Thread: Machine servicing costs

Machine servicing costs

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Having been a spectator here for some time I have now joined you guys, this is a fantastic forum from which I have gleaned some great tips. Here is my first question....I have a VBM Super; what should I expect to pay for a service which includes descale, group shower, group seal, gaskets etc?

TC

Re: Machine servicing costs

Quote Originally Posted by 72414C4C5967200 link=1279369733/0#0 date=1279369733
    Having been a spectator here for some time I have now joined you guys, this is a fantastic forum from which I have gleaned some great tips. *Here is my first question....I have a VBM Super; what should I expect to pay for a service which includes descale, group shower, group seal, gaskets etc?
    Welcome Rally,

A shower screen and group seal are cheap- $20-30. A descale can be done (badly) by throwing some descaler into the tank and flushing it through the machine. Many "service outlets" do this and do it cheaply. Its a waste of chemical and money. To do it properly, you need to force a boiler fill and its fiddly and takes a good couple of hours in total. Expect to pay accordingly ;)

2mcm

Evening 2mcm,
    Are you saying that using products like Restore and Vanish by the owner is a waste of time?

Jon

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 38040D1500610 link=1279369733/2#2 date=1279374949
    Evening 2mcm,
    Are you saying that using products like Restore and Vanish by the owner is a waste of time?

Jon
    No Jon,

I am saying that with a HX machine, unless you force a complete boiler fill, its a waste of time, so it will depend on the competency of the owner. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274615034/0#0

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 742B33252E2529202023232B2728460 link=1279369733/3#3 date=1279404141
    Quote Originally Posted by 38040D1500610 link=1279369733/2#2 date=1279374949
    Evening 2mcm,

Jon
    No Jon,

I am saying that with a HX machine, unless you force a complete boiler fill, its a waste of time, so it will depend on the competency of the owner. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274615034/0#0

2mcm
    So that would eliminate 99% of HX owners (lack of appropriate electical qualifications) as it should.
    Certainly a point for potential HX buyers to factor in.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 546861796C0D0 link=1279369733/4#4 date=1279405941
    So that would eliminate 99% of HX owners (lack of appropriate electical qualifications) as it should.
    Quite possibly....Dual boiler owners as well :-?

Welcome to CS RallyG.

I am in agreement with 2mcm and would like to add the following:

The question is subject to the individual case, service by service on the basis of need.

Poeple in these forums go on and on about descaling.....it is important to "check" and deal with scale, as and when appropriate. What is appropriate in one locality, is not apporopriate in another due to differences in water quality.

Be careful not to get the impression (from reading these forums), that owners descale their HX machines at the drop of a hat and often. It is neither true nor necessarily necessary....

A good point has been raised concerning that 99% of coffee machine owners are "not competent" to do any work on their machines (my words) ......the inside of a coffee machine has no "user servicable" parts inside, & very few people (despite the impression that could be gained in reading these forums) work on/in *their machines or understand enough about the way they are designed to operate, to know what they are doing.

You dont have to be a mechanic to own and drive your car.

If you backflush your hx machines group on some kind of regular basis with backflushing detergent....why would you want to replace the shower? If you pull a shower from a machine that is regularly backflushed in a domestic situation, it will be as clean as a whistle! *The only reason to replace it is if...over a great deal of time....it has actually been damaged.

Same for a group seal. If the seal works and there are no leaks.....dont replace it just for the sake of doing so.

To conclude and FWIW, on the subject of so called "SERVICE":

Service repair businesses sometimes differ in their "service" philosphy. In the main however, you do not "service" an espresso machine as such. When something is not right or it has started to display an uncharacteristic behaviour (a "breakdown"), you take it in for repair. Only stuff that needs doing is done to effect the repair. If the tech notices something else that needs doing, you should be advised and in an ideal world, that would also be rectified at the same time as the problem that the machine was brought in for.

Be careful that having something "serviced" *does not and cannot preclude an unfortunate and unrelated breakdown occuring at any time......ie just because a machine has been "service" recently, doesnt mean it wont develop some fault soon after, and that is not the service techs problem to repair for you without charge......Service Techs *"love it" when people say words to the effect of, that their machine has just been "serviced" (read, a fault has been repaired), and now something else has gone wrong. What this means is.....a specific fault was repaired, and unfortunately soon after, an unrelated problem in another area has manifested itself. *A repair or service in one area, cannot preclude a probelm occuring elsewhere.

