Thread: Upcoming project!!

Upcoming project!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys thinking about buying this machine as a long term project (my first oh i feel so giddy) only have 2 photos, was wondering what the likes of Sparky, javab and robusto could tell me about her? Any input would be warmly welcome ;D

are those bits i circled the heat exchanges welded onto the boiler, i interested cause i have nerver seen a boiler like this

oh and this is it from the outside not very pretty i know but i can fix that

Re: Upcoming project!!

Looks a beauty -- nickle-plated copper? Or stainless?

What you have circled are the heat exchangers which--judging by the angle of the photo at least--- appear to terminate directly into the groups without a reduction. I cant say Im familiar with that.

Normaly the exchangers connect with the groups through much smaller pipes, whose size and length "tunes" heat retention in the groups.

Why do you say its a long-term project? Does it need much work?

--Robusto

um the reason i say it a long term project is that im quite busy atm the moment and being uni student im a bit straped for cash so any thing that need to be replaced i will have to save for :( . I took another look at the photos and in the second one it appears that there is quite a bit of distance between the exchanger and the group so maybe there is a reducer in there. Im not sure if its stainless or nickel coated these pics are all i have to go on. But coffeeparts stocks parts for these so id say im gonna grab this one.

Oh and its a 21l boiler rated at 4.8Kw made in 1994.

Segrave,

That machine looks to be in superb condition - I dont think it would require much work at all....

You are right about the heat exchangers..... they do appear to be welded which Ive never seen before.... The La Cimbali has a similar heat exchanger (like a small boiler which projects into the main boiler rather than tubes) - but that has a bolted union onto the actual group..... so you can undo the bolts and replace the heat exchanger if required.

Do you have any details of the make etc? There appears to be a plate on the left hand end of the drip tray.

I just emailed the current owner and they got back to me almost instantly with a pic of the plate

he did say the machine had a lot of cosmetic damage which im sure i can fix ;)

I think your biggest problem will be supplying power to it. Very few households have anything above a 10 amp power point, and youll need at least double that. So its a dedicated circuit back to the meter box -- and that could be your most costly expense.

But it looks to be in great condition - hopefully you wont have to pay the price for it accordingly. I was going to say three-groupers
    are farily cheap because theres not much demand for them for domestic use.... but Dennis yesterday, you today...

--Robusto

Segrave,

The good news is that CoffeeParts do have spares for these machines - but not a huge range......

There is not a lot of info I could find on them..... but that is not unusual for other than the most common machines.

The condition does appear to be excellent..... so I doubt you would need much in any case.

i was thinking if it was a setup with more than one element maybe i could cut down the power demand but running it at a lower rating. if not then i got to do what i got to do. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Segrave link=1175577767/0#8 date=1175581384
    i was thinking if it was a setup with more than one element maybe i could cut down the power demand but running it at a lower rating. if not then i got to do what i got to do. :P
    Yep, all commercials have three elements (in the one assembly).... so you can use just one..... will take longer to heat up but will enable you to use it on a "normal" power outlet.

It will be good to see yet another commercial machine going to a good home. :) :)

Hi Seagrave - if youre in Brissie that will save you $100 delivery costs. If youve not bid before, pm me and I might be able to give you some tips on winning ;)

You beat me to it. I was just about to suggest it was a Brugnetti.

It looks interesting. Im not sure how the heat exchangers are fitted. There are quite a few wierd and wonderful designs around. Anyway, just pulling it apart and having a look inside should reveal all. Its definitely a nickel plated copper boiler. Not many manufacturers use stainless steel.

Its hard to tell how good or bad a machine is until you open it up. Old coffee machines are like old men, they may look okay on the outside, but inside can easily be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175577767/0#6 date=1175581147
    But it looks to be in great condition - hopefully you wont have to pay the price for it accordingly. *I was going to say three-groupers
    are farily cheap because theres not much demand for them for domestic use.... but Dennis yesterday, you today...

--Robusto
    Yep, 3 gr machines are beyond the pale... I got a 3 gr only to pull apart and reconfigure into a franken machine with a different brewing method for each group. But thats because Im mad.

I actually think Robustos machine is about the max Id really want in a home situation ie. a 5l boiler and 2 groups is pretty nice (still overkill, but nice overkill).

But here we are in the extreme machine category.... ahhh it feels good to be extreme. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175577767/0#12 date=1175583820
    But here we are in the extreme machine category.... ahhh it feels good to be extreme. ;D
    Yep, if you are going to do something - do it with flair....

And this is about the only "extreme" sport / hobby Im game to undertake at my stage of life. ;) ;D ;D ;D

ps. Seagrave - even the showercreens look to be in good order - seems like youll need to focus on the looks and find, or have made, a side panel for it.

Sperky, Robusto et al. - looky here...mama mia! I think the Griswalds have one of these...

Sphera 4 Group
    # Heavy duty machine
    # 6000 Watts
    # Boiler 22 litres
    # Large capacity copper boiler
    # heat exchangers with high heating capacity, drain tap in accessible position, new anti-suction valve
    # Dimensions: 1210mm (W) x 540mm (H) x 560mm (D)

Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh

Now thats extreme......

But got nowhere to fit something that large... :( :(

Yeah dennis im in brissy, i wouldnt think about it if i wasnt.

The Griswalds would definitely need the Family Truckster to cart that one home.

Imagine the neighbors. "Hey, Griswald, whatcha gonna do with that four-grouper?"

