Thread: Rolls Royce & Ferrari of machines - Syneso

Rolls Royce & Ferrari of machines - Syneso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just wanted to bring to CSs attention an amazing machine being produced in Seattle - US.

I recently had a play on the Synesso machine at St. Alis in South Melbourne (The greatest kept secret in the Melbourne coffee scene). What can I say . . . the feel and experience was unlike any other. A completely barista orientated machine producing the finest coffee I have experienced. This baby is completely stainless steel, with 4 boilers, PID control for each boiler and a steam arm that should have been done years ago. *Oh and the price, well I made some investigation and you pay for what you get . . lets just say its a chunk of change!

I believe St. Alis is the finest coffee experience in Melbourne. Keep an eye out for "Toshi" the Japanese barista who puts great heart and skill into the preparation of coffee.

or: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1130481608 or http://www.stali.com.au/

TC

Re: Rolls Royce & Ferrari of machines - Syneso

Im very proud to say that Toshi is an ex-student of mine at the academy 8-). When he first came to the academy, he hadnt touched an espresso machine. 4 weeks later he competed in a latte art comp in Sydney.

He is a switched on barista of the highest calibre who does it all out of passion for coffee....and thats gotta be a good start!

For those yet to visit St. Ali...its time!

2mcm

Sounds great Ill try to pay them a visit on Monday or Tuesday. :)

I love the Boutique Rosters the persoanal detail and control that goes into each roast IMHO puts them ahead of the bigger commercial roasters. Especially for those who are not keen on roasting themselves. Just like beer you have the Big Breweries who really dont care to much about taste. To them its more about bottom line. The small boutique breweries ........if it doesnt taste GREAT then they are out of business.

If I were to buy roasted coffee id probably go to Atomica or Cottles but Ill reseve judgement on St Ali till ive actually tried it but by all reports its pretty darn good. I just may give it a shot :)

Cheers
    Rich

yeah, synessos look like fun to play with. Wouldnt it be fun to have one sitting on the bench at home?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1153012863/0#3 date=1153048188
    yeah, synessos look like fun to play with. Wouldnt it be fun to have one sitting on the bench at home?
    I agree- it would be great fun to be able to play with a synesso at home...however as the volume required would never occur at home, the play would probably never cease....youd never dial the machine in. Perhaps it would simply become an exercise in frustration...

The LM GS3 looks like it would be similar fun but how many of us really need one, and how many of us actually have the skills and consistency to gain the benefit/s of having one?

The great Minore v Giotto shootout proved comprehensively that by far the biggest variable in the whole process is the person on the end of the portafilter- and even with perhaps the best part of a million shots and a heap of effort on the day, I was unable to lock the variables down enough to clearly obtain a "result". Perhaps a Swift grinder might have assisted in the process...

We CSers generally get really excited about technology...and thats a good thing because its fun ;) however, I suggest that we dont get too caught up on technology....Get the right training and experience; get your technique right and do a whole heap of palate work and the results will be in the cup with any good machine..

2mcm

Hey Zecc,

I dont think that St Ali is much of a secret anymore!

What you dont get to see from playing around with a Synesso (or indeed a La Marzocco) is how supportive and responsive the gang at the factory are. The machine also has a heap of other features that you cant see. SS dispersion blocks, heat-exchangers to feed the brew boilers, two elements in the steam boiler (so that if one pops youre still in business ... or so that you can shut off an element and a group or two to conserve power, if you want) and the mix valve for varying the temperature of the hot water from the spout.

Hey Chris,

I dont think that the synesso would be all that difficult to dial in at home. Were pretty good at it now; Ive gotten the temp spot on on the first or second try for every blend for the last few months! And if you dont do the minute tweaks when necessary to follow the blend around, youre no worse off than if you had any other machine where the temp was fixed. The SS dispersion blocks possibly present a different challenge in the home environment; like the guys at St Ali, we clean them down halfway through the day and at the end of the day. Seems to help the flavour. The plus side is that the oils dont seem to bake into the metal like they do with the brass ones ... which seems to mean that they slip off more easily. Anyhoo, its all more or less moot, really; isnt it!

Hey Rich,

The Daterra Reserve Sweet Collection is well worth getting if it is available. Its what Illy should taste like. Not for milk lovers. If you get their house blend, you can try it at home and see how your machine stacks up against their Synesso ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Luca:

Just to put my bit in for my Bezzera BZ-40P which cost me $800.

It is pretty common to have two elements in machines and the Bezzera has two 1400W elements.

The group head has a brass (better conductor than SS) dispersion block and a stainless steel mesh filter after that.

