Thread: Cimbali group head question

Cimbali group head question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Finally got some time to continue stripping my m30.

I have finally got to the point of removing the groups. First one I pulled off is here:

sorry not the best photo though.

Re: Cimbali group head question

I have a question regarding this pipe that goes into the heat exchanger. It appears to be rubber as it is flexible, although a bit hard to tell with the build up.

refer to the two photos

another

Now I think the pipe connects through to the fitting in the photo below. my question is will it simply pull out? I was going to bath the whole think in citric acid but was thinking i should remove the rubber pipe first.

any thoughts

I seem to recall the HX pipe is PTFE in the Juniors. Not sure about yours. In any case, a soak in citric acid wont hurt it and youll see what its made of. If it is bent, then it might be best to get a new one, as I remember a post by Ken Fox on the HB forum (Ken has two Cimbali Juniors) that one of his HX tubes was bent and that he was seeing very different behaviours as a consequence. Now maybe hes being anal about it (because thats the sorta guy he is) but for peace of mind it may be best to return it to as-new spec.

Cheers,

Mark.

thanks

I might do that. Will give it a soak tonight and see. it is semi flexible now so not sure if that was how it started.

removal of the group itself wasnt too hard, but it took ages to remove steam arms, cup warmer and other frame pieces to allow the group removal. the bit that is proving to be difficult is the removal of the gland fittings into the group. there is major scale buildup throughout the group so some of the fittings are basically welded on.

The flexible hose off the grouphead in the HX pulled off easily on mine and appeared to be PTFE. Id toss those old ones and source some new ones for the couple of bucks itll cost ya from someone such as Coffee Parts.

My tubes had a bend due to the angles involved so as to put the exit end pointing at the bottom center of the closed end of the HX. This is not the very tip of the HX, but rather just in front of it and is the lowest point of the HX when installed.

In the attached picture you can see one of my tubes. Notice the right end of it is slightly smaller than the other. That is the end that inserts into the grouphead.

Java "WooHoo Cimbali!" phile

thanks just what i was after. although I never would have thought my tupe was clear. i assumed it was black by the look of it.

How is the rebuild going, Clinto? Any further development?

--Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1174280605/0#8 date=1175069278
    How is the rebuild going, Clinto? Any further development?

--Robusto
    Slowly

Im overseas at the moment and have been away for last week. Plus it is at a factory unit so can sometimes be hard to get away from home to play with it. Wife doesnt quite understand...

the bits are back on the bench as I didnt want to leave them soaking while i was away. they still need a longer bath i think. Scale build up was farily bad. It turns out that the pipe i asked about initially was clear once all the slime and scale was removed and it does pull out.

I have since removed the other two groups and they are about on par in terms of build up.

Also the element appears to be one single clump of buildup so probably explains why it burnt out.

I will take some more photos of results when I get home and post them up.

Looks like a major clean-up/rebuild project awaits your homecoming
    --Robusto