Thread: Suggestions on a 2 group commercial coffee machine

Suggestions on a 2 group commercial coffee machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

I am looking for suggestions on a 2 group commercial coffee machine within the $3-4k bracket. What would you suggest as a good 2 group commercial coffee machine?

Thanks.

Re: Suggestions on a 2 group commercial coffee mac

I really cant help on specifics except to say check evil bay as there seem to be a number of good looking two group machines there for much less than 3 - 4k

Grant

Hi Coffeecentral,

It also depends on the type of installation you have in mind...BIG kitchen, den, cafe, coffee cart? Some of these machines have external pumps, some internal....some of them require a high current installation..

As a general rule, stick to the big names (or the ones which have parts available)...For 3 -4 k you should be able to buy a machine only a few years old.

Another source is the liquidation auction, where a cafes entire equipment stock is sold...but be careful what you are buying.....some of these machines have had a hard life, and may require expensive repairs...

Talk to some of the folk on this forum who deal with large commercial machines...they should have some good advice.

Cheers...

Hey,
    For a while now Ive been using a Expobar Megacrem 2 Group in my cafe. I work in a gourmet roaster in Toowoomba and are the distributors of them in the area. They sell for $4125 with tax and are an excellent machine to work on. Just a single boiler hx machine but great ergonomics. I havent tested the temperature fluctuations on it during a shot, but from the taste of each espresso it seems to be quite good. Beautiful milk texturing. I think for the mula they are an excellent machine. They are spanish made. That would be my reccomendation from my experience, I have had some dealings with others in the same price range such as Boema and San Merino and then other more expensive types as the Synesso ECM and La Marzocco.

Just found a cafe in Colombo selling Tobys Est... using a 2grp Expobar MegaCrem.

What style of dosing are you going with?

Im finding that underdosing works best for the blend that is used.

Do find that it has really long pre-infusion times? Im getting around 8-10secs for an espresso... little longer for tighter/ristretto style shots.

p.s. noticed the date on the post... circa 2005... eeek!!!
    Im gonna start a new thread

How on earth did you manage to dig this one up, rice!?

Sorry scoots... I found the thread through google and didnt look at the date before hitting post. :-[ :-[ :-[

most noobish of me. :P

Talk to les at coffee roasters australia he has the expobars, if you can stretch your budget a little further the g10s are fantastic i got two earlier this year and theyre real workhorses they have an individual boiler with pid control on each group as well, great for if you want to run a couple of different blends that are good at different temps.

I dont want to buy a new machine... Just looking for any opinions from operators of the Expobar commercials.

There is a cafe here in Colombo using one and theyve been nice enough to allow me to play around with it. Im trying to find that magical sweet spot for the blend being used.
    Been extracting and tasting...extracting... tasting... more extracting. Ill get there.

Will contact les though, the barista here wants some smaller steam tips, new baskets etc.

Cheers for the replies.

I have an expobar 2 group elegance and love what it does for the bean.

give me a call if you wpuld like to discuss the machine and the way it performs

Craig.

Guys please note this topic is over 2 years old (November 2005).

Also please note the price bracket is not achievable. If you do find a NEW 2 grouper in this price bracket do take a really good look at it and you will probably find it is not a "real" 2 grouper but just a "pretender".

That would be a machine that is virtually a 2 group in name only but not in performance. You would be talking about a 2 group machine with a boiler the size not much bigger than that fitted to a commercial size 1 grouper, seriously cutting its capacity, with only 1 steam arm instead of 2, all small components to suit the cut down size etc, probably not volumetric, etc etc etc. Not really suitable for commercial use in this market in a cafe of any decent size.

For anyone looking for a real, new, commercial volumetric 2 group espresso machine to place into a real live cafe environment, with real, warranty and service support, the price bracket given is a fantasy.

No disrespect intended to Chris from CoffeeCentral who originally posed the question over 2 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Attilio
    aka FC, first / original CS site sponsor