Thread: Reqd help with unknown Rancilio model

Reqd help with unknown Rancilio model

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys, long time reader....but first time poster *:-[

I have come across an older Rancilio 2 group commercial machine.

It requires a little bit of work, but all in all is in pretty good nik.

Im trying to find out which model it is. *I figure the unit is at least 15 years old, as it has a mercury relay pressurestat. *But, it does have the "newer" style Rancilio touchpads.

All wiring runs to a central board. *I am trying to re-dose the touchpads, without much luck! *I tried doing it the typical way - holding down the start/stop button for 10+ seconds, but no luck.

If anyone is familiar with these units, id appreciate any feedback.

TC

Re: Reqd help with unknown Rancilio model

Quote Originally Posted by short_black_fella link=1207534465/0#0 date=1207534415
    Hey guys, long time reader....but first time poster *:-[

I have come across an older Rancilio 2 group commercial machine.

It requires a little bit of work, but all in all is in pretty good nik.

Im trying to find out which model it is. *I figure the unit is at least 15 years old, as it has a mercury relay pressurestat. *But, it does have the "newer" style Rancilio touchpads.

All wiring runs to a central board. *I am trying to re-dose the touchpads, without much luck! *I tried doing it the typical way - holding down the start/stop button for 10+ seconds, but no luck.

If anyone is familiar with these units, id appreciate any feedback.
    Hi s_b_f and welcome,

I have resized your graphic so that we can view it without scrolling. You should be able to do that with any simple photo editor or with powertoys resizer....

regards

2mcm

Hi 2mcm

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for resizing my shot - ill make sure to size it properly next time. ;)

It looks a lot like my Z11. Only smaller - mines a 3 group.

I can tell you matey about how the FAEMA Due works and maybee you can give that a go.

Press the manual start button and the volumetric (say double) that you want to program at the same time - keep them pressed together throughout the shot, when you have sufficient volume release the manual button and then after a second or so release the volumetric button.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nmcampbell link=1207534465/0#3 date=1208313046
    It looks a lot like my Z11. Only smaller - mines a 3 group.
    Thanks NM!

Just did some searching for the z11 - found some basic manuals on rancilios website - but nothing regarding programming doses.

Have you had any experience programming your unit?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1207534465/0#4 date=1208315397
    I can tell you matey about how the FAEMA Due works and maybee you can give that a go.

Press the manual start button and the volumetric (say double) that you want to program at the same time - keep them pressed together throughout the shot, when you have sufficient volume release the manual button and then after a second or so release the volumetric button.

Cheers
    Hey Oz.

Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a try sometime tomorrow.

I thought it may have been programmed through adjusting pins on the "card" on the main board. But, ill certainly give your suggestion a try.

How old is the Due?

1995 matey - the little boards were alive and well then...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

I use the manual button for that little bit of extra control on my shots. I havent figured out how to set dosing times and if you discover anything Id appreciate hearing what you learn.

This is a problem that I had on my rancilio s20 midi that I ahve been fixing up. I thought thee was something wrong with my machine, but there is just a lockout switch on the main circuitboard. It is a blue wire clip on the bottom right of my circuitboard. Once I changed this, i could then program as normal (ie, hold down for about 8 secs til flashing, then make coffee and stop brew with last button on pad). Hope this works for your model! Make sure you switch off power if you do this. Sorry the photo is out of focus.

Coffee Machines Have Circut Boards? :-?
    Can someone explain more for me please?

HCK,

Many coffee machines have circuit boards..... especially those which are volumetric......

The boards are designed to replace a skilled barista in some aspects of espresso making (and generally dont do it very well!!) They contain a micro computer..... sometime several...... which look after volume, auto fill and in a superauto even the dose and tamp etc.....

If it wasnt for the circuit board in the EM6910..... it would do nothing (well maybe make a good door stop).... and even many high quality commercial machines have circuit boards which control steam pressure and group head temperature..... each group in a multi group machine being individually controlled.

The problem is electronics dont like water or steam..... and guess what is in a coffee machine..... hence they often dont have a long life - and are expensive to repair.

JavaB - if my volumetric goes south electronically (its 13 years old already) that could I put in a manual switch brewing?

Cheers

Ozscott.....

On a commercial machine - yep - and relatively simple as well. I plan to do that when mine dies.

But something like a 6910..... nope!!! It would become a door stop!

JavaB, if they dont have a long life why do people buy them?
    Also are their still commercial coffee machines being designed without a circuit board?

HCK,

For home use lots of electronics means a reasonable machine with lots of features for a lot less money.... take the em6910..... a really amazing machine for $600..... but that is achieved through the use of lots of electronics. It is an "appliance" and as such isnt designed to last forever..... or be repaired cost effectively for that matter.....

Compare that to a Silvia.... costs more.... less fancy features.... no circuit boards and will go on forever.....

In the commercial world, electronics save the Barista time and produce more consistent results (not necessarily better by the way - just consistent)...... So a board which costs many hundreds of dollars is not too scary to the cafe owner as it can save on labour costs.....

The board in my La Cimbali had been replaced just before I purchased it by the cafe owner..... he had just paid something like $500 for a new board.... for the ???? time.... and was sick of forking out for the cost and the downtime.... plus the machine wasnt as "bling" as some of the more modern ones - his loss was my gain!!!!

Some electronics is useful on home and commercial machines.... PID control for example to set brew temperature very accurately..... however much is there for time saving and speed of production (volumetric dosing).... all of which could be made so that water and steam wont affect them (environmental housings, potting in or coating with epoxy etc...) - but that costs money and makes servicing more difficult..... so generally little (and therefore less than adequate protection) is provided.

There are still commercial machines made without circuit boards (well they may have a basic circuit board in the power supply.... but that is very reliable)..... most semi automatics have no need of electronics as they use manual dosing, a pressurestat to set boiler temperature/pressure and unless multiboiler, the HX heats the brew water.... autofill is controlled by a relay..... and the Barista does the rest.... and these machines can make a great espresso..... almost forever with just basic maintenance.

Wow!
    I just learnt more then what i learn at school.
    Thanks JB for that! Im very interested in the electronic board and how it works better.
    I know it would cost a little more but why no have a easy access casing around the circuitry or airholes somewhere where the board is?
    Thanks JB.