Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: La Pavoni Bar T2

La Pavoni Bar T2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The Pav is has been running for a few weeks now. I still consider it on probation and am coming to grips with its ideosyncracies. I still have to replace the anti-vacuum valve with a new one. However, the way I use this machine makes this less of an inconvenience than actually shutting it down and replacing it (I have the replacement already). All in all, with the purchase cost and the restoration costs, this machine has cost me under $1000. As it has two E61 (variant) groups, its like having two Giottos side by side ;-)

Now its not the prettiest of machines, even with the twin exposed manual E61 groups. Theres a number of plastic panels and the really crappy black plastic drip tray grills. Although at the heart of it is a very customisable HX machine.

The things I like about it is the easily removed shower screens (via a screw) and the hollow E61 variant groups. By hollow youd have to refer to the La Pavoni parts diagram *on coffeeparts.com page 6. In this design the shower screen drops off followed by the shower head which in turn fits into another hollow fitting that then fits into the bottom of the group. This part actually holds in the group gasket and makes gasket changes quite easy.

Another thing I like is the use of thermosyphon flow restrictors. These are small discs that fit into the back of the group where the thermosyphon lines connect. It is currently fitted with 3 mm restrictors. Smaller apertures will make the group cooler, while larger will make it hotter. Eventually Ill make a few up in the lathe so that I can have a set to customise the group properties.

The main draw of the manual E61 is the mechanical pre-infusion. Its really cool to hear the pre-infusion happening when you flick the lever. The sound probably comes from the flow through the jet/gicleur as the pre-infusion chamber fills. The sound is like a "swish" that ascends in pitch over about 2-3 seconds. If I source some smaller jets (say 0.6 mm), this pre-infusion period will be lengthened further. Currently Im using 0.7 mm jets.

Steaming wasnt such a huge difference compared to the BZ35. I was already running a 4 hole tip on that so the swap over has me making nice micro-foam and thicker cappuccino quality foam quite easily. I like it. One of the things thats hard to describe is the feel of the steam and water taps. These commercial valves actually close themselves. Its really cool they way they operate.

Lastly, at the pressurestat setting Im currently using, (switching off at just under 1 bar), the cooling flushes are only about 100 -150 ml. Thats very easy to manage. I may increase the boiler pressure a bit to make it easier to hit higher temperatures. I really havent done any work on this machines thermal performance yet. I have to get the third portafilter converted to a naked, so that I can use my thermo-filter-like attachment.

Anyway heres some pics of the beast,

A different view showing the cheap plastic panel and a missing lower panel. The trusty La Cimbali Cadet grinder is sitting next to the machine.

OK, so heres a part of my lair. This is the table that holds the Pav and an experimental machine that Im working on. Theres quite a lot of parts visible as well. Im going to clean up this room a bit and move some of the spares to my dingy workshop (area 52).
    Otherwise what will guests think...

Re: La Pavoni Bar T2

Sparky, methinks you are underselling La Pav. She looks pretty pretty. I think the exposed chrome groups reflecting in the chrome backsplash panel look superb.

I see you use the same timer as me -- I use it for timing roasts, extractions, water debits, elapsed time between pressurestat KLUNKS, element-on cycles and on it goes.

But back to the Pav, it really merits a more majestic setting befitting its status.

--Robusto

Wow Sparky, that experimental machine looks mysterious - is that wired to... pick up vthe intrastellar vibrations from the godzone shot controller?

The experimental machine uses a PID controlled Sunbeam EM6900 thermoblock, which is sitting on top of the machine in this picture, and a PID controlled Silvia boiler to preheat the water fed into the thermoblock. That way I can experiment with the thermoblock and see just how it copes with different pre-heat levels. So far it doesnt seem to need any pre-heating, but for better temperature control, I suspect preheating might improve things a bit. Im still tweaking with the group and thermocouple mounts, so the machine isnt running at present. It will be soon though.