This is one of the reasons I have always been a fan of these machines not to mention that the temperature control is excellent with almost no need to purge. They also supply all the schematics for the machine so it makes it a doddle to fix and the parts are cheap ($40 for a new hx!) and readily available.

I feel sorry for people who just go for the shiny new machines with the rave reviews like the Giotto. Dont get me wrong these are good machines but there are better machines that represent better long term investment but they are not showered with attention and reviews and the attention of the espresso paparazzi.

Anyway, these sound like great machines!

Grant

So how many Synessos are in Australia now? I only know of the 2 in Melbourne

I know there are a few Cyncras in Perth, Ive played around with the two group Dean (5 senses coffee) has at his factory. I know a new cafe that is installing 2 x three groups!. Very cool machione

Ill preface this with: Id love one. Digital temperature control is a very nice feature. Then there is the rest of the package that all comes together into what is purportedly a brilliant machine.

However, when I was in Hawaii late last year I found a small outlet with a 1 group Synesso Cyncra. I ordered an espresso and .... yep the usualy barely drinkable krap. I ordered a bunch of cappas and hardly found one worth coming back for. And this is in the land of Kona coffee.... I also had coffee from a Mistral (a Kees Van der Westen custom machine) with similar results. In contrast Ive had cappas here at work from a standard Wega/Robur combo and the taste has blown me away so much so that for as long as the taste lingered in my mouth I wouldnt eat or drink anything else.

As a tech head, I love this machine. But you gotta get the rest right before it sings.

.......Id love a single group for home as well, but the minister for finance cant find the $9000 in the current budget ;D

Karl

I understood the comment in the original topic posted by Zecc

("...I believe St. Alis is the finest coffee experience in Melbourne. Keep an eye out for "Toshi" the Japanese barista who puts great heart and skill into the preparation of coffee....)

to mean principally, that their great brew is more the fact of their using the type of machine mentioned in the preamble rather than their employment of good staff, even despite the second sentence in the quote about a very good operator called Toshi.

Perhaps I misunderstood?

In any case I would think rather that the quality of the brewed coffee there is more to do with the standards of the ownership/management, their supervision of the staff, and their hiring of great / or better than average staff.

Otherwise, it wouldnt matter what equipment brand / type they have.

Remember the cliche:
    25% coffee / 25% equipment (& this includes how "well kept it is"...no point in having the "best brand" if its treated like crap) / 50% operator.

Apologies to all if I have misunderstood.

Regardz,
    FC.

Grant, Sparky, I agree with both of you.

Theres a guy in Melbourne with a beautiful red FB-70 and Piazza Doro. Andrew and I went together and had some espresso just to check it out; we - quite literally - felt queasy afterwards. On the other hand, Ive used a myriad of tweaked HX machines that performed really, really well with a minimum of fuss. Including a San Marino recently, which I think has a vaguely similar setup to the bezzeras ... right?

As a side note, the Linea that we had as a stand-in for they Synesso while waiting for delivery was really bad; it was an old model that had been sorely abused.

The beauty of the Synesso in a commercial environment is that it does everything with no fuss and no worries. You want to change the temperature? Just press a few buttons. Thats it. No worrying about different flush times, no getting out screwdrivers, no delay to service it, no worrying that the group temp will be different because you have been more or less busy. Nothing. It also gives you a level of control that you dont get with most machines by using the manual preinfusion.

In a practical application, where it really shines is with the multiple guest blends that we always have floating around. You just dial one group in for them and its business as usual. Particularly important when our house blend usually extracts at 3 or so F below most of the guest ones.

You can get most machines to perform very well for the particular blend that youre using; its just a matter of having a really good tech pimp the machine out for you, or DIY. But varying the temperature and still keeping the intrashot variation right down often requires new restrictors, a change in pstat settings, etc. Either that, or it really, really, really requires you to pay attention, stand on one foot, hop around and pray to various pagan gods. Not practical when youve got 15 orders lined up!

The home environment is completely different. I actually like the idea of doing a bit of tweakage with a bezzera or whatever to dial the temperature in!

Cool, gotta run,

Luca

I hope my path will one day lead to the end of tweakage.... well maybe not.

My Faema currently has been tweaked so that the PID reading IS the shot temp and you can watch the shot temperature variation in real time on the display. This is very sweet. I have a few more mods in mind, but am very happy with the latest.

While I really like the Synesso, Id prefer to build my own. Ive got most of the bits now, a 5l steam boiler (with HX unit to preheat the brew water), A mixing chamber to keep the temps manageable and a Sunbeam thermoblock to set and control the brew temp with a PID controller.... All this will be shoved into an old Bezzera frame.

