Thread: Help needed with another Faema e87

Help needed with another Faema e87

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    have some problems of my own with my faema e87.when i turn my machine on the pump doesnt come on.i tested the pump by pluging it directly to a 220 power source and it work.anyone knows what is wrong with my e87?

Re: Help needed with another Faema e87

Hi everyone was wondering if you could help me.when i turn my machine on the pump doesnt come on the element does.i try wiring the pump direct to the 220 and it work.any idea what my problem could be?thanks for your time and expertise.sacha

Hi Sacha,

The pump wont normally come on unless you either push the button on the front to start a shot or if the boiler level is low. What happens when you press the button to start a shot? How much water is in the boiler? Can you see water in the sight glass? If the water level is OK but you get no pump when trying to start a shot it could be a problem in the control electronics. If the water level is low but you get pump activity when you brew a shot its probably the auto-fill mechanism - check the wiring on the auto-fill probe inside the sight glass. If you get no pump activity in either case its probably still related to the electronics unfortunately. Perhaps get back to us with a bit more info on the above.

Greg

thanks Greg for the answer.very appreciated. nothing happens when i run a shot.my machine is fully manual including a pic of what it look like when i got it last week.the water line in the sight glass tells me it is full but when i move the machine back and foth doesnt seem like they are much water at all
    just ordered yesterday an auto level relay.the one in the machine was open so i had the feeling it might have been the problem. Does the pump only come on when the pressure in the boiler is high enought to run a shot?just a bit worried of heating the water all the way as i dont want to burn the element.let me know what you think.thanks again sacha

Hi Greg, when i got the machine it looked pretty much like the one you restored all gunked up with crystalized coffee and milk that had been there for years. *Everything had on the bottom of the inside of unit had been covered with about an inch of hard stuff which was very difficult to remove. So we cleaned it up as the picture now shows but may need to do some more when we get it working. the auto-fill probe inside the sight glass is gummed up with stuff was wondering if I take it apart to clean if i would have to replace the gasket. When researching I understand that the gasket is copper. Well thanks again for your help and I hope the picture helps. Sacha

Underneath the bottom of the boiler is a drain plug, undo that and drain out whatevers in there. You should see the sight glass emptying out at the same time, if not theres a blockage somewhere. Once its all empty connect up some mains water pressure to the inlet and start from scratch.

The left position on the main switch activates everything but the heating element while the right position brings in the heating element, so you can safely leave it in the left position with an empty boiler while it fills up. When you put it into this position the pump should start on the auto-fill circuit. If it doesnt auto fill you can push the black lever underneath the machine (below the front Faema badge) towards the back of the machine and this will allow water to flow into the boiler but will need to look into why thats not working.

The pump should run all the time. The boiler pressure is only for steam (and heating the water), the brewing circuit is separate to that and can run when the machine is cold. You can test all this with it in the left position.

If youre going to get it working properly you will need to assume you have to replace pretty well every gasket. This is what I did. Coffeeparts had all the ones I needed. But as I said to Faema and Fortune, take copious amounts of photos in high resolution under natural light (not a flash) from a few different angles at each step of the way. It will seem like overkill but when you come to put it back together youll be relying on probably one or two photos to reveal key details of that odd nut hidden back here or there which you didnt even know existed when you took the photos.

Or just buy mine! ;D

Yours should be pretty easy to fix up the electrics as it just has the brew switch, no volumetrics or metering or anything. But dont go tinkering around with it if you dont know what youre doing - 240v can kill, or at least give you a nasty shock (as I rediscovered last weekend :( - tip #1: when in a new house, double-check all powerpoints are correctly wired before presuming so. Active connected to neutral is deadly)

Greg

Thanks Greg for your help will try draining and refilling and go from there. Would be easier to just buy yours but where is the fun in that. Helping the environment by restoring instead of throwing away. thanks Sacha

Greg ive took your advice and emptyed the thank sadly that still didnt get the pump going.also doing that brought a new project on my hand the boiler fill valve with manual override need fixing!!!!!the manual just dont work i gess it got oxydise and it is stuck and i cant fill the boiler anymore.i guess this mean acid bath for tonight and hopefully tomorrow ill wake up to a nice shinny and clear of scales fully operative fill valve ;D in my wildest dream!!!!! anyway i had to done.i guess this will be a bit more complicated than i was expecting but i am sure will be quite happy of myself when it is all done and i can enjoy my own expresso from my faema comercial machine so for now the saga continues

Apart from the various tips there are about restoring such a unit, just make sure you have a need for it! If youre doing what I did and hoping to spend $300 in the hope youll get the speed and shot quality of a $3000... you may well, but you make some losses too. Apart from the physical size, the fiscal and environmental cost of heating up 14 litres of water, 10kg of brass and a heap of copper to extract one 30-60ml shot of espresso is irrational. Fine if you have a lot of shots to make, but you may need to think about leaving it on 24/7 in which case do your sums on how much power its going to draw each day. Commercial machines are commercial for a reason - theyre designed for high throughput, and the losses you make on warm-up power and time you make up for by the number of shots you make once its warm. If youre doing all that for two cappas a day Id question the long-term economics. Ultimately, I ended up with an Expobar Minore III and now have two surplus commercial machines. A more expensive way to go but Ive ended up with a solution that is a better match for my style of usage.