As a side bonus the twin PIDs will be accurate enough to stabilize the temperature to the point that the machine will be able to detect gravity waves as small thermal fluctuations. The machine will be wired to *the internet and will interface to the LIGO experiment to be used as an additional crosscheck on their data. * ;)

Cheers,

Mark.

Ive heard that theres a mod floating around out there to convert your portafilters into packetfilters for when closed cell foam isnt enough of a firewall. ;D

Java "Whistling aimlessly while staring off into space." phile

wow, im not entirely sure wot price range your experimental machine will fit into, but it sure sounds extreme! What chassis is it encased in? did you make it yourself?

....And theres a rumour doing the rounds that it willl also interface to the synchrotron, though I believe the eggheads there have reservations about their resolution being good enough for the Twin-PID Experimental Coffee Module.

--Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175222893/0#6 date=1175500604
    ....And theres a rumour doing the rounds that it willl also interface to the synchrotron, though I believe the eggheads there have reservations about their resolution being good enough for the Twin-PID Experimental Coffee Module.

--Robusto
    Yes, .001C is just not good enough. ::)

The frame is from an old Bezzera Minibar. Similar to the one Mal is currently restoring.

The goal is to have a stable and settable brew temperature to go searching for the red crema zone. Im no fan of calibrated flushing of HX machines. Sure they make a pretty good coffee, but once youve driven a temperature stable machine like a La Marzocco, youll never want to go back.

My two options for a stable machine are my Faema Family and the Sunbeam. The Faema is currently awaiting some further mods as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

Update on the Pav.

Ive set the pressurestat to 1 bar. My pressurestat has a wide dead band of about 0.25 bar, so the average pressure is closer to 0.9 bar. This setting is pretty good. It requires only a modest flush of maybe 150 ml initially and only about 50-70 ml (if that) for successive shots. The shots are coming out pretty damn nice as well. Ive at least gotten back to where I was with the BZ. Ive also been brewing at higher temperature than Id been using before, with excellent results. The crema is coming out darker with very pronounced tiger striping. When I keep the mouse and rats tails at bay, the shots are pretty tasty. Im still searching for that really red crema that Id stumbled across earlier on. It may mean another tweak of the pressurestat to give me a bit more head room to play with. Nevertheless, I did a run of three shots today and by the third, Id gotten a nice darkish crema with redish tiger striping that tasted quite smooth with no grasssiness or sourness and none of that nasty bitterness. Those few red crema shots have been sweeter though, so Im not there yet.

Ive been playing with another feature of the E61 levetta group and that is extra pre-infusion. This works by starting the brew process by flipping the lever, then about 3-4 sec from the start, before the shot starts to flow, switching to the middle position of the lever for about 2 sec. This position closes the brew valve without opening the exhaust valve, so the pressure is given some additional time to soak the puck. Then I just flick the lever back to the brew position and it continues on its merry way. This is one of the interesting things with full manual control. Im not sure if it will be beneficial, but at least its another thing to muck around with.

The bottom line is that the Pav is performing at least as well as the BZ. Sure its overkill for a home machine, but this is the EXTREME machine category.

I also played around with my experimental machine again today. The mods I did were to remove a large chunk of metal from the group adaptor flange to minimise the heat loss, and move the temperature control point closer to the thermoblock/group junction. It did improve things a bit, but the brew temperature still increased during the shot. My feeling is that either I use two set points for the PID. One to keep the group at the appropriate temperatre and the other that is activated when the brew button is switched is the required brew temperature. Otherwise, the only solution will be to independently heat the group. This is probably the best option and will require resurrecting the Minibar boiler and group.

All good fun.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175222893/0#9 date=1176120979
    Update on the Pav.

(edited)
    Ive been playing with another feature of the E61 levetta group and that is extra pre-infusion. This works by starting the brew process by flipping the lever, then about 3-4 sec from the start, before the shot starts to flow, switching to the middle position of the lever for about 2 sec. This position closes the brew valve without opening the exhaust valve, so the pressure is given some additional time to soak the puck. Then I just flick the lever back to the brew position and it continues on its merry way. This is one of the interesting things with full manual control. Im not sure if it will be beneficial, but at least its another thing to muck around with.
    Its a more romantic notion, standing by the machine, pulling and pushing levers, exercising control, subjugating the brew to your will.

