Thread: 2 group Expobar (red)

2 group Expobar (red)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    New to industry - I have the opportunity to purchase a 2 group Expobar - 3 years old Im told, dont know anything about them except its red in colour. Does colour indicate a particular model as I dont know model. What price should I be paying? Are they a good machine? Comparable to?
    Thanks.

Re: 2 group Expobar (red)

Hi there,

Expobars are priced at the cheap end of the spectrum. Frankly, I havent heard many positive things about commercial expobars doing decent volumes. If you are buying second-hand, its probably worth your while factoring in the cost of having a technician do a full service on the machine. I wouldnt pay more than about $600. If youre going for a second-hand machine, a nuova simonelli or a wega might be better value.

Cheers,

Luca

Thanks, I considered about 500 dollars so your advice is well timed, Cheers

I have had an Expobar for a few years. Started using it in a coffee cart situation.Seemed to keep up with 200 coffees a day. Not alot really. I still use it today and have not had any problems to date. They have many parts in common with the Italian machines, such as the Sirai pressure stat. Procon pump and the auto key pads are the same manuf. as LM. They are a close to true E-61 grouphead, in my understanding. I made a few mods so as i could fit more coffee in to the basket by getting the dispersion bolt machined down. Can really updose if thats the way you want to go.Style is a personal preference. I also did a few temp measurements during the shots nothing to scientific,but seemed to be stable enough. Thats just my experience.

Martin.

Depends entirely on your intended application / situation.

I personally wouldnt buy anything I cant see running in front of me (eg a failed pump or failed touch pad or electronic controller or a combination of all could add a thou to your "blown out of the water" budget.

After that, *I respect but I am afraid I dont agree with some of the other advice above. A 3 year old machine with little use and in "suit new machine buyer" condition, could be worth 4gs to a business owner who would have bought a newieat somewhere around 6 gs....or, if it turns out to be a clapped out old hulk it might only be worth $500.00....how can you know if you dont see & inspect?

If it is for business, *ask the vendor where the closest service agent is and then telephone the agent and verify. What good is any machine if you find they may not have a service agent nearby or if you cant find the importer? If you dont have good service backup in a cafe, youre sunk then it doesnt matter how cheap it is......

And finally, what good is "brand favouritism" in a used machine.....eg is a second hand / used brand X better than a second hand / used expobar? Surely this is all subject to individial condition not brands.

So again, to go back to the first line, depends on you & your situation.

Regardz,
    FC.

gotta agree with FC.

I bought this Grimac from Chris as a resto project (I think it was a trade in on a new machine). My mum had been talking about upgrading from her krups so thought i would refurb this and give it to her.

Point is the machine was working when I got it (put in a new pressure stat though). All runs fine and was pulling shots ok. Not knowing the machines history I didnt drink any as the machine was pretty grubby and I didnt think the previous owner.

I have now done a partial strip down (mapped out the wiring diagram as I was going to rewire it as it was all a bit of a mess) but havent fully dissasembled the boiler etc.

So to first inspection machine looks ok, see pict.

even internally doesnt look too bad

still looks ok

but then....

its an e61 style machine so picture of the mushroom. Not sure whether it has ever been descaled. took a bit of effort to get the mushroom out as there was a fair bit of scale build up in there.

picture of what the mushroom is supposed to look like. This is out of my Minore I. I descaled the Minore on the weekend and I might have left it a little long in between descalings, as I had a few scale spots. These were where the chrome has flaked off.

LES

Hi Eduardas,
    The red 2 group Expobar is a MONROC which I sell a lot of and are a very good and reliable machine,easy to work on and I have spare parts.If I can help you send me an email at les@coffeeroasters.com.au
    Les