Yep the barista still has a major job to play, what ever the machine. But the machine can make the job easier...

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi
    Went to St Ali today *its pretty damn good even just about talked my Supervisor into having our service meetings there that huge table in the middle should fit us all around. :)

Nice Rosetta on top of the Latte. I generally test a cafe on something safe before getting a shot especially if I short on the $$$ at the time. But most importantly it tasted good.

Didnt have a chance to have a chat to anyone I was short on time.

The Synesso does seem to do the job very well and looks nice too, Id love the chance to have a play with one, oneday. While its true good espresso is 99% operator but to quote another Cliche "You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear" ::) to mean while a great barista could probably get a drinkable coffee out of any machine he or she will get a Fantastic coffee for alot less time and effort out of a really good machine. I see the exact same thing in the copier industry. You get copy centres trying to make copies that people will pay for out of machines not designed to do the job they are asking of it. IMHO the old saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" is pretty much crap if you start with a good quality tool (Epresso Machine) then the end result will more than likely be worth what you pay for it (assuming the operator knows what they are doing). Obviously someone who has no idea what they are doing will screw it up on both and turn out pig swill.

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1153012863/0#12 date=1153111792
    Theres a guy in Melbourne with a beautiful red FB-70 and Piazza Doro. *Andrew and I went together and had some espresso just to check it out; we - quite literally - felt queasy afterwards. *
    Plus watching that barista showed nothing really very wrong with his technique - it was all the bean IMO (Di Manfredi, not the ordinary PDO)

Greg

After such high praise, I decided to give St Ali another run. On my last visit, a few months back, I sent my latte back because it was tepid. I was informed by the barista that this is the way a latte "should" be served. I disagreed, as I believe that coffee should be served hot, not scalding, but hot, 68 degrees rings a bell. I was subsequently served a beautiful hot latte. Visited again today and asked for a hot latte, I was again informed that tepid is the "correct" temperature, delicious coffee was served hot, well almost. Is this tepid coffee attitude wide spread? Perhaps I am just ignorant, but I prefer my coffee hot, as do all of my friends. It is difficult to savour a coffee, if it goes cold after only a few minutes. I suppose its ok, if sculling is your thing, its just not for me. What are your thoughts people?

Bart.

My Latte was perfect temp not overly hot but I sipped and savoured every last drop ;) and was pretty much the same temp as most cafes I frequent in the Melb CBD

But i guess it comes down to A "You cant please all the people all time............" thing

Mind you along time ago i got use to having cooler than the "Norm" teas and coffees as I have young kids. To me its saftey issue and reckless to have a scalding hot cuppa when there are young ones about.

Rich

The synesso is an amazing machine that takes espresso on a new level. Its a huge part of what makes St Ali special. A good barista can pull you a great shot, but the extraction on the synesso is different to any other machine i have ever seen. The coffee is like silk and im learning so much as a barista with it. My learning curve on coffee has leap to another level and i have this machine to thank for that.
    The synesso makes a roaster better. A roaster can see all the faults and problems thru the synesso. The other day we were matching a blend of espresso to jams. Fig jam and apricot jam. Just by dialling in the temperture. You can even match espresso to bacon and eggs. Its a scary machine. Im an artist barista and i dont look into the science of coffee much, but the synesso has changed my point of view.

Hot coffee.... my point of view. If you get a coffee that is luke warm and you dont like it, you only have yourself to blame. Dont blame the barista. They cant read your mind. Most baristi will have no problem doing a hot coffee if you tell them too. Also you can taste the coffee better when its luke warm. Palate sensation is better than warm sensation. If i made my coffees hot to all customers i would lose business, and attracted a certain crowd. People that are after heat sensation. Thats why i have on my menus if you want coffee hot please ask.

Anyone that wants to play with synesso can always email me.

ANdrew

As I said b4 Andy the coffee I had was just fine and dandy:)

Ill have to introduce myself next time im in.

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Bart link=1153012863/15#16 date=1153464191
    I was informed by the barista that this is the way a latte "should" be served. I disagreed, as I believe that coffee should be served hot, not scalding, but hot, 68 degrees rings a bell.
    The 68C figure is about the temp that most baristi would usually stop stretching the milk at. You then need to factor in temperature loss to various sources, like the air and the cup. Its actually very interesting that if you heat the cup up and serve the beverage in it at the same temperature, it usually registers as hot ...

Cheers,

Luca

Thats what I thought. I wasnt looking to insult anyone, I was just asking the question to reassure myself that Im not totally ignorant. Each to his own, I just happen to prefer mine hot. :-?

Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich and Rae link=1153012863/15#19 date=1153546835
    As I said b4 Andy the coffee I had was just fine and dandy:)

Ill have to introduce myself next time im in.

Cheers
    Rich
    Just to clarify, AndyL has the other Synesso in Melbourne at The Maling Room in Canterbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart link=1153012863/15#21 date=1153621203
    Thats what I thought. I wasnt looking to insult anyone, I was just asking the question to reassure myself that Im not totally ignorant. Each to his own, I just happen to prefer mine hot. :-?

Bart.
    One of the other members here once said to a few of us that if someone orders a "nice, hot latte" from him, he tells them that he can make it either nice or hot so the customer can pick between the two ;D

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL link=1153012863/15#18 date=1153472956
    The synesso is an amazing machine that takes espresso on a new level. Its a huge part of what makes St Ali special. A good barista can pull you a great shot, but the extraction on the synesso is different to any other machine i have ever seen. The coffee is like silk and im learning so much as a barista with it. My learning curve on coffee has leap to another level and i have this machine to thank for that.
    The synesso makes a roaster better. A roaster can see all the faults and problems thru the synesso. The other day we were matching a blend of espresso to jams. Fig jam and apricot jam. Just by dialling in the temperture. You can even match espresso to bacon and eggs. Its a scary machine. Im an artist barista and i dont look into the science of coffee much, but the synesso has changed my point of view.
    and this is one of my prime motivations for experimenting with machines and thermal stability. Currently the Faema can pull a shot at the same temp as the PID reading, and the display tracks the intrashot temp. This is very interesting, because now theres no more surfing. The ultimate tests is to see how the temp affects whats in the cup.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hey guys,

wasnt actually having a go at anyone with the hot lattes. Communication with the barista, is the key. I serve coffee at several temps. To create a relationship with the barista is very important. Long Macs for example, I have at least 12 or more ways of making them for different customers.

Thermal stability is extremely important, but flow rate is also just as important. A gentle flow rate extracts all the flavours and creates the velvet like espresso. The synesso has one of the slowest flow rates of any machine.

Funny we bring up flow rates . . .

Currently I casually work for a cinema that has a coffee machine. Although I dont work in Front of House, when I started; I noticed the grind was as course as potting mix. So I set it up nicely and got a decent shot out of the "burn box" Commercial Saeco Aroma SE 300. The next day, I came back and the super jolly was spitting out potting mix again! After some protest, I was told that the grind was made corse so to speed up delivery of coffee. GRRRR double GRRRRR!! Shit I hate that! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I know a lot of establishments do this; and it annoys the hell out of me. If youre gonna get a coffee machine and grinder (even in a cinema!), a few precious seconds of everyone’s lives can be spared for the sake of decent extraction! Id love to send back a coffee one day because I received it too quickly!

The lovely flow of the Synesso really does the trick. Has anyone used the Saeco commercial machines? Is there anything that can be done to improve them? So far I am very unimpressed with its performance regardless of the grind.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL link=1153012863/15#24 date=1153721411

Thermal stability is extremely important, but flow rate is also just as important. A gentle flow rate extracts all the flavours and creates the velvet like espresso. The synesso has one of the slowest flow rates of any machine.
    Thats really just a matter of fitting the right gicleur. I currently have 1mm jets in my BZ and the rotary pump hammers the puck. The pressure is quite low though, so there doesnt seem to too much channelling. A 0.7 mm jet is on the way and I might make up a 0.8 mm jet as well to see what works best. Once the pressure has reached its maximum, the flow jets shouldnt affect things too much, as the puck determines the flow then. Its only the initial pre-infusion period thats really important.

Id love to see how the Synesso handles things though.

Cheers,

Mark.

Does the owner or Barista of St Ali snoop around here?

if so please PM me :)

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich and Rae link=1153012863/15#27 date=1154173222
    Does the owner or Barista of St Ali snoop around here?
    Could be a lurker, but Im not sure. You could email them?
    stali@stali.com.au
    http://stali.com.au/

Should have thought of that myself ;)

I just heard something rather worrying about these machines. Apparently there are two Synessos in Towoomba and both developed pin hole leaks in the boilers. The culprit... Chloride ions in the water. Apparently, this was a new development for Synesso, as most water has a low chloride count, but not so for Towoomba...

Its a sad day when stainless steel isnt good enough. Ironically, copper would have been fine...
    Im not sure if Synesso are using a different grade of stainless now that they know about the problem.

The take home message for me was that stainless steel isnt synonymous with high quality.

With the help of google, heres a few paragraphs explaining how halides corrode the 300 series stainless steels (incl food grade 304 and 316).

