Thread: La Marzocco 15 Portafilter with rubber handle

La Marzocco 15 Portafilter with rubber handle

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Anyone know if these are available in Australia? Pretty sure they are in the US ******************* but Allpress say the "lion" portafilter with rubber handle is only available in the straight angle variety. :(

Would it be worth getting one shipped over, are they really that good?

BJ

NON-Sponsor reference removed in accordance with CoffeeSnobs Policy,
    Mal.

Re: La Marzocco 15 Portafilter with rubber handle

Quote Originally Posted by beanjuice link=1170423670/0#0 date=1170423670
    Anyone know if these are available in Australia?

BJ
    BJ,

Firstly, promotion of other than site sponsor suppliers on CoffeeSnobs is a no-no! :-[

But you will find a similar PF here:

http://www.coffeeparts.com/mar/mar1.html

Have you got a LM machine? The only compatible machines (based on info re naked porta filters) are Marzocco, Faema, ECM Giotto / Veneziano, VBM, La Scala Butterfly, ExpoBar Brewtus

So if you havent got one of those.... it probably wont fit :(

Gaggia requires a different bottomless PF (but LM baskets are OK)

TC

I have a used twice coffeeparts LM 15 deg with deeeeeep 18g basket and rubber handle which gets no use....Id be happy to sell it....

2mcm

OK thanks for the info but I was wanting an original La Marzocco. Hey I may not be able to afford a GS3 but at least I can have one of their portafilters! I am sure that lion will really add something (intangible or otherwise) to the cup quality. :o

I have also heard that drinking ristrettos out of Illy cups really tastes better. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by beanjuice link=1170423670/0#3 date=1170562527
    OK thanks for the info but I was wanting an original La Marzocco.

beanjuice,

You still havent answered what you intend to use it on..... It will only fit on a few machines - not all commercial PFs are the same EXTERNAL size or lug size.

Or is it just for decoration?

JavaB
    Even for decoration would be ok but no, please see updated sig

2mcm
    how much do you want for the pf?

Ah....

All becomes clear! Enjoy. :)

The LM portafilters are, IMHO, the best portafilters in the world. Every single little detail oozes quality and thought. However, I struggle to believe that the portafilter itself actually contributes anything much to the resultant cup. If there is any "improvement," it would be that the very deep bowl allows you to use a very deep basket.

The LM PF should fit most 58mm groups, except gaggia and sunbeam, but beware that the lugs are thicker than most, so you might need to change the gasket. On the Mavers, for example, the portafilter locks in to about the 7 o clock position. To get it to look in at 6 o clock woudl require either filing down the lugs or putting in an 8mm gasket, maybe. Of course, a thinner gasket will mean that other portafilters lock in further towards the right.

Anyone that sells LM should be able to get the portafilters in for you, but I have no idea what they will charge you.

Cheers,

Luca

Thanks for the feedback Luca

The LM portafilters are, IMHO, the best portafilters in the world.
    Do you mean the 15 rubber handle portafilter or any LM portafilter? I am wondering if its worth importing the 15 LM pfs. Do you think they have much advantage over the straight handle LM pfs?

I struggle to believe that the portafilter itself actually contributes anything much to the resultant cup.
    O ye of little faith!

BJ

beanjuice,

Id second what luca said above - the portafilter itself has little, if any, impact on the quality of the end product....

It is just a block of brass (in the case of an LM PF - a beautifully crafted block of brass..... Its contribution is to hold the basket.... which most brands PFs do very well, to contribute thermal mass (hence stability) to the group temp - again all commercial PFs would be similar in that regard....

If it allows a deeper basket - that would be beneficial (but thats not unique to LM)....... the factors which make LM (arguably) superior to other machines are well before the PF....

So if you want bragging rights (why not?) then it will certainly make a difference.... but in the cup - nope!!

Many people get superior "in cup" results from naked PFs.... even though the thermal mass is less.... I assume it is because there is less interference with the crema before reaching the cup (and you can see if you havent dosed and tamped correctly).

Does anyone know if this la marzocco 15 degree angle portafilter will fit on bezzera b2009? Machine has bezzera proprietary group head.

TC
    Nope- no go...

TOK
    Simple Call the Bezzera importer (who I believe is also a site sponsor) and ask him if he can provide an angled group handle for your machine. Oh and dont get hung up on brand names....its just an angled group handle for your machine.....if there is one, the Bezzera importer should have it.

ive never seen LM handles that ARENT angled....