Thread: faema due-s opv valve leaking

faema due-s opv valve leaking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey everyone this is my first post on here and im sorry for that ive been creeping around for some time now.* I bought a two group* faema due smart s, a* 2002 model i believe for 60 bucks at auction a few months ago, ive been working on it as a stress relief project in between classes at school.

i tore the entire machine apart and cleaned it up changed the group head gaskets , de scaled the boiler and re assembled with a few cosmetic modifications.

other than a few loose fitting leaks the machine made good with a absolute noob tear down.

i am however having a few problems.*

my opv valve, (small thing near manual fill paddle with little drain on the bottom and large set screw on the side)* leaks,* with the machine off and just household water pressure it might have a drip every minute or so, however with the machine on and coming up to temperature the drip increases quite rapidly.*

so what i was wondering is :* is there a seal in it that i can replace,* can i tighten the set screw, or do i have a pressure problem that is making it drip in the first place.* as this is my first machine i dont want to change or adjust something that will compromise the safety of the system.

PS: see my homepage link if you would like to see all the re build pics, i can make a new thread sometime if there is enough interest.

Re: faema due-s opv valve leaking

Is this the valve you are referring to?

On my machine (Faema E98 Compact A1) it is the OPV and was leaking when the pump was running, this ended up being due to the pump pressure adjuster on the pump being jammed (rotary pump), have a look at this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1307593822

If itís the same setup as mine, this OPV needs to be adjusted to just drip at a pump pressure of 12bar, then you readjust the pump pressure to give you a brew pressure of 9bar.

On my machine the OPV is simply a rubber seal with a spring backing, the big slotted screw adjusts the pre load on the spring and hence the pressure the valve starts "leaking" water.

Cheers

mine is very similar to that, my pump adjust is on the bottom of the machine, not a very friendly place to put it.* *I adjusted the pstat to regulate at about 1.1 bar as it was a bit low probaly from being knocked around or what ever.

my brew pressure is pretty low, only about 5 bar right now just running the filter with no coffe in it.*

how do i know when ive hit 12 bar on the opv?

You need a PF with a pressure gauge. I made my own, used a gauge I had, got a fitting from pirtek to allow me to screw a tee piece onto the PF where the spout normally goes, with gauge on one end and needle valve on the other, although the needle valve is not really necessary.

How do you know what your brew pressure is now? I presume your machine has a brew gauge? If so, you can use that gauge and fit it to your PF (but you will have to obviously blank off the pipe/fitting where you remove the gauge), just check its accuracy with a known gauge to make sure its not significantly out of whack.

Cheers

my due has a dual p guage, boiler p and brew p. guage is brand new so im assumeing accurate. My brew pressure is running about 5.5 bar with just the filter basket it right now and no coffe.

i havent figured out the adjustment on the pump yet becuase its three collars on the bottom of the pump and i dont know which one to adjust or even how to get at them yet.

It also depends a bit on where it gets it pressure source from, if its new though, you would not expect it to be so far out, although the difference is getting close to what the breville DB guys are reporting (if you are getting actual 9bar brew pressure). I would stick a PF gauge on and test it to be sure, it will also tell you what 9 bar at the PF corresponds to on your machines gauge.

Do you have a pic of the pump head?

Cheers

here is a bad phone pic, the large nut thing on the bottom of the pump is the pressure adjust i think but the whole thing turns so i need to find another wrench i think to break the two collars apart to make an adjustment.

the opv valve is in front with the big set screw.*

il try to get a picture of just the bottom adjustment thingy next.

Yep, looks like its the thing on the bottom that adjusts the pump pressure, looks almost identical to mine (but orientated 180 degrees out), and the OPV looks the same/similar. Have a look at my thread link above, I have pics of the "inside" of the adjuster, mine was stuck and I just cleaned it up and seems to be working fine now.

You can unscrew the OPV and check the seal inside. Its just a rubber disk backed by a spring. You will probably need to loosen the little grub screw I can see on the side of the OPV in your pic before you can adjust, the grub screw was missing on my OPV.

Cheers

i read your other thread, nice picture, i will attempt to remove the entire thing today, now that i know what the different parts are. mine will be ok to get at when i take the main water line off.

i had the opv valve apart once already my worry is that i may have under/over tightened it when i put it back together

Once you are able to measure brew pressure, just do what I did and adjust the opv to start to drip at 12 bar, then reset brew pressure back to 9 bar. You really need an accurate way of measuring the pressures so your OPV is set correctly as its a failsafe if the pump pressure goes sky high, which is actually what the issue was on mine initiallyand why the OPV was bleeding whenever the pump was running.

Can you remove a panel on the bottom of your machine to get to the pump pressure adjuster? Otherwise, if you can access with spanners etc, it might be high enough off the floor to remove the adjuster, mine didnt have much clearance above it but came out ok, have a look at my pics to judge distances. It would save you undoing the plumbing etc.

Cheers

mine has a hole in the bottom so i might be able to get a socket in there , or the pump has a quick release bracket i can take the flex lines off and take the whole thing out.

i took it out it was stuck slightly, i cleaned it up and put it back in, from the whole way turned out the pump gauge was reading 5 bars just running water through an empty portafilter.

i turned the bolt in the whole way and got the output pressure to about 7 bars but thats as high as it went. do i need coffee in the portafilter, is that what im doing wrong , or my pump starting to go?

Does the silver bit move inside the brass bit, that was stuck in mine.

You need resistance for the pump to generate pressure, not free flow as it is doing now. You really need a PF gauge to set the pressure correctly for both the OPV and brew pressure, otherwise you will just be guessing, might as well do it properly. Greg Pullman used to "rent" one out. Are you in Perth, you can borrow mine.

Or if you know your gauge on the machine is correct (reading on this forum they generally tend read higher pressure than you get at the PF) use that to set it up, use a blind basket.

You are almost there!!

Cheers

I just saw this and the PM about it. You fellas are all over it. Just rent GPs guage. Cheers

well after a break for some out of town work im back home again.

after doing some more playing around i believe that my pump is just worn out, the best i seem to be able to get out of it is 7.5 bar, and thats with 3 bar incoming water pressure.

I know that the pump is a bolt on procon pump but i dont know what to look for for a replacement in terms of the gph.

what is the recommended gph for a two group machine ?

Cant tell you GPH but when I wrecked mine (my own fault) I bought a new procon from Pedro at Coffeeparts (site sponsor). You just need to tell him the configuration - strap on etc and a photo usually is the go and he will send it. They are not cheap but you would expect it to last pretty much forever at home.

Cheers