Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mischa

Thread: Re: Anyone for warm coffee ???

Re: Anyone for warm coffee ???

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    First up, throw the thermometer away. It is a useless piece of kit unless the operator has the requisite expertise.

If the machines pressure gauge indicates that the pressure rises to around 1.1 bars and stops, and maybe drops down to 0.9 bars or maybe slightly lower then it starts to rise again, then ALL IS OK and the machine is operating within its designed parameters.

Make coffee and enjoy instead of worryng.

If your cappuccinos and other milk based coffees are not as hot as you get elsewhere, its because you arent steaming the milk up to as hot a temperature as others are. If you want it hotter, steam your milk for longer. That is what sets the overall temperature of the complete "coffee", nothwithstanding what anyone thinks may be the "correct" temperature to serve milk coffees at. If you want them hotter, then make them hotter!

Hope that helps,
    A.

As per above, just steam your milk longer.
    backyardbean likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E435146474113220 link=1326585891/0#0 date=1326585890
    I pre heat the group head hot (without basket)
    David, welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

I heat the basket and the portafilter by flushing it while in the group head just before dosing it with coffee and tamping it. Then I flush water through the group head into the cup just before installing the dosed portafilter. This preheats everything that comes into contact with the coffee drink during and after brewing.

I use a thermometer while frothing. It has a red line between 65 and 70c. I stop the steam at 65c. It will heat up more as bubbles in the foam burst and release steam. If I steam past 65, the milk gets a slightly burnt taste to me.

Many baristas use their hand to judge the right temp. I donít consider myself as being a barista. I am just a home coffee roaster, brewer and drinker.

I do brew some coffees for friends.

Barry.

Youre all right. I dont consider myself a barista but I was taught to feel the jug until you cant stand it any more and that was supposed to be in the zone. When I checked with the thermometer it was only 50-55 degrees at that point. Ive been shutting it off too early. Went by the thermometer to 70 degrees and thats it. All good

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 777A687F7E782A1B0 link=1326585891/3#3 date=1326612838
    Youre all right.* I dont consider myself a barista but I was taught to feel the jug until you cant stand it any more and that was supposed to be in the zone.* When I checked with the thermometer it was only 50-55 degrees at that point.* Ive been shutting it off too early.* Went by the thermometer to 70 degrees and thats it. All good
    Good stuff David,

When your hands become hospitality rated, 65oC will be no problem whatsoever!* ;D

Good to see that youre sorted.