more sealer where coverage was inadequate, wiped away any excess and reassembled shower screen and seal into the group head and loosely tightened the mounting screw to just contact the shower screen (no pressure).
    I put the machine away for half of a day (to reflect on how it had been treating me and the possible consequences of continued non-cooperation).
    Switched the machine on and after a longer than usual warm up I pulled a shot, no problem, and it was good.
    Tried again over the next several days, no problems. crossed my fingers. touched wood. gave thanks to the coffee god and prayed for the long life of my coffee machine.

Hope this post may help one of my brothers (or sisters)
    Kind Regards
    Lindsay

Bad news CSrs,

The breakthrough if not dead is not 100% well.
    Yes the first few shots post silicone sealent were fine then the odd shot blew out before long blow outs were a habit again.
    Answer more agressive silicone sealer, again good for a while now the odd blow out, where to from here?
    Any suggestions?

The group head collar might be cracked, which is common. I had my Sunbeam one replaced, but its still giving me grief. Definitely try not to over fill the basket, and play with the grind. However I actually think these sub $200 machines are a bit under spec. I would recommend anyone on a budget to get a $150 Ikon from a Breville factory outlet now.

Did everyone find that they got longer extraction times using an unpressurized basket.

I have an ESP6 and was going to try the Krups unpressurized basket to get a longer/slower extraction

Quote Originally Posted by 6D797C7B7E4A7B6F150 link=1226278400/16#16 date=1286480890
    Did everyone find that they got longer extraction times using an unpressurized basket.

I have an ESP6 and was going to try the Krups unpressurized basket to get a longer/slower extraction
    I think this would be unlikely. The pressurised baskets SLOW the extraction by providing a resistance to the extraction.

The usual way of slowing the extraction is to grind finer, or dose higher, or tamp harder (may not make much difference).

An unpressurised basket is *capable* of better coffee however.

Greg

Non pressurised basket for Breville cafe roma

I have read a few threads here on this subject and it is comforting to say the least to know that it is the machine, not me, that is causing the issues that I have. It is also good to know that I am not the only one that this is happening to.
    I am struggling though in making sense on getting a non pressurised basket. The breville one apparently leaks. Is there any other that fits and is there any of our sponsors that supply them.
    Cheers!!

I have just been onto Breville who told me that they dont do an non pressurised basket for the Cafe Roma and the ESP4/51 is dual wall not single. How confusing. They stated that they were 99.9% sure that they were correct however took my name and number to make sure and will get back to me. So what size bit did everyone use to drill out the basket and did they drill out all the holes or just some.

Quote Originally Posted by 65646F6B6E6B730A0 link=1226278400/18#18 date=1290476587
    I have just been onto Breville who told me that they dont do an non pressurised basket for the Cafe Roma and theESP4/51 is dual wall not single. How confusing. They stated that they were 99.9% sure that they were correct however took my name and number to make sure and will get back to me.
    Bloody idiots!!!

I have in front of me a receipt for the ESP4/51 that I bought as a gift for a friend of mine a few months ago from the nearest Breville Factory Outlet.

It was definitely SINGLE WALLED; why else would I buy it?

Dont believe me?
    Search CS; youll find 2 0r 3 other threads saying the same thing.

Why am I still unemployed when there are people out there that dont know what theyre doing? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 3509140F050413060E05610 link=1226278400/19#19 date=1290479655
    Quote Originally Posted by 65646F6B6E6B730A0 link=1226278400/18#18 date=1290476587
    I have just been onto Breville who told me that they dont do an non pressurised basket for the Cafe Roma and theESP4/51 is dual wall not single. How confusing. They stated that they were 99.9% sure that they were correct however took my name and number to make sure and will get back to me. *
    Bloody idiots!!!

I have in front of me a receipt for the ESP4/51 that *I bought as a gift for a friend of mine a few months ago from the nearest Breville Factory Outlet.

It was definitely SINGLE WALLED; why else would I buy it?

Dont believe me?
    Search CS; youll find 2 0r 3 other threads saying the same thing.