Mmmm... I think that beats extending the index finger and pushing a soft-touch button.

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175222893/0#10 date=1176190393
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175222893/0#9 date=1176120979
    Update on the Pav.

(edited)
    Its a more romantic notion, standing by the machine, pulling and pushing levers, exercising control, subjugating the brew to your will. *

Mmmm... I think that *beats extending the index finger and pushing a soft-touch button.

-Robusto
    Just dont get distracted.
    I did the other day when trying something similar.

I flipped the lever to the half way point and intended to leave it there for a few seconds before I moved it to full on.
    My daughter rang and distracted me for about a minute.
    By the time I got back to the machine it was already dripping and as I hadnt even put a cup in place I have no idea how long it had been going.
    Assuming (I know I shouldnt have) it had only just started, I moved the lever right up and learned what the term "gusher" means. *;D
    Worst shot Ive ever pulled.

The strange thing was that the puck showed signs of channelling but I thought preinfusion allowed the puck to gently expand before being hit with the full extraction pressure.
    I suppose it might just have been a bad tamp or was already over extracted.

Over-extracted would be an understatement for that one.

-Robusto

Yesterday I just noticed a great way for estimating the rebound (ie how fast the temperature in the heat exchanges recovers back to steam boiler temperature). After a reasonable flush (say 200-300 ml), you can see the cold water heating up before your eyes by looking at the brew pressure gauge. As the water heats, it expands and the pressure increases until the expansion valve opens to relieve it. Its interesting to watch and you could probably even get quantitative if youre serious enough.

Now to dust off this old thread. While the Pav has been put into work horse mode, Im still tweaking and adjusting (according to taste). I raised the pstat to 1.1 bar a while back and thought things were well. However, after a more serious espresso tasting session with a mate, we came to the conclusion that the Pav was brewing too hot. So I started adjusting back down to a more reasonable level. I stopped at around 0.9 bar (element switch off pressure) and all seemed much better. At this pressure there is virtually no super hot water exiting the group. This is at odds with my old BZ35, which had a definite "water dance", requiring a well timed flush to hit the target temp. The Pav seems to defy that. Today I finally got around to doing some crude thermologging, using a calibrated TC over the lip of the basket. I had a few shots worth of stale coffee to clear out of the grinder, so it seemed an opportune time.

It seems the taste bubs dont lie. The brew temp is virtually flat after about 10 sec (before which there is a hump of about 1 oC). And the target temp... 94 oC. So within the range of acceptable brewing temps... just. This target temp seems to be invariant regardless of the amount I flush. I guess its those huge 300 ml HX tubes. As I said in another thread, this machine is designed to mix cold and hot water to get the proper brew temp. This means the machine hardly needs a flush, but it also means that its hard to change the brew temp except by altering the pstat... For commercial situations, this is fine. However, when the beans are different on a week to week basis, this is a pain... However, I have a solution in mind.

Ill post the 3 shot series up soon.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hey Sparky,...

You know how much I am paying attention to this thread!! ;) Thanks for the update!
    Might have to get you around to my place once mine is plumbed in, up and running!!! ::)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175222893/0#14 date=1185861196
    Now to dust off this old thread. While the Pav has been put into work horse mode, Im still tweaking and adjusting (according to taste). I raised the pstat to 1.1 bar a while back and thought things were well. However, after a more serious espresso tasting session with a mate, we came to the conclusion that the Pav was brewing too hot. So I started adjusting back down to a more reasonable level. I stopped at around 0.9 bar (element switch off pressure) and all seemed much better. At this pressure there is virtually no super hot water exiting the group. This is at odds with my old BZ35, which had a definite "water dance", requiring a well timed flush to hit the target temp. The Pav seems to defy that. Today I finally got around to doing some crude thermologging, using a calibrated TC over the lip of the basket. I had a few shots worth of stale coffee to clear out of the grinder, so it seemed an opportune time.

