Thread: Advice on 2 group compact machine

Advice on 2 group compact machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My first post, but must say have enjoyed reading the general banter and always learn something.

Im looking to upgrade at home to a compact commercial 2 group volumetric machine - main criteria are:
    1. able to produce great coffee, of course, with reasonable care but without too much tweaking needed and something that Mrs HBL is not scared of
    2. ready availability of parts and service in Sydney
    3. happy to look in moderate price bracket, but not extreme

The number of possibilities looks rather daunting and I dont know how one could possibly assess more than a few machines. Grateful for any advice to set me in the right direction or for sponsors to contact.
    :-/

Re: Advice on 2 group compact machine

Any reason you are after a 2 group compact, over say a single group? You have to consider plumbing, do you have access to a 15amp outlet (many require it) and what do you consider to be a moderate price bracket? Also if you are going to get a good machine you need to be considering a comparable grinder to get the best from the machine.

I am sure there will be more questions but that will get the ball rolling.

Site Sponsor

May be an Expobar Rogero

Compact automatic espresso coffee machine with 2 groups, electronic switchboard to control the coffee dosages volumetrically, with automatic water filling and copper boiler with 6 litres capacity with heat exchanger per group. One steam tap (stainless steel) and one hot water tap.

http://expobaraustralia.com.au/index/modules/load/Catalogue/page/coffee_machines/category_id/8/menu/2/product_id/50

I am installing one on Monday night, let me know if you want me to find more information for you.

Regards

Renzo

TC

Dennis (cuppacoffee- CS sponsor) has long experience with the Ruggero....

He should be able to offer some comments ;)

2mcm

I guess I am looking in the 5-6K price category. Plumbing and electrics not really an issue. Why 2 group? - maybe I don t need it, but doesnt seem such a huge jump from 1 to 2 group in this type of machine. But maybe Id get better bang for my buck in a one group?

Ruggero looks good on specs, but rather deep for a kitchen bench and it has a certain retro which I possibly could learn to like

I like the Bezzera original Eagle
    I am actively looking for a used one to restore

http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Coffee-Machines/Bezzera-Commercial-Machines/original-eagle

However If you want a modern but retro look
    You cant go past the 2 group version of my Galatea its beautiful

http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Coffee-Machines/Bezzera-Commercial-Machines/bezzera-galatea-2-group

KK

Hi HBL and welcome to CS!

Ive owned and used a Ruggero for approximately 12 months - it had a 5 litre, not 6 litre boiler. Regardless, these are robust machines and mine served me well. Performance wise, Ive used it to make 400 coffees in 5 hours and it kept up without a whimper.

If not set up correctly, they can tend to run hot. Its an easy adjustment to get it right and there can be advantages with separate heat exchangers dedicated to eash group.

Personally, I like the retro look, and the fibreglass surrounds can be spray painted in any auto colour of your choice, and as long as its not a special finish, this is included in the price.

Apart from a regular clean/maintenance routine, they seem to be very reliable and the componentry is robust and easily accessible. If ever the need arises, parts are readily available and wont cost a fortune.

They are a deep machine, and if sitting on a standard 600ml wide bench, the group handles will overhang. While you will get used to it, its kind of a pity not to be able to view it from all angles. I received lots of compliments about the look.

The standard model has low group heads, and you would need to angle a mug under the spouts to have a chance of getting them under. There is also a high-group model available for a little extra.

If the machine is not plumbed in, I would definitely recommend an auxillary pump to minimise strain on the internal pump. If its plumbed in, you wont have a problem, and the machine comes with a water filter.

If youd like more info and/or the best deal on one, Id be happy to help.

Cheers
    Den - 0404 049 812

What is your price bracket.....ie are you looking for a new machine or something second hand.

If you buy new you can pick and choose what is on the market from importers such as my company Cosmorex Coffee, otherwise, you are at the mercy of whatever comes up occasonally in the second hand market and compact models are not that common. You will be waiting a while.

So first things first, new or used, and budget?

Regardz,
    Attilio
    first CS site sponsor.

Site Sponsor

HBL;

Another one could be Bezzera Ellisse DE 1 group, 5Lt boiler S/S automatic dose or BZ40.

We are in Bondi Junction, your are welcome to come G10 Expobar at my shop if is any help.

Regards

Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by 4B747E727069781D0 link=1238144377/4#4 date=1238148467
    I guess I am looking in the 5-6K price category. Plumbing and electrics not really an issue. Why 2 group? *- maybe I don t need it, but doesnt seem such a huge jump from 1 to 2 group in this type of machine. But maybe Id get better bang for my buck in a one group?

Ruggero looks good on specs, but rather deep for a kitchen bench and it has a certain retro which I possibly could learn to like
    Unless you have more then one person making the coffee at one time (In a domestic situation) a two group would be overkill. I mean could you really be able to cope with running two handles simultaneously and steaming at the same time - and would you really want to. The best part of making coffee at home is the relaxed easy pace - having a conversation etc. while making the coffees.

At that price range I would be looking at a very high quality one group machine that is plumbed in and drained (this is really worth it) and a good quality grinder. I think you should get onto some of the sponsors on the side panel and work out with them what you really need.

Just my two beans

Having used a compact 2 group they do have a large capacity for work but as MM said it is probably overkill. Spend your money on a good grinder and an awesome 1 group that will handle all your needs. (assuming you dont have 80 people over for lunch on a regular basis) ;D. That said if you want it you dont have to justify it to anyone.

as home 2 group owner, agree only get a 2 group if you really need it. For 5-6k Id save up a little more and get chriss (talk coffee) LM GS/3! and a nice grinder to go with it. I think coffeeparts also has one in sydney you may want to look at. 2 groups have bad resale value, so good to buy 2nd hand, but if you get new, youd lose lots on resale. They are good when have guests, but 95% of the time for me, only 1 group is in use.

Thanks for the advice; 2 groups could be good for dinner party when a dozen coffee orders come in, but agree I would probably be no slower on a 1 group. I will definitely go for the plumb in water and waste - Ive had one too many overflows from small waste trays. When I have looked on the internet the other names that have come up as possibilities for commercial plumbed-in 1 or 2 group have been ECM Megaline Raffaello, Vibiemme Minimax, Wega Polaris and San Marino Lisa. Any thoughts on these machines which as far as I can tell are from well known suppliers?

I like the philosophy of moto coffee - "if you want it you dont have to justify it to anyone"

Ill also be talking to some of the CS sponsors this week.