Thread: Kees van der Westen Espresso Machines

Kees van der Westen Espresso Machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Anyone have links to reviews, test, images of Kees van der Westens machines :(.

The official website is limiting..

Any pricing on these units in AUS - vendors?

Thanks in advance.

TC

Re: Kees van der Westen Espresso Machines

Yeah, theyre dead sexy arent they 8-)

Veneziano import LM so will be able to get them. They are big bucks- think synesso territory..

The sad thing is a 3 group Mistral sold on dodgybay last week for $6k :(

Somebody picked up an absolute bargain!

I dont understand how they dont fall over backwards. :o

The idea of foot-operated steam wands is tre cool! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1200908305/0#1 date=1200910045
    Yeah, theyre dead sexy arent they 8-)

Veneziano import LM so will be able to get them. They are big bucks- think synesso territory..

The sad thing is a 3 group Mistral sold on dodgybay last week for $6k :(

Damn, that would have looked so out of place in here Chris that people would have HAD to come in to check it out.sheesh 6k.....bugger.

Yeah I watched that machine like a hawk, Im not gonna lie. I was hoping someone on here would have picked it up, just quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1200908305/0#2 date=1200911792
    I dont understand how they dont fall over backwards. :o
    They have back legs! C of G would be well forward of them even loaded with Cups

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1200908305/0#2 date=1200911792
    The idea of foot-operated steam wands is tre cool! 8-)
    have to be carefull not to steam your toes !!..I had a laugh

Anyone have links to reviews, test, images of Kees van der Westens machines .
    Well, there are a few good photos on Fabien Schmidts La Potenza site. Its in German, but youll be able to feel your way around if you dont speak it. I checked my blog and I dont have an entry up on Rio Coffee, but Ill try to get it up in a few weeks. They have a Mirage. Morgans coffee also has a Mirage; Ill try to attach a photo to this post. For some reason, I have had a bit of difficulty getting photos loaded up on my blog using this mac.

As for reviews ... well, I can give you a few quick notes from a few quick uses. The bastone style actuator is basically a big switch that has a little spring to it, so it gives fantastic feedback and is really easy to use. The lever steam pedal opens a solenoid and you can throttle the steam knob up or down. The legs make it easy to wipe under the machine. Espresso-wise, the Mirages lean towards the thick and gloopy end of the spectrum, but I cant really remember what I thought about clarity of flavour. At Rio, the shots were quite good, from memory, but I was using a Robur with it and a rather nice blend that Dom had brought back from Japan, where they have access to a lot of coffee that we dont, so there were certainly a lot of other factors contributing to a great cup. Kees groups look like very highly modified E61 groups. One nifty feature is that he has redirected the three-way discharge into the body of the machine and through there into the drain tube, which means that he can then have an adjustable height drip tray. The new models have a cool mixing manifold in them that helps to keep all of the various things at the temperature that Kees wants them at. On the bad side, the Mirage seems to have a relatively small boiler and it doesnt hold a lot of cups on top ... Im not sure how it would handle a massive and sustained rush, but you never know.

As for the Mistral, Ill try and snap a shot of Meccas next time Im there. If past experience is anything to go by, you wont have to wait very long ;P

The sad thing is a 3 group Mistral sold on dodgybay last week for $6k

Which generation was it? Legend has it that Douwe Egberts bought a dozen or so over a decade ago. Andrew and I tracked down a few of them that had been refurbished and we explored the possibility of getting one of those for Maling Room. Although they were very cheap, we ultimately decided against it. These machines were built around early Lineas. I got in touch with Kees and it would have taken a fair bit of money and effort to soup them up to current specs, so without the ability to actually see them in person we thought it was more prudent to pick up something that would hopefully be a bit more reliable. ... even if only by a little ;P

At that price, the machine is a decent buy, but it would be wasted on someone who wasnt going to pimp it out properly. Absolute bargain is probably an overstatement. The glass isnt cheap to replace ... dont even ask how much the canopy costs!

Cheers,

Luca

Site Sponsor

Hi all,

Thought Id better switch usernames for this one, as Im switching hats ...

Any pricing on these units in AUS - vendors?
    Thanks for thinking of us, Chris.

To clarify whats available, the Mistral has had a design change and is currently being manufactured by La Marzocco. *This is the dual-boiler machien. *I gather that they bought the rights to the machine from Kees or something. *The Mirage, in all of its various permutations and combinations, is a heat exchanger machine currently being manufactured by Kees. *In fact, it was lovely to hear that interest in the Mirages has increased to the point where Kees recently moved to a larger factory. *Kees was doing a limited edition run of Speedsters, the single-group dual boiler machine with La Marzocco internals, but Im not sure if thats over or not.

We sell and support La Marzocco and have done so for a while now. *We have also talked to Kees about importing his lovely machines, but to date havent made any moves to import any. *This is largely because every Mirage (and Mistral, for that matter) is made to order, so we didnt want to just keep them sitting around in configurations that people are not interested in. *Naturally, we would be just delighted to see if we could get one in for anyone who is seriously interested, particularly seeing as part of the service would include setting it up and bench testing it ;)

Price-wise, as Chris said, these machines arent cheap. *The Mirage is priced in the ballpark of the LM FB80 with the same number of groups, but the options that you choose will impact on the price. *Kees prices are in Euro, so yall get the joy of considering the daily exchange rate when purchasing. *The Mistral is a good deal more expensive than the Mirage. *The Speedster is priced at a few thousand dollars above the GS3.

Buying these machines isnt like going down to Coles for tea and biscuits, either! *The deal is that construction of your machine starts after your order, and deposit, is placed. *They are quite literally built to your specifications ... well ... your choice of specifications from the options available. *(Speaking of which, LM is going to be announcing some new options for the Mistral this year, but I wont spoil the surprise until they make it public.) *This means that there will be quite some time between placing an order, paying a deposit and getting the machine. *In the case of the Mistral, this could be up to a year ... one would think that if it only takes nine months to conceive a child, it wouldnt take that long to make an espresso machine ;P

... so if all of that hasnt scared you off, please feel free to get in touch about a Kees machine! They are certainly functional works of art that everyone enjoys immensely.

Cheers,

Luca

was in a cafe in Sydney on Wedensday that had two of these mirage machines. dead sexy, from the back look like a synesso, barista (nice bloke) mentioned that the problem with the foot steamer was that if the pedal failed, you couldnt fall back to using the tap, therefore rendering the wand redundant

Site Sponsor

Tobys in Sydney have them. Just bought some parts from them and they do have stock. hope that helps

far out these machines are soooooooooo sexy.
    perfect for a preposed future endevour of mine :D
    haha.
    might have to head to mecca or tobys to check one out in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A332527460 link=1200908305/6#6 date=1201262986
    Espresso-wise, the Mirages lean towards the thick and gloopy end of the spectrum
    theres a problem with that??? *:D :D ;D