Thread: starting a cafe

starting a cafe

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im planning to start up a new cafe in Asia, offering good coffee (compared to anything else we have over here). I was considering importing beans from Campos / Tobys Estate. Tobys estate has suggested supplying the beans every 2 weeks to ensure freshness. Ive read some threads previously and reckon that there are some who firmly believe that imports = crap. Given that Asia is not that faraway from Sydney, and that the beans would be supplied every 2 weeks, would it make a huge difference? Also I would need recommendations of a commercial coffee machine & grinder, as well as training for myself which I will be flying down under for. I was considering Tobys because it seems to be one of the most established 1-stop shop around (might be wrong but that was my impression). Are there any recommendations as to who else I should speak to regarding this? I do not want to end up with a supplier who is just trying to sell his beans & machines while I do not end up with what my customers are looking for.

Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Re: starting a cafe

Might be quicker and easier getting stuff shipped from WA or Darwin? See if thats an option. Have considered doing something like this myself, and I may still do it. Youre not setting up on Batu Ferringhi are you? >:( ;)

For your roasted beans
    I would see if you can strike a deal with one or more supply agreements from our very fine roaster sponsors @ a good CS & commercial $$ rate

Generically speaking
    For machines go for respected workhorses as service for temperamental machines will be a long way from base

KK

by the way, "Asia" is a really big place. Can you narrow it down? Country and city would be good. snobs do travel and may know somewhere closer for you to source your stuff...

Im actually planning to set one up in Singapore. (No, not Batu Ferringhi - I actually had to google that one).

Ive read up on some other threads and found that Highlanders do supply pretty decent coffee, will be making a trip down soon. However, when I was studying in Sydney, Campos was the One. So wondering if Highlanders would match up?

Also, Toby recommended some coffee machines & grinders e.g. Wega, Mirage, Vibiemme.. are there any other recommendations? Ill check out the courses at Highlanders as well and hopefully still make a trip down to Syd for another course.

Thanks for all the responses!

If you enquire and purchase your equipment from a sponsor they will probably train you for free

Send a one off email to all the sponsors with your requirements but be specific
    e.g. Roasted beans, Commercial Machines, Training
    Address is on left panel <<<<<<<<<< or

The ones that can help with your enquiry will respond in due time

KK