Thread: Basic info on Rancilio 2 group please

Basic info on Rancilio 2 group please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi. I just bought a working Rancilio 2 group compact machine. I do not know the model number but it is push button, has an external pump, large boiler (approx. 30cm dia x 50cm length) two groups, two frothers, one hot water.

I have a few questions -

It came with a water filter and some other smaller filter (possibly water softener?). What is the order in relation to the pump that these should be connected. It looks like all water supplied to the machine is via the pump. Is this correct? There was also a foot operated valve that was supplied with the machine, but I dont know if it was part of the setup or just got included accidently. Has anyone ever seen a coffee machine with a foot valve?

Is the push button timer programmable? If so how is it done?

Obviously Im new to this. Thanks for any info.

Re: Basic info on Rancilio 2 group please

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.
    The foot operated valve may operate the steam wand.

DONT USE

hi set-au
    if you post a pic would make it easier.
    on the front face there is an ID plate this info or a pic is needed
    then we can help
    graham

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics. The serial number placard is very hard to read and this is the best pic I could get. There seems to be no model number. I exaggerated the size of the boiler because I was going by memory - it is more like ~20cm dia.
    http://setaus.bigblog.com.au/gallery.do?id=194072

Ohhh the hurdles I had to go through and the time wasted to get four measly photos hosted on Bigpond... I hope it works.

Photobucket, flickr or picasa are less hassle.

Take a gander here on how to post pictures on CS. :)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1187136315

Java "We like pictures!" phile

Welcome to the forum, Set_au,

The usual conection set up is: mains to softner, softner to pump, pump to machine.

The buttons look similar to those on mine (and many other) machines. To program them, load up the portafilter for making coffee.

Press and hold the star button until LEDs light up and blink.

Press the single or double cup button, and when you have required amount of coffee in cup (30 or 60 ml) press that button again. Done.

Good luck

DONT USE

the machine is a Rancilio S10 DE
    manufactured from 1985 approx

the brass bulb on the end of the braided hose is a Water pressure limiter valve.
    this screws onto the tap
    the hose then screws onto the white filter housing(noting the directional arrows for water flow on the top)
    then to the pump(again noting directional arrows)
    then to machine.

the end fittings on the braided hose do not usually use teflon tape as the ends are tapered

there are TWO electrical cables coming from the machine. hook these up the wrong way(like lots of plumbers / home handy men) and you will blow the electronic box or boxes

the coffee water levels are not set through the touch pads. you can push the buttons all you like but nothing will change.

these have a volumetric control box internal and settings are by screw adjustment.

as with any electrical product if you dont know what you are doing then dont touch

Hi Set_au,
    looks like my s-series that I have at home.
    Although it may be the model series before that.
    From the looks of it though, a lot of the specs/parts will be similar across the ranges - programming the buttons included.

If you have an email box that can take 2.6meg pdf, shoot me a PM with the address and Ill forward the tech manual for the S-series. (Dont publish your email addy publicly)

If you can make out the serial number Mocopan can probably tell you its history.
    You want to call the service department and ask for Thomas Milonas - hes been pretty helpful.

Robusto is pretty well right with the filter setup - filter, softener, pump is the way Id do it.
    The manual should show you how to program the buttons.
    Im guessing the foot switch is for steaming milk.

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1205185920/0#7 date=1205291547
    the machine is a Rancilio S10 DE
    manufactured from 1985 approx

the coffee water levels are not set through the touch pads. you can push the buttons all you like but nothing will change.

these have a volumetric control box internal and settings are by screw adjustment.
    Are you sure about that, Fix? :-/ Certainly look like the touch pads on my machine, which Ive successfully programmed as I described, without touching the control box.

Thanks for all the info. You have been a great help. The function of two cables that emerge from the machine are pretty obvious as one is a 15A plug that shall go into a 15A GPO and the other an inline socket which goes to the pump. Is it likely that the pressure limiting valve needs testing/servicing or do they not go out of spec with age? I will search the pushbutton modules for adjustment screws, otherwise Ill try the programming method suggested.

Have fun, Set_au. * Pressure limiting valves are set at around 4 bar for Procon pumps. *

Are you sure about that, Fix? Certainly look like the touch pads on my machine, which Ive successfully programmed as I described, without touching the control box.

looks can be deceiving

sorry i dont have the manual for the S10

the s series came out in the early 90s.
    these were a compact machine.
    internal pump
    different electonics
    different boiler
    steam valves, group parts, and pumps are the same through most of the rancilio range
    the manual will only cause more confusion

if you want to check the accuracy of info ring Thomas in spares at Mocopan Coffee in Melbourne. He has been there for about 10 years.
    Started after i left mocopan in sydney

I will search the pushbutton modules for adjustment screws,

there are no adjusting screws in the touch pads.
    the screws are in the control box located inside the machine(by memory remove the left hand side cover)

there are two control boxes. one controls the water level in the boiler
    the other controls coffee water volume. the screws are in this module

Ok, presumably the filler control box is the one which has the level sense wire going back to it. It sits on the left side on the machine, behind the level indicator tube. The pressure regulator states 350kPa so that seems in order. My only remaining question regards the water softener. It is an Aqualife unit and it looks like an under-sink water purifier canister. It has no controls on it as I have seen on some regenerable water softeners - just in and out fittings. Are these style softeners able to be regenerated or do they need replacement filters? One other thing that was supplied is a non-return valve but no one has mentioned including one in the plumbing so Im assuming I can omit it. I dont even know if it was part of this machine.

Thanks again
    Scott

DONT USE

hi again

the non return valve is fitted before the pressure limiter valve.

the white housinig is a water filter housing, it is not a water softener unit.
    if you undo the bottom of the housing it will have a removable internal filter.
    the standard filter size is 10 inch.
    depending on the water quality in your area depends on waht filter cartridge you use. basic dirt filters are available from most hardware, but it is best to use a cartridge with an inbuilt scale inhibitor, available from most coffee repairers

in the pict you didnt show what you thought was a foot switch
    not required when hooked to mains water supply

graham