Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Marzocco

La Marzocco

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Did anyone see the LM that went on ebay tonight? It looked like an old GS1 2 group maybe. Wondering if a CSer picked it up for a restoration?

Re: La Marzocco

Yep, I bid a few hundred bucks just for sport. It ended up going for something like 2K, which was impressive! It was quite a unique machine; according to the LM 80th anniversary book, they did a limited number of GS1s that had the extraction controlled by timers, before volumetric controls were available. Ill check and see if the book lists the production run; there wont have been many made.

I had a laugh I bid a bit more then that for kicks. I had my heart in my mouth when I almost won. and my fiance telling me that If I did the wedding was off. :P

That machine was listed for quite a long time....definitely worth something restoring!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 link=1182951021/0#0 date=1182951021
    Did anyone see the LM that went on ebay tonight? It looked like an old GS1 2 group maybe. Wondering if a CSer picked it up for a restoration?
    Hi,

I bid a grand, then decided Id go up to $1700 if I had to to get it........tell im hes dreaming!

I hope that the high bidder surfaces somewhere with some info about what hes up to with it; it would be a fun restoration, just expensive!

Regards,
    Phil

I was watching it before bean bay. It ended about 10 min before the start. I was surprised. I estimated 3K with another 2K for the restoration.
    At 2K, that was a very good price. Im sure it will take a bit of effort to restore though.... but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 link=1182951021/0#2 date=1182952578
    l and my fiance telling me that If I did the wedding was off. *:P
    I had a laugh, thats the exact same response I got when I suggested bidding on it!

I contemplated telling her that the GS would be cheaper than a wedding...but thought better of it. :-X ;)

I bid up to 16 or 1,700(cant remember last bid!!!)

My restoration man said leave it after that probably because he knew how much he would charge

to repair it,and what I could get with the same amount of $$.

Still, if I was more handy at 2k self restore would have been a great option good luck whoever you are.

A proper restore (ala. Paul Pratt) would be difficult. However, getting the machine into some form of working spec probably wouldnt have been too difficult and maybe not too expensive (maybe 2-3K at most). So all up Id estiamte a working LM-based machine for say $5k or less(including PID temperature control of the brew boiler). It would have been a fun project.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1182951021/0#8 date=1183532418
    A proper restore (ala. Paul Pratt) would be difficult. However, getting the machine into some form of working spec probably wouldnt have been too difficult and maybe not too expensive (maybe 2-3K at most). So all up Id estiamte a working LM-based machine for say $5k or less(including PID temperature control of the brew boiler). It would have been a fun project.

Cheers,

Mark.
    that would be a worst case scenario. It needed a cleanup but who knows, it could have just needed a new pump or had a busted thermostat.

that machine look old and uncared for....a proper restore would be well worth the effort.

these were the first saturated groups by lm to come out?

full descale and replacement of all seals etc would be in order.

Hi everyone
    I am the person who bought the GS so hopefully in the not to distant future you will see it fully restored to its former glory

Good stuff retroman,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and well all be looking forward to your resto of the fabulous GS,

Mal.

8-) so whats the plans for it? extravagant home machine? or for a cafe? Any info on the condition of it? :)

The machine was as I expected, not very good at all, though it is a rare machine and worthy of a full restoration. It will receive a PID system to bring it up to modern specs, so hopefully when it is finished it will perform as good as a modern Linea with the old world charm.

Will you document the restoration here? Everyone here would love to see it!! ;D ;D :D

Cheers, Mark

Brilliant! Its great to see the GS will feature here in CS land. How are the boilers? Any leaks/cracks? That would be one of my worst case scenarios and not too uncommon for LM boilers (eg my brothers LM FB3 boiler cracked recently... an expensive fault).

Cheers and congratulations on getting a really unique machine.

Mark.

I havent had a good look at the machine as I have a couple of other machines to finish off though I will keep you all informed and post some photos. It could be a while though I am sure the end result will be great.