Why am I still unemployed when there are people out there that dont know what theyre doing? *:-?
    Oh i beleive it is single wall but will it fit a Cafe Roma?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5A515550554D340 link=1226278400/21#21 date=1290586360
    Oh i beleive it is single wall but will it fit a Cafe Roma?
    yep - thats my setup

OK Back to Breville again. I love their "product Knowledge" eh?

Is this the single wall 2 cup for the 800 series? I bought one for my Cafe Roma and it was a nightmare to fit, though after a lot of panel beating and a lot of cutting, I got the setup working.

I too am struggling to get a single wall filter out of Breville. Ive now called twice and spoken to 2 different people. I have an ESP8B Cafe Roma. I already have a single cup SWF which I purchased on ebay through a site sponsor, however Im struggling to find a 2 cup version.

The lady I spoke to at Breville today assured me, (and she went and spoke to a highly experienced coffee machine person) that the single wall filter set is only compatible with 800 series machines, and there isnt one for the Cafe Roma. The previous time I called however, they advised that they did have Cafe Roma SWFs, though they required me to confirm the model number for compatibility (which I didnt have on me at the time).

By coincidence, the ebay single cup version I purchased looks suspiciously similar to the single cup item pictured here at Breville USA:

http://www.brevilleusa.com/single-wall-filters.html

Unfortunately this model number corresponds to an electric blanket in the Australian system. I just read on here about the ESP4/51, which I havent tried to obtain over the phone, but I cant see listed on the website, so not sure Ill bother.

Maybe there is a secret codeword or handshake I need in order to obtain one of these?

I can assure you that what Breville told you is a load of rubbish, it will definitely fit. I have a Subeam EM5900, and I use the Breville single walls, which fit perfectly. I also hung onto a pair of old dual wall baskets from my dads ESP4 when it stopped working and I chucked it, and they fit in my EM5900 perfectly too. The single wall filters will definitely fit.
    Not sure if you can get them through Breville in NZ, but I got them from Breville in Australia, so you can try calling them. They may charge you extra postage though.
    Call them and ask for part number BSWF100. Say its for your 800ES. I must have got lucky when I ordered mine, cause they didnt ask what machine I had, but if they do ask you, say 800ES. If they ask for any more info just act vague, say youre not at home atm so not sure, but your machine is definately the 800ES.
    Im not a fan of lying, but if its the only way they will sell you a part that will definitely fit in your machine, then so be it.

Just found this link when doing a google search on BSWF100...
    http://www.juiceville.com.au/care_detail.asp?prod=581
    The Breville website says its suitable for the ESP8C, which is the newer version of the ESP4, but exact same dimensions.

Sorry, mistake. The ESP6, not the ESP4 was the predecessor to the ESP8.
    The pressurized baskets from dads old machine was the ESP6. However, I have still read on the forum that people say the BSWF100s do fit the ESP4. A search should find some posts.

hey guys
    harvey norman can order them in. just tell them its a product and not a spare part. product number bswf100 and it will fit all current breville machines except the 860

I can confirm the existence of this elusive Breville basket (thanks Baz :)) The Breville single wall basket fits my Sunbeam 5600 too which is good news for all those 53mm portafilter owners out there.

Before getting the Breville basket, I cut the bottoms off a few Sunbeam ones, which is also an excellent solution. I did find the Breville basket had more holes that were finer which gave a freer flowing extraction (from my observation), but otherwise was pretty comparable to a converted basket.

If anyone is interested, heres the full video of me converting a pressurised basket. I found a dremmel tool ($80 Mitre 10) that came with some little wee cutting discs does the job really well, and in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvjkYezjAsY

Bit of a long shot but any chance anyone has an old ESP4/51 they don't use anymore? I picked up a Cafe Roma (ESP8C/A) a few months ago and just looking into going single wall now.

I've contacted Breville and they've told me the only one compatible with the Cafe Roma is a KES110/51, which I haven't come across anywhere! Looks like a Kambrook one?