It seems the taste bubs dont lie. The brew temp is virtually flat after about 10 sec (before which there is a hump of about 1 oC). And the target temp... 94 oC. So within the range of acceptable brewing temps... just. This target temp seems to be invariant regardless of the amount I flush. I guess its those huge 300 ml HX tubes. As I said in another thread, this machine is designed to mix cold and hot water to get the proper brew temp. This means the machine hardly needs a flush, but it also means that its hard to change the brew temp except by altering the pstat... For commercial situations, this is fine. However, when the beans are different on a week to week basis, this is a pain... However, I have a solution in mind.

Ill post the 3 shot series up soon.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Hi Sparky- interesting about the Bez and the water dance. My Bez even at 1 bar has a very long water dance flush but the Boema has a minimal one even up to 1.5 bar (I leave it at 1.2). As you found, it is the brew temp you adjust for on the Pav like on the Boema though (I imagine) a very different hx.

Hi Telemaster. The BZ35 HX had a volume about 1/5 that of the Pav. So its pretty hard to flush the Pav down, whereas the BZ35 could easily be controlled by flushing.

So here are the thermologs. Not too shabby given I wasnt even aiming for the same temp.

Cheers,

Mark.

one degree drop- very nice
    Brett

Those are a nice set of numbers Sparky. (Are you sure the Pavoni is not a Grimac in disguise?)

-Robusto

Hey mate...thats a nice looking machine. Its got a lot of character.

Nice brew data. I found some bitterness in some shots and the need for cooling shots in the Faema when it was cranked up. I have it sitting at about .7-.95 bar now and it only needs a cooling shot after several hours of sitting...and then only say 100mls. It is now producing consistently very sweet and smooth shots with very dark crema and tiger striping - It was you and JavaB that suggested getting the boiler pressure down. Good to hear that your having success with your baby Mark.

Cheers mate.

cool graphs! how much would a datalogger cost to aquire?

I have my boiler set at 1.0bar, at the start of a session I flush 200ml, grind, dose, tamp, flush 70ml, wait 10 seconds, pull shot...

I am getting nice results, but I would like to see exactly what the temp is doing within my shot...

Cheers, Mark

Gday MS,

Depends on how much you are prepared to spend.... Most CSers are using this one but there are others with more sophistication and convenience such as this one or this one, and then you start looking at professional/laboratory hardware that can cost thousands :o. All the best mate,

Mal.

I use the QM1538 which cost about $50 from Jaycar. The RS232 is a bit flakey, but works most of the time. Also the software isnt too flexible and only samples once per second. The actual DMM outputs a value every 0.4 sec, so you can go faster. I use my own software to read the DMM at this faster rate.

The thermocouple is a K-type from DSE, but the plug is a banana type from a Jaycar thermocouple. I just rewire the plugs with the DSE thermocouples (which are teflon coated types). The thermocouple is also calibrated against a better known thermometer to achieve better accuracy. Otherwise it reads about 3 C too high.

Cheers,

Mark.

Just added it to my christmas list!

Cheers, MArk

OK, Sparky,...Robusto,..Mal,.. *Java... * any of you ultra experienced CSers out there,.. I need some help, advice, clarification etc etc....

Me, being slightly mechanical, but not overly so, long time lover of coffee, but only brand new to really experimenting with Coffee Snobbery,... *I have a problem! :-?

Why am I hi-jacking Sparkys thread? *Well,.. because, perhaps rather stupidly, I bought a machine the same as Sparkys Pav. It might be a little beyond my skill at the moment, but nevertheless, I got mine up and running on the weekend... and generally I LOVE IT!
    Generally the machine was clean inside and out, and so I gave her a spruce up, (pulled down steam valves etc and cleaned internals wher I could - all turned out damned clean anyway!) and thought Id temperarilly plumb her in with hoses, and hook her up to see where we were at - in terms of working order. A good mate is an electrician, so he was going to come up to fit me a 20amp outlet. *Before he did, I disconnected one of the three elements (I paid attention to Sparkys earlier posts) and chagned the plug to fire her up on a standard outlet - before we went to any bother! *Checked for leaks - ALL good. *Flushed out the boiler,.... let her heat up,.. and started to play with brewing. *After about 3 or 4 attemps, I got a reasonable shot, with quite a nice flavour. *Anyway... *Ill cut to the chase.....
    I am now at a point where I am brewing coffee on the Pav to at least the standard that I was before on my little Imat Mokita. (this is QUITE the upgrade!!!) I know there is a LOT more to come... . but I need to address a couple things first.... *this is where you experts come in! ::)

- One of my groups doesnt work. *:-? :( The lever feels fine,.. pump kicks in on the switch,.. but VERY little water reaches the showerscreen. *No water comes out the bypass spout either. *I have NFI where to start!! Brew Valve? *Like I said... I have no clue for this one! :-/

- Preasure stat is (I think) set too high. No matter of flushing will cease the water dance, and the guage on the front of the Pav shows a boiler pressure of about 1.3~1.4 when elements shut off. *They come back on at 1~1.1. *I can recognise the pressure stat, but do you guys adjust by trial and error using the guage on the machine? *Or is there a more acurate measure? *Id say she was wound up for the busy cafe life she had before retiring to my place! *:)

Thats about all I need to work on right now...... *I am REALLY enjoying tinkering with her,... *she looks fantastic!!!!

Thanks in advance,...

Mark.

Welcome to the Extreme Pav thread! Theres plenty of room for two or more...

Problem 1: There is no brew valve apart from the manual lever. The fact that the pump engages is a good thing. The fact that the other group works is even better. My bet then is that the small jet is blocked. This is located on the top of the group under the uppermost nut. Id take out the entire jet and housing and check for scale. It may look nice on the outside, but inside could be a very different matter.

Have a look at the coffee parts exploded group diagram and youll see the jet and a mesh filter usually sit in the top of the group. Either the filter is quite blocked or the jet is blocked. Either way its an easy fix once you open it up.

As for the Pstat.... Bloody hell what sort of drink were they making?! I have set my Pstat to switch off at 0.9 bar and on again at about 0.7 bar. That way theres no spitting or hissing and the temp is close to perfect without much of a flush. For the dark roasted Ethiopian I flush maybe 100 -150 ml, but for most this isnt even necessary. The Sirai Pstat is not sensitive at all. It will take many turns to lower the Pstat. I suggest one backing off about 2-3 tuens and see where that gets you. Then tweak from there.

I find this machine is so stable and easily repeatable that I dont really have to do much apart from a small flush then lock and brew. So the most demanding part is dosing and tamping consistently. The machine takes care of itself.

I hope you get it working. It sounds like youll be using it the way it was designed with all three elements and fully plumbed. That will make it a brilliant machine to work with.

Enjoy.

Mark.

Ahhh,.. yes,.. I see the jigger you are talking about!
    Soo... Ill shut her down tonight,... and adjust pressure stat down a few turns,.... and dismantle the top of the group head and have a squiz. How depressurzed should it be before I undo that big arse nut at the top??

A prime safety rule to apply when dealing with any pressurized system is to have it all at ambient pressure and temperature before doing any disassembly. Disconnecting from the power source is of course another one. :)

Java "No ZAPS allowed!" phile

Makes sense... I had kinda figured! Thanks Javaphile....
    Oh,.. and I always disconnect before opening!

M.

Well done Zedd, sounds like youre in for a good adventure with the La Pavoni.

It does also sound like a blockage somewhere as Sparky says, could be broken off piece of scale, or other gunk which collects in the mains supply.

As for the pressure: My machine is also set at .7 bar (element comes on) .9 bar (element goes off).

I find that pressure ideal. Virtually no cooling flush, and plenty of steaming power for my needs.

THanks! :)

OK,.. blocked jet found. Little bit of scale on the mushroom? .. but not really too bad. Ive seen much worse. Still I cleaned it off, and noticed that there is quite an amount of chrome missing from the mushroom, so shes obviously been scoured pretty hard previously. I greased the oring and put her back together. I pulled the top of the working group head too, just to check the scale situation, and found it in similar condition. Same treatment there. Overall not too bad.

