Thread: Which machine?

Which machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im in the market for a new machine. Im hoping that this will last me years as opposed to only a year or two like my last one which was a SXCD Electra.

I was looking at a

1) Isomac La Mondiale

or stretching myself upto

2) GS3
    3) or a 1 group Cyncra

I know they a 3 completely different machines however I would hope that this next machine lasts me years and years.

Is there a big difference between the GS3 and the Synnesso?

Re: Which machine?

Hmm ...

Its hard to describe the difference between using 1 and 2 or 3, but, in a nutshell, machines 2 and 3 will make 1 feel like a toy. Obviously, changing the brew temperature to suit a given blend is a lot more difficult on the mondiale than it is on the dual boilers.

You probably wouldnt lose out on that much by going for a Synesso instead of a GS3, especially with the changes to the latest model of Synesso, but I would still go for the GS3 over the Synesso. It is a lot smaller, you can run it off the built-in tank, it seemed to me to be more responsive to temperature changes and it wouldnt surprise me ... big call ... if my opinion after more in-depth use of the GS3 is that it makes better shots than the Synesso, period. Also, gossip is that the reason why LM have been slow in releasing the paddle group for the GS3 (and other machines) is that they have been working on multiple versions of it and I have heard that at least one version - hopefully the one that they have released/are releasing - is better than the Synesso paddle group in that it allows you to muck around with the pressure profile of the shot. Most of the complaints about the GS3 seem to be about fit and finish, but, IMHO, Synesso fit and finish is just as bad, if not worse ... Im yet to hear of anyone who has cut themselves on a GS3! The only way in which I can think that the Synesso is the better machine for home use is that the big paddle is easier to engage than the smaller GS3 button ... thats it. Now, you asked if the difference between the two is big. I suppose that thats relative, to some extent, but I think that the GS3 is currently cheaper than the single group Synesso, so I think that you would need a compelling reason to pay more for what is, IMHO, a machine less well-suited to home use.

I suppose that I should mention that whilst I would expect the GS3 and Synesso to go the distance, I am not aware of any machine that will last more than a few years without being serviced and having parts replaced.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Thanks for the reply Luca

I will go with a GS3 in the new year.

Good choice Mr Spanky! Out of interest, what grinder are you pairing it up with?

Cheers,

YeeZa

I have a Mini Mazza ATM with my Elektra Semiautomatica.. but Ill keep the Mazza and upgrade to the GS3

I wonder if Pedro will take Fine Art as a trade or payment for a GS3
    See my Avatar <<<<<<<<<

KK

Ok an update.. have sold my old machine but cannot afford the Synesso and the GS3 is too technical for me..

I want something reliable.. looks nice.. and goes around the 2 - 4k tops and is manual.

Can anybody comment on the following in regards to quality and serviceability:

LaCimbali Junior
    Isomac Mondiale
    Domobar Super

Happy for other suggestions as well

Cheers... Spanks

Dont forget the Diadema range Spanky... ;)

Give Attilio a call at CosmoreX, they have some beautiful machines at this level 8-)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E114D3013020D08061A630 link=1229249710/6#6 date=1245505888
    Happy for other suggestions as well
    Hi Spanky

I can only comment on the machine I now use and love and thats the Bezzera Galatea
    Its a well built machine that makes great coffee ;)

KK

Hi,

I would normally suggest that you check out the Giotto Premium Plus, and the VBM Domobar, but you sold your old machine without talking to me, so Im not talking to you.

Hi Spankey

Just a quick ?..... Why did u consider the GS3 too technical?

I just got one to replace my Wega commercial machine and have found it extremely easy to use. Could i do more with it - absolutely but am i making great coffee repeatedly and easily.

regards paul

Quote Originally Posted by 417E225F7C6D626769750C0 link=1229249710/6#6 date=1245505888
    goes around the 2 - 4k tops
    Counts out the GS3 by just a bit. ;D :D

Quote Originally Posted by 3D262F3B207D7D7B794E0 link=1229249710/9#9 date=1245582633
    but you sold your old machine without talking to me, so Im not talking to you.
    What the *???

Quote Originally Posted by 7E796B696B606B7C0E0 link=1229249710/10#10 date=1245643109
    Just a quick ?..... *Why did u consider the GS3 too technical?
    Hi Paul... ummm have been talking to Paolo about it and quite frankly it looks nice.. it actually looks $hit hot but my level of coffee making isnt at the technical level of adjusting "PID" and pre-infusion and paddles... Im no hack by any standards but Im honest in saying Im not too sure that Im ready to have a 7k+ machine and be able to utilise to its maximum... hope that makes sense.

If it were in the 4k or maybe 5k area I would learn real quick but at 7k+ my personal bang for buck ratio meter is flat lining.

The other thing that scares me because of the experience Ive just been through with my Elektra is servicing and after market stuff. I live in Perth and quite frankly there is squat here with exotic machines like that. Id have to buy it in the eastern states. It just cost me $160 a pop for freight and insurance for my elektra to NSW on two occasions and then pay $300+ for repairs and still the machine wasnt fixed... do you see where Im coming from???

I dont know what is available on the West Coast in the way of retailers, but I have seen threads here that talk about good service being available there.

Id be checking with the sponsors about that particular issue for the machines you are considering and including the answers in my decision-making process.

Good luck.

Greg

I might be a bit partial having just bought one of these but have you looked at the Dell Corte Mini or Super Mini?

Within your price range and a quality machine?
    If time is on your side ill let you know what they are like when mine arrives?

The Mini fits the price range but not the Super Mini. Mind you my quote from the importer was an email quote you may be able to finagle a better deal if you talked to them directly.