Bend over and Ill show ya...

Being a mere male -- or so Im often reminded by the women here -- it would be no good for me. I cant operate all those groups, think, breathe and chew gum all at the same time.

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1175577767/0#13 date=1175584461
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175577767/0#12 date=1175583820
    But here we are in the extreme machine category.... ahhh it feels good to be extreme. *;D
    Yep, if you are going to do something - do it with flair....

And this is about the only "extreme" sport / hobby Im game to undertake at my stage of life. ;) ;D ;D ;D
    Agree. Ditto for me -- apart from tinkering with that massive "6-group" diesel on my boat. Should see the heat exchanger on that one. ;D

-Robusto

Segrave,

Well did you get the machine..... went for a bargain price of $99 :o :o :o

Yes i did pick this machine up for the fine price of $99 :o :o :o looking forwd to picking her up so i can get inside and check that boiler and x-changers out.

Congratulations..... 8-) :)

You truly have a machine which appears to need very little work for a totally unbelievable price.

Well done indeed. :) :)

Woo hoo Segrave - congrats!

Wow... $99... you could sell the parts for more. You cant argue with that price.

Keep us posted when you get it. This is less an extreme machine category than a commercial restoration category.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175577767/15#23 date=1175857047
    This is less an extreme machine category than a commercial restoration category.
    Mark,

The way I look at it is:

Old commercial machine + TLC and elbow grease (restoration) = extreme machine ;)

Keep us posted when you get it.
    Yes please Segrave..... and lots of pictures - especially of the group assembly / heat exchanger.

Terrific acquisition Segrave ..... unbelievable bargain :o.

Looks as though it is a 2-Group version of this machine here so any parts, if you do need them and cant get from Pedro, should be readily available. Great stuff mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Mal.

Well done, a bargain-basement pickup for an extremely good extreme machine. With a bit of luck it mau just been to be plugged in, plumbed and away it goes.
    -Robusto

Yeah i hope there is a few things wrong with it , cheap things cause i do love getting inside and fixing things. I want it to be a bit of a learning experience cause i have a feeling i wont be able to stop buying these "in-need-o-love" commercial machines. :)

Segrave,

Even if in really good condition I would be doing a strip and descale of the boiler and the HX..... check the group jets (depends what the groups look like).... replace the group gaskets (pretty cheap from Coffeeparts).... check the steam valves and the anti vacuum valve on the boiler....

There is lots you can do to restore an even good machine to excellent condition - and it wont cost much either.

Makes for an interesting and rewarding hobby. :) ;D

--A hobby which also, coincidently, makes enjoyable coffee

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1175577767/15#29 date=1176018466
    --A hobby which also, coincidently, makes enjoyable coffee

-Robusto
    Ill have to mark you down for that one Robusto.

The road to enjoyable coffee starts off as follows:
    Beans
    Grinder
    Distribution/tamp
    Machine

and I though youd know better.... *;)

(In deference to Sparky)

A hobby which also, coincidently, helps to make enjoyable coffee.

-Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1175577767/30#30 date=1176026205

Ill have to mark you down for that one Robusto.

The road to enjoyable coffee starts off as follows:
    Beans
    Grinder
    Distribution/tamp
    Machine

and I though youd know better.... ;)
    Well seeing we are being pedantic.... ;)

The road to enjoyable coffee (according to the inventers of espresso) is dependant on:

1. Miscela (blend)
    2. Macinadosatore (grinder-doser)
    3. Macchina espresso (espresso machine)
    4. Mano delloperatore (hand of the operator)

And thats the 4Ms allegedly in order of importance.... :)

So Sparky..... you score better than Robusto but you still didnt get 100% ;D ;D

ok so i went to pick this beauty up today... found out the reason for sale is that its from a forclosed self storage place and the owner of the business is selling the contents. So i rang up this morning and tee up the pick up no probs he wasnt gonna be there but someone else would be and so went to pick it up and it was in nice condition like in the picks the only problems was no pump/motor. So im hopeing that there in the storage somewhere and im gonna ring the dude tomorro and see if he has them if not ill be looking for a reconditioned motor and pump for a resonable price. Regarding the rest of the machine pics will follow shortly as i start to strip her down till then goodnite

Congrats on the pick up.

Just a note on the power supply. I got a dedicated 20 amp power point installed for around $350. That was just a yellow pages call, if you happen to know an electrician Id be surprised if you couldnt get a better price. Mine was a fairly straight forward install at a short distance from the meter box, using external conduit.

Worst part is that Im in a rental property.

Quote Originally Posted by Framey link=1175577767/30#34 date=1176303954
    Worst part is that Im in a rental property.
    Ohhhhhh....

S350 for something you will have to leave behind.... Ouch :o :( :( :(

Quote Originally Posted by Segrave link=1175577767/30#33 date=1176299457
    So im hopeing that there in the storage somewhere and im gonna ring the dude tomorro and see if he has them if not ill be looking for a reconditioned motor and pump for a resonable price.
    Good luck Segrave... I hope they can find the motor and pump....

Its pretty hard getting a good second hand one (most of us who might have them will want to hold on to them as spares for our own machines)....

And if you need to get a new one.... CoffeeParts is your best bet but even at their great prices you are still looking at the wrong side of $400 :( :(

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Thats what I tell myself anyway *:)

Thats unfortunate, but not uncommon for some commercial machines to use external pumps.

Fingers crossed that the motor/pump turns up and in good condition.

-Robusto