Presuming you go ahead with it, best bet is a complete strip-down and start from scratch. Therell be bit of muck all through the pipes, in the jets and group filters and so on so do it properly if youre going to do it at all.

Good luck!
    Greg

Thanks Greg, yes i realise that. I got 4 *120 gal aquariums running in the house, so i certainly have an idea of how much power that machine is going to suck. When it come to usage i will pull a couple dozen shots a day, as i am kind of the coffee stop of the neighborhood for my friends. Plus i am getting quite a kick*out of bringing it back to life, the poor thing looked so sad, all gummed up and calcified!!!!!hehehe! I got the manual overide finally working, it was pretty stuck by the corosion and jammed solid inside from scale but i got it cleaned and working I did the same to the water level electrode. Was hoping that by some miracle the flow of water would get my pump going but no such luck. Waiting impatiently beside the mail box for my new auto level relay which i am anticipating will be the answer to my problem *:D well will see about that. Also did I mention that Im in Canada and the place is pretty cold so Im thinking i could just put it under my bed and use it as a bedwarmer, could come handy on those long cold winter nights ;D Once again guys I am very greatful for the warm welcome on your site and feeling less alone in getting in that unkown territory of restoring an old *commercial expresso machine. *I have read a lot of the post and Im feeling very sad for all those coffee lovers whose the wives are saying "baby its me or the coffee machine ". Mine has already offered to help me remove a couple of cupboards so we could sit the machine in a glorious *spot. I guess Im twice blessed. Cheers Sacha

:( i finally received my auto level relay and big disapointement it not changing anything ,the pump is still non responsive!!!!!!i guess my next step is to take the pump apart and see what might be wrong with it.i also bought an electrical tester so i can see if they are actually power getting to the pump.at this point i am starting to think the switch might be faulty the tester should help me answer that question.hopefully ill be back on here soon with better news.sacha

Good on ya matey....dont let old FAEMAs die!!!

Cheers

thanks for the words of support man :) glad to hear somebody else think i should save it from the dump!!

Hi I am having some sort an electrical problem with my own faema e87. I am not sure if its my main switch , wondering if anyone have a electrical schematic of the system. When I turn the switch on i only get power the element not the pump or any of the other selenoid on the system.i tested things and there is no power getting anywhere but to the element. Have replaced my relay with a new one and still nothing. bit stuck at this point if anybody could suggest something to figure out what is wrong so i dont have to buy parts i dont need.thanks sacha

I love a good rebuild and the best ones teach us all so dont loose faith. You can do it! I really dont know the machine so this is shooting in the dark but I would start by double checking all the connections for corrosion and cleaning as required, then checking the resistance of the water level probe (I believe it should be really high when water low and almost nothing when tank full but could be wrong as I dont know the machine) from there check the switch works but if all the rest is fine then I am afraid I would suspect it might be the control box. If you post some pics if the interiour of the machine we may be able to help more. If you cant find a wiring diagram just draw your own, the machine is right there. The big thing is to take your time, it wont be a complex circuit and post what you have drawn so I can help more. Good luck.

I didnt read the whole post is the pump working when yo press the group buttons if not check the fuse on the new and old relay box if they are blown you need to replace the coil on the inlet valve keep me posted

cheers

Carlo

Hi Sacha- how long do you leave it on for when trying to get it to work?
    My new (today) Faema seems to have a relay which waits quite a long while before doing anything when its first woken up. I initially thought it had something wrong with it when I plugged it in, it waited quite a long time before the pump started filling the boiler.
    This may not be what youre talking about
    Brett

As I have figured out, my problem was with the switch. I have replaced the damn thing . Was a bit difficult to find one but I succeeded in that. Thank god for ebay. I have also replaced all the gaskets, and gave all parts a good acid bath and everything seems to be going fine. I now at the point where all I have to do is install a new 220 line to my breaker box as most probably know Canada works on 110 volts and I am waiting for some nice dry warm weather (it is winter here) so I can work on the cosmestic good painting job on the painted parts to have it looking like new. It will soon be finished and I will post some nice pictures of the finished project.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3334303834106D621B3A233C3630550 link=1240127715/17#17 date=1269279173
    As I have figured out, my problem was with the switch. I have replaced the damn thing . Was a bit difficult to find one but I succeeded in that. Thank god for ebay. *I have also replaced all the gaskets, and gave all parts a good acid bath and everything seems to be going fine. I now at the point where all I have to do is install a new 220 line to my breaker box *as most probably know Canada works on 110 volts and I am waiting for some nice dry warm weather (it is winter here) so I can work on the cosmestic good painting job on the painted parts to have it looking like new. It will soon be *finished and I will post some nice pictures of the finished project.
    Keep up the good work and post pics... we love pics :D

AlexT got some wiring dig but not the detail I wanted.. PM me ya details and we can chat ;)

His board is Repaired; and teh Pump is working.. Now all we need is the owner to come and take it away..

Would like a big old project... But I must admit... Electrical issues on anothers project is a right pain; unless the unit is in ya back yard :D