As to cost: It costs what it costs. A call out will incurr a Service Call charge, plus an hourly rate for the labour, plus parts. Owners of non plumbed in machines should take them in to the point of service, and then there wont be a "Service Call" charge but there will be an hourly rate plus parts. Depending on the reparier there will / could be a BOOK IN or QUOTE fee charged up front. This is because time is spent on the diagnosis and quote before the client is telephoned to get the go ahead. Sometimes the client will elect (for whatever reason) not go go ahead, and they forfeit the QUOTE Fee. If they go ahead with the repair, the Quote Fee is apportioned as a part payment already made towards the total cost of the repair). *

Hope this helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 0B544C5A515A565F5F5C5C545857390 link=1279369733/5#5 date=1279409696
    Quote Originally Posted by 546861796C0D0 link=1279369733/4#4 date=1279405941
    Quite possibly....Dual boiler owners as well *:-?
    Thats why I get a sponsor to do mine.

Reminds me: next service is due.

TC

Im with Attilio on this one....

Too many CSers descale when there is no reason to. For example, if there is significant scale on the mushroom of an e-61, thats a good reason to descale. If not, no need and in fact its probably not a good thing at all. We all learned about acid + metal = in Science class when we were kids. *:-?

There must be a really nice little business for less scrupulous service joints who do the "bring it in and well descale it and replace items x, y and z" et al and itll be $whatever they reckon. They then replace the shower and group seal, chuck some descaler in the tank and flush it out and lighten your wallet of $150 or so.

I agree that if you run appropriate, coffee specific filtration for your area, backwash regularly and if nothings broke, it probably doesnt need fixing. I educate clients in whats right for the machine and then suggest that we have a chat only if it leaks or squeaks. With all of that I too often see filthy, poorly maintained machines (sadly, some owned by CSers) where the seller provided no education whatsoever or the purchaser didnt care/listen. I have seen 18 month old machines which look 10 years old and if I take an hour to clean a machine so I can work on it, I charge for it. If you fry up and do so near your machine, stop it or cover the machine! You will kill it. Its just a matter of when. ::)

The key as always is good hygeine practices and good water- and in most areas, that means more than just a Brita jug.

Chris

Thanks very much for your insights and sharing your expertise; awesome. I think through inexperience (before I started really reading these forums) I have been a victim of the "its been a while so youll need this, that and the next thing" as standard.

Here is one more question please.....the service agent has strapped the pump to prevent it from rattling against the side of the machine casing - is this a common practice with vibrating pumps? My particular machine did seem to make a lot of noise as the pump knocked against the side.

Hi RallyG,

I have a VBM machine that is a little over 3 years old, I have descaled twice in that time and on both occasions I have found that a descale was not really warranted......... I do have underbench filtration!

As for servicing, nearly all can be undetaken by even a novice and spares are readilly available through site sponsors.

the service agent has strapped the pump to prevent it from rattling against the side of the machine casing

As to the above, I do not know who your "ServiceAgent" is, but I do question their competence; the pump is suspension mounted for a reason and to "strap" it up makes me wonder if they Really know what they are doing.

There are ways of minimising any noises with some quite rudimentary fixes.

I too live on the Gold Coast ( Ashmore) and am happy to assist if wanted.

Contact me if I can help.

Cheers Gazz

Quote Originally Posted by 10362D2D570 link=1279369733/10#10 date=1279576051
    As for servicing, nearly all can be undetaken by even a novice
    Dangerous advice Gazz, I would be very concerned about the average novice without a bit of mechanical experience and electrical qualifications playing around inside any machine.
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, exactly which service procedures do you have in mind? :)

Point taken Jon,

However I did not mean that servicing should include "Playing around with the electricals", unless properly understood.

There is an abundance of DIY literature, even on this site, especially for the VBM

Group seals , shower heads, OPV and pressurestat setting as well as general maintenance is easily undertakenby most intelligent people.

De-scaling if neccessary is also within the DIY scope of many people.

My post in answer to RallyG was really referring to the quality of so called "Service agents" who all to often take short cuts or provide services that are not required.

Cheers Gazz