Still looking forward to seeing those photos!! ;)

Any update here? Id like to see it too

The machine was probably one of the worst I have ever seen. The chassis was almost rusted away so I had what remained of the chassis measured up and laser cut out of stainless steel. So far it has been painted, descaled, had heaps of new parts bought, PID system added, autofill added, too much to mention. I am trying to add some before and after photos though I am having trouble, could someone please advise me on how to add more than one picture.

photo2

photo3

photo4

photo5

Photo6

Photo7

Photo8

I will post more pictures as I progress with the machine and as you can see it has a long way to go. It looks a little messy as I am playing around with the wiring.

Here is a great shot of inside the brew boiler, lots of great flavour in there.

Looks like dijon mustard.

Very impressive, keep us posted.

Terrific work so far Retro [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif].... Have you replaced most of the copper tubing with new copper as well or just a very detailed cleaning job? Either way, looks fantastic mate and a real credit to you 8-). Cant wait to see it once youre into the home straight ;D,

Cheers,
    Mal.

All of the copper piping is original except for the additional piping used for the autofill unit. I have a 70lt ultrasonic bath which descales everything and then I hand polish each copper part. I only replace parts that ar neccesary to try and keep it original, I keep all of the original parts which have been replaced.

Looks to me that youre the man for the job......... Awesome work mate.

Quote Originally Posted by retroman link=1182951021/30#32 date=1193952725
    I have a 70lt ultrasonic bath which descales everything and then I hand polish each copper part.
    Wow :o! Thats one BIG U/S Bath mate... I used to have a 10Lt unit and thought that was the ducks nuts, 70 Lt is bordering on industrial. It certainly does a great job though, the copper looks like newly drawn tube rather than cleaned and polished, once again, top job mate 8-)....

Mal.

It would be a pity to cover this up - fantastic job! I cant imagine that this would ever have looked this good when it came off the production line - any chance of clear covers?

All I can say is... Wow! Very impressive resto there Retro.

Is this for fun - or do you do this for a museum/living or something?

Very impressive! A top notch job it looks like!! Do keep us informed! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Java "Not easily impressed!" phile

Here are a couple more horror shots of the GS

Blown element

Quote Originally Posted by retroman link=1182951021/30#39 date=1194077799
    Blown element
    Oh, just a little bit blown :P.... could probably patch it up retro ;) ;D

Mal.

At this point Id say in my best Yorksire accent: "Luxury..."

Python refs aside, brilliant job so far. You were obviously the best man for this job. Thanks for posting all the gorey details.

By the looks of it, from the photos on page 2, you already have an SSR hooked up ready for the PID?

I binned the thermostat and have hooked up a PID system using a Fuji PID, added an autofill system as it was originally manual fill, vacuum breaker, and few other bits and pieces to brind it up to spec though still retaining its GS charm.

Retroman,

Looks like you are doing a sensational job. If my $2.50 bid had to lose to anyone, Im glad its you ;P

Nice to see that you found a use for the timer holes. To balance it out maybe you could just put a stopwatch display of some description in the adjacent hole, in case you want to time your shots. Its not going to change the GS charm much more than having a PID sticking out!

Cheers,

Luca

Awesome job man! cant wait to see the finished photos!

Cmon Retro, when are the next photos coming??? :o :o

From all the rust that was evident in the first batch of photos compared to the last ones, I should have given you my first car (1982 Datsun Skyline) that I bought from a guy who lived by the beach to patch up the rust ;D Top job, keep the photos comin!! :)

I have finally finished pieceing together my GS after so many highs and lows. Since I posted my last photos I had the machine ready for a test and as the brew boiler pressure started to rise a micro hair line crack opened up on the boiler end cap, so I had to pull it apart. I gave it to my regular welder and found a whole family of cracks so it was decided to cut the end off and weld a new pipe on. Apart from leaking like a sieve *while testing and slowy one by one sorting each leak out I have finally come to this. I must say if anyone out there *is thinking about finding an old Marzocco to restore think again , I would only recommend it if you have had experience in restoring old clapped out machines. The GS has been my biggest test and I have pulled together every resource that I know of and countless hours of my time.

Photo1

N.B.:
    Great photos mate but can you please ensure that attached images are sized to a max of 640x480 pixels as this reduces the amount of scrolling required in most browsers....

Thanks,
    Mal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast