Thread: La Marzocco PID

La Marzocco PID

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So here goes my first post..

I recently bought a LM Linea 3gp off CS for my work. I get the job of getting it up to scratch for cafe use.
    It had a PID, but was disconnected and running off a thermatic switch, I like the idea of the PID better and the boss is paying the bill so a new PID kit went in using a eroelectonic control.
    Now with it running on a temp & pressure group handle, the group temp is around 7C short of the boiler temp on the PID display. Is this a normal amount of temp drop for a Linea?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Re: La Marzocco PID

maybe try craig at 9bar services. he knows his LMs

Site Sponsor

Hi Nick,

Not un common for a older semi refurbished linea to do that, a new linea will drop a couple of degrees from the boiler but not much more, is it consistantly 7C short of what the PID is telling you? How are you testing the brew temp? the variables goes on and on! your cafe in melb? could have a look with a scaice?

Ive got a Linea 2AV that has recently had a PID installed to replace the old thermostat.
    Lineas seem to warm up with use, so from an unused state the difference between brew boiler and group on my machine might be as much as 4.5C (Ive checked this with a Scace), but after a few shots the gap between boiler and group gets closer to 2.5C. AV Lineas have a more complex water path (flow meters) and therefore take longer to warm up or equalise. Is your Linea Volumetric?

In a busy cafe environment perhaps the differential could become quite small. 7C sounds high to me... Im assuming you set the PID to the appropriate thermocouple type?
    I would have thought the larger 3 group brew boiler would be more thermally stable?
    What kit did you use?
    Hows the coffee tasting and looking?

Thanks for the replys guys . To try and answer both your questions at once yes its an AV 2003 build.

I was checking the group temp with a scaice that I have only just bought and it was the first time I have used it. The thermocouple supplied with the scaice is a no brand jobbie that seems acurate but a little slow to respond (I tested it in urne water at different temps)

The machine is in my roastarie at the moment making maybe 15 coffees a day so definately not getting used to its potential but when I was checking the temps I was doing it many different ways ie after flushing lots of water through the groups after long idle periods etc and alwayse getting the same results 100C at the boiler to achicive 93C at the group.

The look of the shots and the taste seems right for that temp.

Im not sure on the brand of the temp probe itself but the PID controler is ero electronic

Im in regoinal Qld but thanks for the offer to have a look. your still welcome if your keen :D

I have also put .6mm flow restrictors in does this have any effect on temp? I assume it would by slowing the water while it is out of the saturated group leaving it exposed to room temp for a longer amount of time. any thoughts on my theroy? :-?

Cheers Nick

Ok I just had a look at a scace device online and this isnt what I have.
    What I just bought has a pressure gauge in the end of the handel and a SS temp probe pointed in the side directly into the water stream that is connected to a digital thermometer, but no basket. Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks for reading
    Nick

Hi Nick,
    Just a thought....

Is there an offset parameter that you can enter into the electronic controller? If so, check what it is set at. ie. -first crack, 0C, first crack etc. If it is set at 0C then the differential of temps between boiler and shot is indeed the 7C (minus the 2-4C natural differential that you would expect with a volumetric LM).

But if the offset is set (for instance) at 5C, then it could account for the extra differential.

This facility to enter the offset will allow the user to have 94C water in the boiler (which might equate to 92C water at the grouphead) but show 92C water at the controller.

Worth checking.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by 2423292115393E2F3C2F24394A0 link=1259205333/5#5 date=1259812058
    a SS temp probe pointed in the side directly into the water stream that is connected to a digital thermometer, but no basket. Just wanted to clear that up.
    does that mean the water has to fill the ghandle before it reads the temp or is the probe in the flow right up near the shower screen?

i was thinking if the water has to "drop" or fill the scace a bit it will very quickly reduce the temp of the water, have you tried preheating the scace to *reduce temp shock?

if your close to good / great shots should you just use the PID as a guide to what temp you need for consistency? then you can shift up or down a degree to look for better shots etc

sounds like fun *:) i would like a Linea.......

HEY SANTA !!! WHERE IS MY LINEA!!! SANTA...... ;D

Hey thanks for even more info..

Paolo. I think you are on to it the booklet that come with the controler is very scientificly (is that a word?) written and confuseing to my non scientific head. but it did mention offset parameters im going to study book tonight and let you know how I get on.

And Maheel you are right about the temp shock but I probably should have mentioned how I was testing it. fill empty fill empty pause fill open tap to run at 9 bar and watch temp. I dont know if this is protocol or not as it is the first time I have used it but it seemd to give a consistant reading
    Thanks for reading
    Nick