So,.. my L/H group (that was not working) was now getting water flow... so I fired everything back up. Ive adjusted the p-stat down, and its now shutting of at around 1.1... so further adjustment is necesary, and will occur tonight. L/H group gets water flow to the screen, however it doesnt depressurise through the spout, SO no coffee going in there. I am going to remove the bottom valve assembley tonight and have a play with that. I wasnt really up for cooling her down and etc again last night to dismantle the bottom valve. All in all,.. good progress last night,..and thank-you very much for the pointers. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

PS: I will get some pics of the setup in the kitchen soon... shes all looking so pretty! Pride of place!! ;)

Hey Guys....

Both my e61 groups have now been thoroughly overhauled, replacing all the valves and springs within them, after I found the reason for my drain valve not working was that the pin that the cam works on was almost entirely worn away! *It simply wasnt depressing the valve anymore! *Anyway,... *both group heads now work and feel fantastic!

Here are some pics of the pride of the kitchen. *BLING!!!!

Very nice. Makes my pav look like an old scrubber.... * *but I still love her

Great job Zedd [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Definitely worthy of praise..... All we need now is some photos of shots drizzling from the PF spouts or better yet, a naked PF. Excellent mate 8-),

Mal.

I dont think your pav looks like an old scrubber Sparky!

Funny you should say that Mal,.. I actually bought a naked PF from CoffeeParts last week. It was to suit a whole list of commericial machines, and stated "...and all e61 groups..." however, it shouldve said "EXCEPT La Pavoni variants, as the Pav seems to have the locking tabs lower on the PF,.. hence I cannot use it. I have to get onto Pedro and see if I can swap it for a Std Pav PF,.. that I should then be able to modify to naked.

I also do want to play around with extraction shots, as I do think of myself as a bit of a budding photographer... its simply finding the time and motivation to get the camera organised when I just need a coffee!!! :P

Bad luck with the PF but Im sure Pedro will see you right. Cant wait for the "pour" photos, sounds like there will be some elegance involved 8-). All the best mate :),

Mal.

Thats a very nice working area Zedd.

Yep, agree TG -- great to have a dedicated cafe area like that, Zedd. Very neat and handy. Looks great.

THanks guys... it is a pleasure when entertaining too,.. and is quite often the conversation piece, I might add! Some people think Im nuts,.. but when they drink the produce.. hmmmmmmmm........ ;)

My partner even printed little coffee menus at one piont,.. Caffe del Marco I had a laugh ;D

Hi guys,
    Here from Holland a picture of my gear, all working now for a few weeks and I love the Pavoni.
    I found it in a bar to be sold for Eur 100 and took it home.
    Just cleaned all and got it going......
    The Faemina form 1951 we found in a heap of Vespaparts in Italy for Eur 120 (got lucky!!)
    Cheers,
    Wasp

ans a closer up of the Faemina

And another "naked" pic

and the last one for tonight

Excellent wasp, what a terrific buy...... 8-)

Mal.

Thank you,
    Im very plesed with it!

Now, Thats a boiler! 8-)

b4b.

update: The Pav finally has a naked portafilter so I can watch the espresso slip out of the basket, draw into a viscous column and flow into the cup.... either that or get squirted in the face when it channels...
    So far so good.

Hi there. Great looking machines. I have a 1 group pavoni pub, but a bit older that those shown here. It is in need of some repairs which I plan to get into soon. The thing I am wondering is how the nickel plating inside these boilers last? Does it come off over time, or can I expect it to still be in good condition? can you descale with citric acid or does it attack the plating?

thanks, Damian.

Been a LONG time since Ive wandered aruond the CS site... Fantastic to see some more Pavs emerging. Thanks Wasp... nice cafe bar!!!

Naked is so cool, isnt it Sparky... Im suprised you have waited so long!! hehehe.

I still have to do some photos of pours.. but they will come!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast