Thread: La Cimbali M27

La Cimbali M27

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    when i use the steam arm, it seems to shoot jets of water every few seconds timing it 30 sec =
    1/4 cup of water
    ps loads of steam aswell which is great
    any ideas
    cheers

DONT USE

Re: La Cimbali M27

yeah sounds like the boiler has overfilled
    possible inlet valve prob or electronics

get a milk jug ,relieve about a litre of hot water from hot water tap
    after doing this does it still p out water
    graham

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1205215110/0#1 date=1205217153

graham

I agree on the overfilled.... but the hot water tap wont lower the level.... it will probably increase it.

La Cimbalis have an economiser which mixes water from the boiler and cold water from the mains (fed via the pump)..... the more hot water you draw out less water comes from the boiler and the pump forces more cold water in - resulting in a (slight) net gain.

There is a boiler drain on the bottom of the sight gauge (water level).... drain some water from that ..... but only after the machine has cooled or ouchie!!! :-[ :-[

cheers the machine has been sitting for awhile (im picking. brought it secondhand) things are starting to free up after being used a few times
    cheers for the fix took about 6 cups out ( 3 then tired the steam then took another 3 seemed to do the trick)

see what you mean javab just re tried not as bad after trying the water trick but still there.
    only problem is this version has no sight glass any clues as were to look for a bleed off valve?

MMMM,

Just had a quick look at the manual I have for a M27 (different to your model unfortunately)...... and it has a sight glass and a drain at the bottom of it....

The only thing I can suggest is follow the pipes from the lowest level of the boiler and one should go to either a tap or more usually a blind cap which you just remove to drain the boiler.....

Other than that - I cant think of anything.

DONT USE

the hot water mixer valve is located after the boiler

the mixer works on about 75 - 80 % hot water and the balance in cold. some of these valves are adjustable externally others are not

hot water is drawn from the boiler and mixed with water supplied from the inlet.
    if the machine is operating correctly, the boiler level drops to a preset level, the electronics open the water inlet solenoid allowing the boiler to refill to the correct level.

your boiler has overfilled
    draining the boiler will not fix the problem

when you openned the water valve and drained off some water it improved the steam. when you drain off more it improved again.
    but the problem came back ie it was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by odaveo link=1205215110/0#4 date=1205222455
    see what you mean javab just re tried not as bad after trying the water trick but still there.
    only problem is this version has no sight glass any clues as were to look for a bleed off valve?
    If you take off the RHS panel, you will see a fitting that is connected to the RHS of the boiler( about a third of the way up from the base of the boiler). The brass fitting has a stainless drain "sleeve" attached to it. If you can get a piece of tube or hose around 5-8mm in diameter, sleeve it over the stainless bit, and slightly undo the fitting, the water should drain from this.

Im sure the M27 has this bleed fitting. Now, this wont exactly clean the boiler out, but it will drain the water.

If youre machine is over filling, which it sounds as though it is, the M27 has a probe on the left hand side of the boiler, just above the element. When the unit is cold, remover the probe (and its single wire), being careful not to damage the teflon housing that the probe sits in. Once you have removed the probe, you will notice it is straight, with about one third of it on a 35-45 degreee angle. The angled bit more than likely has some build-up on it, which you need to scrape off - use a wire brush.

The reason it is over filling will be the fact that the water level hits higher than that tip of the probe, because all the build-up on the tip stops it from registering where it should. The connection should earth when it hits the tip, therefore shutting off the automatic fill.

Either its that, or you may need to make sure youre machine is level.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1205215110/0#2 date=1205220865
    Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1205215110/0#1 date=1205217153

graham

I agree on the overfilled.... but the hot water tap wont lower the level.... it will probably increase it.

La Cimbalis have an economiser which mixes water from the boiler and cold water from the mains (fed via the pump)..... the more hot water you draw out less water comes from the boiler and the pump forces more cold water in *- resulting in a (slight) net gain.

There is a boiler drain on the bottom of the sight gauge (water level).... drain some water from that ..... but only after the machine has cooled or ouchie!!! :-[ :-[
    Java, i think the m27s didnt have the economiser. I know of a guy that had a 3 group selectron and it didnt have it. Pretty sure the M28 autos did though.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeedr link=1205215110/0#8 date=1205552448
    Java, i think the m27s didnt have the economiser. I know of a guy that had a 3 group selectron and it didnt have it. Pretty sure the M28 autos did though.
    coffeedr,

According to the manuals I have - both the M27Basic and M27Start have the economiser (there are even instructions on how to adjust it!)....

So Im not sure why the M27Selectron model didnt :-/

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1205215110/0#9 date=1205561012
    Java, i think the m27s didnt have the economiser. *I know of a guy that had a 3 group selectron and it didnt have it. *Pretty sure the M28 autos did though.
    coffeedr,

According to the manuals I have - both the M27Basic and M27Start have the economiser (there are even instructions on how to adjust it!)....

Both the Basic and Start had a "manual" type standard tap valve. I thought the only way you could incorporate the economizer was to have a electronic solenoid type set up.

The Basic has a normal "manual" tap but the start has a solenoid valve....

They both have a "Water mixer" at the exit of the boiler and in both cases it is claimed this can be adjusted to set the hot water temperature.....

I can understand that when a solenoid hot water valve is used.... as the boiler fill solenoid / pump can be operated at the same time and the water mixed - but I cant see how that can be done when a tap is turned on as the boiler fill and pump wont be operated..... but the valve is clearly shown (maybe it doesnt do anything ::))

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1205215110/0#9 date=1205561012
    Java, i think the m27s didnt have the economiser. *I know of a guy that had a 3 group selectron and it didnt have it. *Pretty sure the M28 autos did though.
    coffeedr,

My bad, JavaB. I kinda assumed since the Selectron didnt then nor would the other m27s in the series. I see the start had the economiser.

Tis a little strange though that the Selectron never had it.

cheers for the help been flat out at work will pull apart tomorrow once again thanks for your help have seen the parts before should not be a problem

I dont know about the M27, but with the M28 Start and Basic whether they have the economizer or not depends on when they were made. The earlier models had a manual hot water valve with no mixing valve while the newer ones have an electronic hot water tap. Due to the nature of the beast the economizer can only work on the ones with the electronic hot water tap. :)

Java "Loves the manual stuff" phile

hey guys .. i have a la cimbali m21 plus 2gp and i had the same problem with my machine overfilling, i thought it was the probe on the side but it was actually the control board had moved or something... i can ask my tech what exactly it was but he seemed to think that was the case... good luk