"The basic resistance of stainless steel occurs because of its ability to form a protective coating on the metal surface. This coating is a "passive" film which is resistant to further "oxidation" or rusting. The formation of this film is instantaneous in an oxidizing atmosphere such as air, water, or many other fluids that contain oxygen. Once the layer has formed we say that the metal has become "passivated" and the oxidation or "rusting" rate will slow down to less than 0.002" per year (0,05 mm. per year).

Unlike aluminum or silver this passive film is invisible in stainless steel. It is due to the combining of oxygen with the chrome in the stainless to form chrome oxide which is more commonly called "ceramic". This protective oxide or ceramic coating is common to most corrosion resistant materials.

Halogen salts, especially chlorides easily penetrate this passive film and will allow corrosive attack to occur. The halogens are easy to recognize because they end in the letters "ine". Listed in order of their activity they are: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine. These are the same chemicals that will penetrate Teflon and cause trouble with Teflon coated or encapsulated O-Rings and/ or similar coated materials. Chlorides are one of the most common elements in nature and if that isnt bad enough they are also soluble, active ions; the basis for good electrolytes, the best conditions for corrosion or chemical attack."

Geez :o,

That might make that new Isomac that Chris has just posted info about http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1154230388, something to be considered very carefully in conjunction with the composition of ones water supply :-?,

Mal.

Re: Rolls Royce & Ferrari of machines - Synesso

Well, I doubt that much of the water path in the Isomac is SS - most would be brass. Only the pretty exterior would be SS.

That stuff about halogens makes sense but I thought that the concentration of chloride would be pretty low for drinkable water. Then again, having used puratabs when camping....

I guess the issue is the temperature combining with the chloride ions to attack the SS iron through the*protective oxide in a short period. Id be surprised if this was an issue at room temp else all manner of SS items in Toowoomba would be disintegrating *(or maybe they are....)

Greg

Yep, it seems the tolerable chloride concentration drops dramatically as the temperature rises. Even marine grade 316 SS is only resistant at room temp. Im not sure what Synesso use, but the description I got was pin hole fissures opening in the boiler, which is characteristic of pitting corrosion.

My guess is that most drinking water is probably fine, but it would be worth checking.

The new Isomac that Mal mentioned has a SS boiler and HX unit. Cimbali also have SS boilers, so Im guessing that this was an extreme case.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1153012863/30#30 date=1154322191
    ...Apparently there are two Synessos in Towoomba...
    Dang! :o Where/who? Respect to Toowoomba, that is alot of money to drop on equipment.
    (of course , real shame about both the boilers being corroded, but respect nonetheless)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1153012863/30#33 date=1154330652
    The new Isomac that Mal mentioned has a SS boiler and HX unit. Cimbali also have SS boilers, so Im guessing that this was an extreme case.
    Oops - my bad. The Isomac would be gutted too!!

WTF do they use SS in this application for, though? The poor thermal transfer would reduce boiler heat loss a poofteenth but it would also make the HX required to be longer or immersed in a greater amount of water.

SS is cheaper than copper so is that the reasoning??

Greg

When I was picking up some beans from Hazel de los Reyes (NSW Barista Champ) yesterday she showed me a 2 group Synesso shed just got in and invited me back on Saturday for a demo.
    Maybe Ill get a chance to play with it.

I got a chance to make myself a flat white on the Synesso.
    The shot poor looked great (sorry no pic).
    Hazel helped swirl my milk a little and tried to teach me to poor a rosetta but Im pretty hopeless.

Although I did manage a very chunky leaf on my morning coffee before I left for Hazels.

I can say now that Ive had an Australian Barista champion make me coffee. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1153012863/30#37 date=1155969011
    I can say now that Ive had an Australian Barista champion make me coffee. :-)
    I can too! :D Though it wasnt Hazel that did mine. It kind of is a great conversation starter, isnt it?

....Did I tell you I had a coffee made by the Australian Barista Champion?.... ;D

Anyway, just read this and saw that someone did mention that there are two Synessos in Toowoomba. Funnily enough they are in the same place, a cafe called The Angel Cafe.

Toowoombas quite the coffee place too these days I see. ::trundles off to the "Favourite Cafe" thread to post something about Toowoombas cafes in there..::

Ill do what I do now with my Sunny 6900, use filtered water from our purifier, which is all Ive ever used in my machine, owing to the water quality in Dubbo, should see our taps, so the machine only gets pure water and gee, it sure helps in the taste of the coffee...did an experiment with one tank of tap water to the next with filtered water, and the coffee flavour was better, as far as to say, the tap water made the coffee taste a little sour, but not the filtered water.

Forgot to ask, does the Synesso have hard plumbing as standard or add on?